PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Noob seeks long walks on the beach

sky_blue
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Damn you Dave...

What dirt bike should I get for doing trails and possibly also a SUMO setup?

I am a DIRT NOOB. Also, I would want to do things like ride this bike on the pavement from say Fort Collins to Buena Vista without getting smooshed. Would like to haul bare minimum camping gear along also.

Also, I am a wimpy girl, and while I might be able to ride a lowered KLR, I probably couldn't pick it up off the ground.

So maybe:
-Kawasaki KLX 250S
-Kawasaki 250SF (motard set up - sexy!!!)
-Suzuki DRZ400
-Suzuki DRZ 400 SM (motard - not as cute as the Kawi)
-KTM___________??? (I like orange)
-Husky_______??
-Other?

250 just seems small…

New or used? Does it matter?

PhL0aTeR
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM
i think any one of the smaller bikes would be too buzzy at highway speeds, but im just going off of my buddies DRZ and his complains riding it from peyton to the springs.... lol

BigE
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM
As a dirt noob, stick with dirt wheels, the bikes are cheaper and easier to ride off road. Sky, you're also asking alot for a bike that is a compromise to begin with. Off road you want light, easy handling, etc. On road, more power, smoothness, and the like.
Personally speaking I'd say get a 250 to start off on and a pickup to haul all your gear.
Fwiw, you can have a ton of fun playing sumo with just dualsport tires, they just get really sketchy once you start racing on them.

sky_blue
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I want it all!!!

And I can probably talk hubby into buying me a 250...but he's not gonna buy me a pickup truck...: (

Saturday, cruising down Stove Prarie, we passed the turnoff to Pennock Pass. Everytime I go past this road I want to go that way and see what's up there. But the road is only paved for a couple hundred yards.

Maybe I should just get a 250 and find out if this dirt thing is for me or not.

sky_blue
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM
::drool::
http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/colorVariations/500/DRZ400SK9_white_ffffff.jpg

rforsythe
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
My $0.02: Go with the DRZ. :) The DR series is rock solid and well loved by their owners for many reasons. If it's buzzy on the highway it's most likely tire choice (knobbies will suck on pavement). A good dual purpose tire is what you probably want, especially since you'll be doing easy dirt from the sound of it. Check the tire selection thread for more details on that one.

You can pick up a good used DRZ obscenely cheap; no need to buy new, unless there is some part of it you just gotta have. It's a dirt bike, so it will get scratched, dropped, dinged, etc.

Beyond that, whatever you get, find one with electric start. It's the best invention known to mankind. It's the one thing I wish I could upgrade on my XR400, because when it wants to start it's one kick or two. When it doesn't, I plan on about 15 minutes of leg abuse to get it going.

skortch
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 03:25 PM
A DRZ400S sounds like maybe the best compromise for what you are asking. Not so great on the highway but better than most 250s, kind of tall and not a powerhorse or super lightweight but not bad.

You could try tracking down an enduro that has been converted to sumo duty. These often have two sets of tires, street 17s and dirt. However, they usually won't be able to carry much camping gear or luggage and are generally higher maintenance than a dual sport. Many KTMs and Huskys are street legal these days.

I've thought about a Honda XR650R myself, after reworking the subframe to carry some gear. Kickstart, though, and you need to legalize it.

The Pennock Pass/Buckhorn Canyon road is curvy and great - you can ride up Old Flowers and back Pennock for a fun and not too difficult loop, or up Buckhorn, over Pingree Park, and back through the Poudre for some nice fast multi surface riding.

I want it all!!!

And I can probably talk hubby into buying me a 250...but he's not gonna buy me a pickup truck...: (

Saturday, cruising down Stove Prarie, we passed the turnoff to Pennock Pass. Everytime I go past this road I want to go that way and see what's up there. But the road is only paved for a couple hundred yards.

Maybe I should just get a 250 and find out if this dirt thing is for me or not.

BigE
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Here ya go Sky. http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/868008661.html DR350 for 2200

lovinCO
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I can't wait to see what you get. Jealous. :)

GregsGSXR
Mon Oct 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
How many times do I have to say it.....

Suzuki DR-Z400S

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2001models/2001-Suzuki-DR-Z400S.jpg
There is no substitute..........

sky_blue
Wed Oct 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM
So I went and sat on a DR-z 400 last night. Too big. I know, it can be lowered, but it still seemed bulky and heavy, and I don't think I want to spend a day picking it up out of the dirt. Maybe the 250 is the best for me to start on...

GregsGSXR
Wed Oct 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I cant touch the ground on mine...I either have to tiptoe or lean off one side when I am stopping. I am used to it because I had a DR650 in high school but if you dont feel comfortable go with what fits you. Both bikes are going to go great in the dirt...just depends on how much power you feel you can throw around. I would get a 250 trail bike if I didnt plan on doing much street with it (my DR400 tops out at about 95)

MaddMatt
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
i lowered my dr650 3 inches via suspension & oem gel seat-now i'm flat footed @ stops (31 inch inseam), it's lower than my old cbrs; could drag the pegs with the oem bridgestones, but they really sucked on dirt roads, now i'm running metzeler knobbies-great on dirt, not too bad on pavement-the bike's heavy (368 wet), but everything's a compromise with dual sports-i love mine on dirt roads (no cops!)-good luck-MaddMatt