PDA

View Full Version : Parts sources, VF1000R

merlin
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Dirk!

I have a shot at a 1985 VF1000R cheap... but it's cheap because it has a seized motor. I'd rather rebuild what I got than put someone else's problem in my new bike, but I am having some problems finding a few things for the rebuild- Like the pistons, rings and such.

Here's what I think I'll probably need:

Piston set (rings wristpins, etc)
Oil pump
Cam bearings
Rod bearings
**maybe** cams, have to wait until I get it home and pulled apart
head oiling upgrade.

Wiseco doesn't list a piston set for the VFs, nor does anyone else I can find so far (more digging is indicated). Since asking on here is less time-consuming than digging through the interwebs looking for parts- any suggestions, leads or links?

Merlyn

dirkterrell
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hey Dirk!

I have a shot at a 1985 VF1000R cheap... but it's cheap because it has a seized motor. I'd rather rebuild what I got than put someone else's problem in my new bike, but I am having some problems finding a few things for the rebuild- Like the pistons, rings and such.

Awesome, Merlyn! If you can get that thing running, you'll love it. It's a heavy beast but it handles really well for its size, and that engine... you can't beat 1000cc's of V-4 smoothness. New engine internals are hard to come by. Probably easier to find a motor (and no, you can't have mine :) ). I'll PM you the email address of a guy in the Springs who can help you.

Dirk