PDA

View Full Version : Honda To Release Hybrid Bikes

InlineSIX24
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/2167/69/

Can a hybrid engine be shrunk small enough to fit within the very narrow confines of a motorcycle? Honda thinks it can do it ..

MikeG
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
yea, but whats the point? :wtf:

puckstr
Thu Oct 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
good idea for countries that pay way more for petrol than the US.

sadly our gas prices will catch up to the rest of the world.

Matrix
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Its going to suck to go to a race in a few years and not hear the sounds of the engines.

rforsythe
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
yea, but whats the point? :wtf:

Triple the mileage, I suppose. I wouldn't mind getting that. I don't think it would be applicable to every scenario though; high performance machines, dirt bikes, etc are probably not the target for this stuff. Unless they outlaw anything that can go over 100mph, in which case we're all fucked.

Its going to suck to go to a race in a few years and not hear the sounds of the engines.

Modern Vintage FTW!

rybo
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
The big issue with hybrids right now is the weight and size of the required batteries to make it work. I don't see that problem being solved anytime super soon.

I'm guessing we'll see the big luxo bikes (goldwing etc) hit this first.

Ultimately the hybrid is a stop gap measure at best. The end of life disposal of batteries is going to be an environmental challenge that will easily rival the CO2 problem we have today.

s

InlineSIX24
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I propose using a perpetual motor such as the gravity wheel for power..

http://peswiki.com/images/b/b1/Scott_F_Hall_gravity_wheel_a_300.jpg

Think
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ultimately the hybrid is a stop gap measure at best. The end of life disposal of batteries is going to be an environmental challenge that will easily rival the CO2 problem we have today.

s
+1

puckstr
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Unless they outlaw anything that can go over 100mph, in which case we're all fucked.

Modern Vintage FTW!

Like we will let a 100mph stop us. There will always be a way about that kind of engineering.

I am all about an all electric super bike. 100% torque on demand.