PDA

View Full Version : True Duel Sport tires

GregsGSXR
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Looking for tires about 50/50 street/dirt riding. Any recommendations on what Is a good tire? I dont really want knobbys for the highway and not the aggressive street tires for the single track. (I know...the easy way is to have 2 sets) Just getting opinions on what works for people.

PhL0aTeR
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Kenda 270s are nice, hook up pretty well on the dirt and are nice on the pavement. price is right as well. thats what ive had on mine for the past 1500 or so.

Bueller
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Avon Distanzia

skortch
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
IRC GP1's get good reviews. I like mine a lot, very similar to the Kenda 270's (supposedly Kenda copied the design?). Great traction onroad, fairly decent off - good in gravel, not so good in mud. Cheap price, too.

The rear tire lasted about 3800 miles but then I tend to slide around corners whenever possible. Others have gotten 4000-6000 miles. In a rush before a trip one weekend I replaced it with a Continental TKC80 (shop was out of the IRC) which I don't like as much - it feels kind of squirrelly. If I decide to stay with a 50-50 tire I'll go back to the GP1.

BigE
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Pirelli MT21's are the best 50/50 mix I've used. Plus they spinup nice and predictable on the street.:D

RCStylin'
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Kenda 270...or if you want to go a little more expensive...I had a great experience with using Conti Twinduros.

rforsythe
Sun Oct 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Here's a good brief description of several alternatives. This is admittedly for Vstrom's and dated a couple years but if the tire fits your bike, there ya go.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/VStrom3.html

I think you may have to sacrifice some street carving ability if you really want stellar grip in singletrack; by nature, this means at a minimum a very blocky tread pattern that can bite in. These tend to be less inspiring on asphalt. I know of a lot of people that swear by the TKC80's and just tone it back a little on the street, since they have good grip in the dirt. I've also run Anakees on two bikes now, but if you're doing singletrack with challenging sections, they may not be enough "dirt" for you; that said they handle high speed canyon assaults well.