PDA

View Full Version : ...snow?

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Forecast for Denver...

Saturday Night: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Sweet!

Vance
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about riding in tomorrow (Tuesday) morning with it being between 35-39 for an overnight low - a call for frost across the Denver-Metro...

And the Former Cricket having a very close to bald front tire...

Hmmmm...

Devaclis
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Woohoooo!!!! It is starting to turn to fall finally :)

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:38 AM
great. I'm having flashbacks to black ice already. eff'n physics...

Vance
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
great. I'm having flashbacks to black ice already. eff'n physics...

So is that a "I should drive not ride" recommendation over the frost issue?

Devaclis
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Man up and get on that damn bike! The only way to get better and more comfortable riding is non-ideal conditions is practice.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Repalce your front tire damn it.

pilot
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM
A whole summer waisted. Damn.

Ricky
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I will ride in below freezing temps, but that's where it starts to get really cold. It's really not that bad if you just tuck down on the freeway, and have some good gloves.

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
So is that a "I should drive not ride" recommendation over the frost issue?

No, that's a "get a new friggin tire" recommendation.... :slap:

puckstr
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
pfft Tread and grip is overrated

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
pfft Tread and grip is overrated

but tires are cheaper than a trip to the ER.....gotta watch the nickels and dimes in this economy....

Vance
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've got the tire...
Just don't have the money to get it put on yet.
(fraking lawyer bills. Be cheaper to snuff the ex... wait... did I say that out loud?)

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I've got the tire...
(fraking lawyer bills. Be cheaper to snuff the ex... wait... did I say that out loud?)

I'll pay for your mounting and balancing at TFOG --- but you need to ride up here and shovel my walk five times for payback :D

rybo
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Call Patrick (repsola095) He has a tire machine in his garage and will probably help you out.

asp_125
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I rode back from Minturn on Saturday and it rained all the way back from Vail, and snowed on us right at Eisenhower ..

salsashark
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I may get to try out those snowmobile gloves Dana recommended.

On the bright side, the scooter contingent will be putting away their green toys and getting back into their SUVs now that the mornings are getting down below 50! :|

Ceez
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Sucks riding in the morning on the freeway with dress slacks on, I need to invest in some long johns....its like new years eve all over again waiting for my balls to drop from this morning.

salsashark
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
pick up some overpants... that'll keep the road crap off your slacks and keep you a bit warmer... plus actually add some type of protection over dockers...

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ok....My cold weather gear:

Down to about 30F : Ski pants over my work clothes, Tourmaster Sabre jacket with the liner in, Alpinestars winter gloves, Insulated work boots.

Down to about 10F: Same except for the gloves, they get swapped for a set of Tourmaster heated ones, as my hands don't function well when cold.

My commute is about 29 miles one way, all highway, so this is a guide for 30-40 minute exposure at 70ish MPH max. Your results may vary. Tax tag and dealer prep not included. Financing for well qualified buyers. Parental discretion is advised.

asp_125
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.weather.gov/os/windchill/images/windchill.gif

I have a 40mi commute with slab speeds.. no wonder I'm freezing.

InlineSIX24
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
WP Four Passes... locked and loaded..

Ceez
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
pick up some overpants... that'll keep the road crap off your slacks and keep you a bit warmer... plus actually add some type of protection over dockers...

Yea...need to look into some comfy snow pants or over pants soon...any recomendations?

Gregger
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
WP Four Passes... locked and loaded..

English?

Devaclis
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Go to Murdocks and get some Carhart over pants.

I run with Burton Snowboard pants, a Joe Rocket blaster jacket with liner, balaclava, snowmobile gloves, and combat boots.

Wear thick socks and an and underliner like Under Armor and you will be good down to at least -19 ambient (tested by myself twice)

Ceez
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Go to Murdocks and get some Carhart over pants.

I run with Burton Snowboard pants, a Joe Rocket blaster jacket with liner, balaclava, snowmobile gloves, and combat boots.

Wear thick socks and an and underliner like Under Armor and you will be good down to at least -19 ambient (tested by myself twice)

Nice...thank you!

salsashark
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I have a seven minute commute to work...

I usually just tough it out in jeans, leather jacket with liner, and now (thanx Dana), some Dennis Kirk snowmobiling gloves.

Suki
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
fuck yes, bring on the cold weather! soo sick of the heat!

InlineSIX24
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 01:45 PM
English?

http://www.skiwinterpark.com/tickets/seasonpass/index.htm

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Yea...need to look into some comfy snow pants or over pants soon...any recomendations?

RevIt pants kick ass. Tested from near-freezing up to 100+ so far, and we'll see how they do in the wicked cold this winter. They have an insulated liner that I haven't needed yet.

I also tried out Rybo's Aerostitch suit last winter and it is the bomb!

Big-J
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hells yeah, I can't wait to hit the slopes!

VFR
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
fuck yes, bring on the cold weather! soo sick of the heat!

LOL....You say that because you are probably still having hot flashes

SLVRSURFR
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I will ride in below freezing temps, but that's where it starts to get really cold. It's really not that bad if you just tuck down on the freeway, and have some good gloves.
I rode from Denver to Pueblo this morning at around 7:40am... by the time i got through Monument, and finally to my destination, it took 20 minutes for my hands to thaw.. Definitely need better cold weather gloves.. LOL!

Dysco
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Ok....My cold weather gear:

Down to about 30F : Ski pants over my work clothes, Tourmaster Sabre jacket with the liner in, Alpinestars winter gloves, Insulated work boots.

Down to about 10F: Same except for the gloves, they get swapped for a set of Tourmaster heated ones, as my hands don't function well when cold.

My commute is about 29 miles one way, all highway, so this is a guide for 30-40 minute exposure at 70ish MPH max. Your results may vary. Tax tag and dealer prep not included. Financing for well qualified buyers. Parental discretion is advised.

Pffft! Old guys.

Shorts and sandals for me down to 0f. Then I put on jeans and wear a cool silk scarf.

BTW: Can you change my ruckus tires once I stud a pair? :D

mastap07
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 06:16 AM
it only got down to 32 this morning on my commute into work!

Ceez
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM
it only got down to 32 this morning on my commute into work!

My legs are still thawing.....what does everyone do for fog on their visors though? I kept on having to crack it open when slowing down, on the freeway I was fine.

Devaclis
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I stop breathing when it gets below 60. My damned Shoei helmet fogs up when it is just sitting on the shelf.

I rode in this morning with my visor up because I could not see and it was only 37 out!!

Ceez
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I stop breathing when it gets below 60. My damned Shoei helmet fogs up when it is just sitting on the shelf.

I rode in this morning with my visor up because I could not see and it was only 37 out!!

I tried doing that but I had a damn booger that came out and slowly started heading up my left cheek toward my ear....luckily its dry now and I was able to flake it off! :)

daemon
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
as a temporary fix i wipe the inside of my visor with "dawn" dish soap and rub it in till i have a clear finish that i can see through.
it typically will last about a week before i have to do it again....
trust me it works.

Ceez
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM
as a temporary fix i wipe the inside of my visor with "dawn" dish soap and rub it in till i have a clear finish that i can see through.
it typically will last about a week before i have to do it again....
trust me it works.

Nice, I will try that out. Thanks!

daemon
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Nice, I will try that out. Thanks!
no problem....just passing it along from someone else.

i have tried other types of dish soap and they do not work......"Dawn" is the best IMO

Devaclis
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I am gonna get some Cat Crap and see if that helps. Some people here swear by it.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Gotta pull the balaclava down just above my chin & open the mouth vent on the helmet & I'm usually fine.

Down to about 40ish: Jeans, light sweater w/technic chicane jacket (with blown out right arm vent...)+ liner, leather gloves, balaclava.

30-40: same but with windproof liner from joe rocket jacket under the leather, first gear warm & padded pants over the jeans, snowmobile gloves

below 30: same, more sweaters & long johns under the jeans.

But the BIG Question is: What do you do to warm up your tires???

Devaclis
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I ride on them :)

Your tires are never going to get up to full temp in the sub 40's. You just adjust your riding style so you do not need extreme traction. My Pilot Powers and Dunlop 208's did perfectly fine in sub 20's, snow, slush, and harsh gravel for 4 winters. Just go easy, be SMOOOOOTH, and leave plenty of room.

salsashark
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Gotta pull the balaclava down just above my chin & open the mouth vent on the helmet & I'm usually fine.

I like middle eastern food as much as the next guy, but what does a honey soaked pastry have to do with riding in the cold? :dunno:

mastap07
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM
i used the old crack trick too but im considering the "dawnage"

My legs are still thawing.....what does everyone do for fog on their visors though? I kept on having to crack it open when slowing down, on the freeway I was fine.

puckstr
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
SNOW???
Bring it.

I Love Colorado.

UglykidJoe
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have Fieldsheer gloves and they are toasty warm, just need to get me some of those overpants, also need something to go around my neck area, and no I don't want to wear a scarf, any other ideas?

puckstr
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jp g/250px-20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jp gBalaclava (clothing)

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
^^hella useful! Works for neck, head, & face.

In lieu of heated grips I also tend to ride one handed a lot with the other hand shoved in the fairing warming up off of the headers

Ceez
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Under Armour sells the same type of stuff...

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1761348&cp=&sr=1&kw=cold+gear&origkw=cold+gear&parentPage=search

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Pffft! Old guys.

Shorts and sandals for me down to 0f. Then I put on jeans and wear a cool silk scarf.

BTW: Can you change my ruckus tires once I stud a pair? :D

Yup.... can even find some cool knobbies to go on it....and I have Gold Pro ice screws in stock....

Devaclis
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
My wife got me the DuoFold under gear and it RAWKS!! It is the best cold weather under gear I have ever had.:

http://www.duofold.com/Mens/SnowSports/Varitherm/?activity=snowsports&demo=m

ghost-whiner
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Sorry I just thawed from this morning's ride... Its gonna snow? I was hoping to get skis on my front before it does

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I've got the tire...
+1000. Hey, how 'bout I snuff yours, and you snuff mine? That way, we can BOTH have airtight alibi's! Hey wait, wasn't that in a book or a movie or something?!?!.....:)

UglykidJoe
Tue Oct 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Balaclava looks like exactly what I need thanks.

Dysco
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Balaclava looks like exactly what I need thanks.
Get one with a thin fabric on the top- basically fluffy around the neck and face but thin and stretchy from the ears up. It won't change your helmet fit as much as a full fleece model and ends up being far more comfortable.

Better yet, just get a neck gaiter or fleece face mask with enough fabric to stuff into your collar.

Devaclis
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Go to the Army/Navy Surplus store on Broadway and Hapmden. I got mine there for $10 and it is the one with thin, stretchy material on top and thick fleece on the bottom. It is long enough to tuck way into my jacket. Nice stuff. They have GREAT combat boots too that are warm, cheap, and very grippy on slippery surfaces.

rforsythe
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Better yet, just get a neck gaiter or fleece face mask with enough fabric to stuff into your collar.

:yes: I have a Turtle Fur neck gaiter that works great for that.

Devaclis
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I have a gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. /Steve Martin

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
The balaclava is great 'cause it'll keep your face a little warmer than just an air dam will. Also it keeps your head warm in a helmet that's really more deisgned for venting & cooling. They're right tho, get one that's thinner on top so that it won't adjust your helmet's fit. It'll be tight anyway, just don't give yourself a headache!

VFR
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHIELDS-NOJ-QUIET-RIDER-DELUXE-SHIELD-BLACK-126_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1 Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2e c0Q2em14QQhashZitem140268119127QQitemZ140268119127