PDA

View Full Version : do motorcycle tires puncture easily?

denver_whitest185
Sat Oct 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
so, i now have the second flat rear tire of this summer, and its bugging me. i checked my tire this morning before my peak to peak ride and it was at 33psi, and right in the middle of the ride it started feeling like the back was wandering and the bike felt sluggish. sure enough when i checked it after the 120 mile ride, i only had `10psi in it, and i had to ride on it like that all the way back to fort collins, so its ruined.

ive only had to replace a car tire twice in 6 years from something other than wear, and im now buying the second rear tire this summer because its punctured and had to ride on it because it was low (this one only has 4k miles on it)

im buying another MT75 (only because every other tire that is made to fit my rim is twice the price). is there a way to help avoid having this happen again. i mean, i know that hitting a random nail happens, but twice this close together is kinda strange.

Tipys
Sat Oct 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Its just as easy as a car its rubber your just getting some bad luck thats all. Me I have never gotta a flat tire while I was driving but other people have with me car.

BigE
Sat Oct 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Just some bad luck Ted. I got a flat on $200 tire when it was a month old, that bit the big one.
Look at this way you're getting all your flats out of the way this summer so next year you won't have any :D

DanFZ1
Sat Oct 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Street tires these days are all pretty much steel-belted radials, so there shouldn't be much difference with punctures. What I have managed to do is wind up with a busted belt? Maybe from hitting rail road tracks a bit too hard? Some crossings are just rougher than others. :(

Twice in my life I saw a belt showing after previously noticing that the rear tire would not stay at the exact psi like it used to could. They were not off as much as yours though, only like 4-6 psi lower. The first time it was toward the end of the tires life with the Pirelli Diablos. This last time it was half-way through a pair of Bridgestone BT-020's. (I have never got the maximum mileage from a tire without feeling the difference in handling about half way through. The front gets a bit of a v shape to it.)

You might ask the shop to verify the cause of failure.

Is their a rough set of tracks in you area? It might just be coincidence, but I would be interested to hear what the shop has to say.:)

DanFZ1
Sat Oct 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
(this one only has 4k miles on it)

Found on Google:

"Pirelli MT75 Buell Blast tires, rear last 2000-2500 miles, front lasts 4000"

I doubt that a 250cc motor would punish a rear tire as much as the average Buell, so I would expect to see you getting at least a little bit better mileage, but how much better? Maybe not that much.

Just thought you'd like to know.

dattaway
Sat Oct 4th, 2008, 11:00 PM
The sides of the road and middle of lanes have x10000 the nails and other debris.

HOTCARCASS
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I had a new mich 2ct get a screw in it at 200 miles. I only get 2k outa these tires because of the soft compound. Warm Tires pick up everything. Stay out of gravle where the unknown is waiting to stick you.

denver_whitest185
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 04:38 PM
well my front also has 4k miles on it, and is in near perfect condition. siriuschris says he's alot more miles from his rear MT75's, and his 07' has 23k miles on it, so he's got alot of first hand experiance.

i guess its just bad luck. oh well. the cause of failure is a pinhole leak in the rear. however because it happened halfway though a 100 mile ride, the tire got ruined riding the rest of the way.