PDA

View Full Version : best dualsport

chad23
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I did a small search, but was to ADD to go pass the 1st page, so I decided to ask you guys.I'm wanting to get onto some trail and dirt riding. An example is to ride from Loveland to big elk to 7 and back around to loveland.Shit like that. So by all means a versitile bike would be nice and was wondering what the best bike for the $ is. I not sure who or what is making a good reliable bike. I will be new to dirt, so I'm not lookin to spend a ton of money on my first bike, so let me hear what you have to say on this subject. I'm hoping to have a bike by spring

rforsythe
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
How much dirt are you looking to get? What will your planned distribution of pavement vs dirt be? 80/20? More dirt? More pavement?

There are a lot of good options out there, depending on what you want to do. DR650's and KLR650's are defacto good choices for a mix of the two. If you're going to just tackle lighter dirt, even something like a V-Strom is fine and considerably more comfortable (though they will handle a surprising amount of nasty shit, for as heavy as they are). If you want just enough pavement capability to get you to the trail and expect to do some crazy stuff or heavy singletrack type activity, you may even consider a KTM or a dual-sport-kitted XR400/650, WR250/450, etc.

If you aren't sure and just think you want to experiment between the two, I'm a big proponent of the DR650. They are cheap to buy, simple, and will do quite a bit.

chad23
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Good ?'s. I already have a sportbike for the road so if I take out the dualsport the plan would be to find some dirt. I know i want 4 stroke. So a 70-30 split dirt to hwy would be a good guess maybe a 60-40. The dr looks good I've also concided the xr650. How are they for maintance and gas milage? I really just want something to have some fun with and see parts of Colorado you cant see from the road

rybo
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
I own a DR 650 and have to say it's the easiest thing to take care of I've ever owned. I get between 50-60 MPG on it, and find it comfortable both on and off the road. I've got a set of Michelin Ankenees' on it and they work great on the tarmac, and OK on the gravel fire roads. Suspension could use some tweaking, but other than that I have no complaints.

I rode it from Fort Collins to Santa Fe this spring and had a blast finding all kinds of back ways.

Another good call is the KLR650 as well as the XR650L. The XR is the most dirt oriented, the KLR and the DR are probably better overall dual sport bikes. The DR has a larger balance shaft in the engine, so runs a little smoother on the street than the KLR does. There is huge aftermarket support for all three bikes.

Best of luck to you in finding the perfect ride!

Devaclis
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Bi-athalon

BigE
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
As stated above, what bike is best depends on what you want it for/ to do.
I've owned an XR650L and ridden a DR. KLRs have always seemed to big for dirt. I know, everyone and their brother has ridden one around the world off-road,yadda-yadda...it's still a big fat pig of a bike. The XR-L will handle anything the R models (off-road only) will. And the DR I rode was back at IMI in the old days and I was jumping a 20ft tabletop with a girl on the back and clearing it :) (used to have pics doing a one hander, one footer, waving at the camera with my room mates girlfriend on back).
A XR650R (H2O) has mucho more power than the air cooled units, just have the license hassle which ain't much really.

PhL0aTeR
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Ive got a DR650 as well, and after chasing a guy on a DRZ450 all day up on 300/Rampart, he had much respect for the pig.

GregsGSXR
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
DRZ 400S...Best bike ever

2001 Suzuki DR-Z400S

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2001models/2001-Suzuki-DR-Z400S.jpg

zetaetatheta
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
One that's paid for and you don't mind dropping. Very nice bikes in the 1-2k range. Not much difference in a 10yr old bike--gonna have to farkle anyway.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Chad, I have an XR 650, not street legal, but set up for trails and for a bigger guy.
You are welcome to take it out for a weekend if you want to.

chad23
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Chad, I have an XR 650, not street legal, but set up for trails and for a bigger guy.
You are welcome to take it out for a weekend if you want to.
Thanks bro that would be awesome. I'll get with you cause thats an offer I couldn't say no to