PDA

View Full Version : Grip size

Devaclis
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
What size are the standard, stock grips on a sportbike? 7/8 or 1"? I know it is different for throttle side too.

Sortarican
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
I think it's 7/8th sportbike, 1" Harleys/cruisers.

At least I hope so, just ordered 7/8" bar end mirrors.

Devaclis
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanky, just ordered my heated grips :)

Spiderman
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Yup, typically 7/8" for sportbike clip-ons. Not sure what the throttle side is, but when you buy a packaged set of grips, the throttle side is already appropriately bigger.

Spiderman
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Thanky, just ordered my heated grips :)
I bought a set that I installed on the clip-on & throttle tube, then put my old/stock grips back on over the elements. 8)

$34 @ Performance Cycle :D

Sortarican
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
How warm do those actually get?
Are they typically adjustable temp?

Spiderman
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
They get pretty hot, actually, and there is a Hi & Low setting on the (included) toggle switch. 8)

I should borrow Joe's infrared thermometer gun and test out just how hot they get.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
hmmm, this might be a necessary addition for the next several months...

Spiderman
Fri Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
As I said in Ralph's post about heated grips vs. heated gloves:

I just installed heated grips last weekend, and while they make the early morning commute a little nicer, I don't grip the grips tight enough to heat up my whole hand, so my palm is toasty, but my fingers don't get nearly the same benefit (my right pinky is still cold as I type this)... despite it's downfalls, it's still better than nothing... I'm going to try a better pair of cold-weather gloves... hopefully that will help.
They are more convenient than sticking your hand near the exhaust headers to warm it up, and with the nature of things, the right hand will be left in the cold (pun intended). :D