PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Repair

HDave
Mon Nov 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I have a crack in my rear cowl about 2"-3" it goes right through a mount hole.

Anyone have any suggestions for "glue" or "welding cement" or any other such products to do the repair and stop it from grown any furhter?

Thanks

Plasticweld
Tue Nov 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM
You can use an abs cement to glue it back together, it would be temporary but would keep the crack from growing, the key to it working is in the prep of the part, you will want to sand down the plastic with at least a 120 grit on the inside of the part until all of the color is off of the damage area so that you see nothing but black plastic, you will need some fiberglass material to help with the bonding and also give the new repair some strength, Walmart would have the cement and the glass that you need to make your repair.

I might also suggest that you can have it properly repaired, by having it welded, check out my site http://www.empiregp.com/
I make a living welding plastic and painting, it will give you plenty of examples of repairs that we can make.. hope this helps..bob

MattTLS
Sun Nov 21st, 2004, 05:55 PM
If the cowl is ABS (I think most stock bodywork is) and if there isn't material missing, you could try some sort of chemical plastic welder. I've used a product I bought at a HobbyTown called Ambroid ProWeld that works really well. All you do is hold the pieces together, apply the ProWeld to the joint (capillary action spreads the ProWeld throughout the joint), and hold the parts together for about ten seconds. The plastic is melted together.

Best thing is this stuff is cheap -- under $3 when I bought it a few years ago.

Matthew