PDA

View Full Version : EBay: 1 in 10 get the boot!

pilot
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Another staggeringly good day with the economy. Let's hope this one doesn't hit too close to home.

"EBay Inc. fell $1.14, or 6 percent, to $17.81 after announcing it will cut about 1,000 jobs, reducing its work force by 10 percent, to streamline the company. The online auction site expects restructuring charges of about $70 million to $80 million, mostly during the fourth quarter." -from MSNBC

"Streamline," yah, right.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Well, the rumors were around 1500 jobs so I guess this is better... :jerkoff:

<-- hoping not to get streamlined to the unemployment line in the next 48 hours...

pilot
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM
You can always join the throng of motorcycle show carnies.

fook
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
that sucks, hope none of the denver positions will be hit. few people I used to work with went over to the network team over there and were always really happy with them as an employer...

Devaclis
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Got my fingers crossed for ya Ralph. Although, with your CISSP, unemployment will be very short. You guys are worth your weight in Hondas.

Spiderman
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Got my fingers crossed for ya Ralph.
... :imwithstupid:

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. Hoping for the best here too. Gonna be a stressful week regardless.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Looks like I'm safe from this one, but a couple good folks I know here got cut today. Probably more in another group, but they're a night coverage shift so I won't find out about that until tomorrow. Shitty day all around.

McVaaahhh
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I think a lot of sellers (myself included) have been frustrated with the way ebay is doing business now a days.

Earlier in the year they were talking about how business was up because people are tight on money and selling their "junk" on ebay and craigslist. Now they're saying that business is off. My guess (totally a guess) is that their fees are getting a bit high and consequently people are taking their business elsewhere. :dunno:

I'll probably keep using it, but for their online store their fees are outrageous. Motorcycle parts listings are $0.36 insertion and then 13% of the selling price. 13% is friggen high on a $50 listing...

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I was under the impression that fees were getting lowered all around. I don't know the details though.

McVaaahhh
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hopefully, but it just seems like it's gotten way more expensive this year. Maybe it just "seems" that way, but I've bought and sold a ton more stuff in the last year than I had in the past. :dunno:

Devaclis
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
purchase on egay and I sell on Craigslist/CSC

pilot
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
13%!!! are they paying the sales tax!!?!