PDA

View Full Version : Bill of sale only, no title?

Jayrz
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Ok so I am interested in a motorcycle as a project but it is partialy apart and the owner listing it for sale on CL says it has no title but a bill of sale only.

How difficult is it to obtain a title after it is back together again? and, am I protected by having a bill of sale showing where I bought it if the thing turns out to have been stolen in the past?

Thanks in advance, trying to put together a Vintage "O" bike for next MRA season.

Jay "RZ"

rybo
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
Jay,

If you have the VIN number you can call your local police and see if the bike has been reported as stolen. That is what I'd do. From there if you're builing a racebike, who cares if you have a title or not?

s

Tipys
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Im not sure sure how hard it is to get a title for a bike. But I do know that having a bill of sell will cover your ass. Only thing is if it turns out to be stolen you will lose everything you invested into it. But if you want to be safe and find out for sure weither it is stolen or not check out Cyclechex.com

Tipys
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Jay,

If you have the VIN number you can call your local police and see if the bike has been reported as stolen. That is what I'd do. From there if you're builing a racebike, who cares if you have a title or not?

s

I have tried this they wont do it. Its something about being used for personal use.

rybo
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
I have tried this they wont do it. Its something about being used for personal use.

Funny....I've done it several times with great success...

Tipys
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
ok maybe they just dont like me. It could be something with me still being young.

Jayrz
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
thanks guys I am going to start with getting the bikes VIN and giving the number a call. If they tell me to F off, well I'' try something else.

jay

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
I've looked into it and getting a title is a pain in the arse.

It's not really expensive, but there is a lot of red tape to go through and inspections, etc.

irdave
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah Jay, I've called the cops on a couple of different bikes I was looking at- told them the truth. Easy to check.

To get a title is a bit of a pain in the ass. It's a stack of paperwork. Not difficult, just a pain. But like Scott said, you only need a title if you're going to ride it on the street...

Jayrz
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks Dave,

I was looking at a YZF750R that has no title thinking it might be a decent bike for Vintage O in the MRA. Never ridden one though and as much as I'd like to ride an Aprilia again I think my wife would scream bloody murder. Well at least thats what she did when I showed her the Lola Vintage Formula Ford I wanted to go car racing with. So now the vintage car idea is out,,,,, probably time to go bike racing again.

In the 90s i won alot of races on ZX7s in Wera but they are hard as hell to find out here for some reason. I'd like a title just so I am able to get rid of whatever I end up with after I'm done so it doesn't end up being a friggin paperweight in my garage.

So if you come across an MRA Vintage "O" eligible, (10yrs or older) 750 let me know.

Jay "RZ"

oh yeah, and whatever I buy,,,,, you are getting the forks and shock

rybo
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Jay,

The R1 is Vintage O legal as of this year...

Sortarican
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
If the bike was titled in the seller's name and he just can't find it he can go down and get a copy of it for like $2.

If it was in someone else's name you can always check if the titled owner is agreeable to getting a copy and signing it over to you.
(If you can find him.)

Jayrz
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
RYBO,

damn that is right! a 98/99 R1 will be eligible next year.

didn't you buy those Spyke leathers from me?

Jay

rybo
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Jay,

I tried them on, but they were too big for me.

99 R1 would be an awesome bike in that class. This year it's being led by a TZ250.

irdave
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Shit. Vintage is about to get a whole lot faster...

And I'd be happy to work on the suspension Jay.