PDA

View Full Version : Fatal MC crash at University and 470

Scribbler
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Just saw on channel 2 news a yellow bike went down fatally at University and 470 in Highlands Ranch. Anybody know any more? Not much info released. Only that the rider was lidless.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Bummer! RIP, rider. Godspeed to you....:cry:

Scribbler
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Video can be found here... http://www.kwgn.com/pages/news_local/

29 year old man kisses a Prius making a left turn in front of him.

Devaclis
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Holy shit, When? Terri lives right there and has a yellow bike. I can't get on my phone. Anyone hear from Terri?

Devaclis
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Sry, posted as you were updating. Shit. That sucks :(

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I can't tell if she says "legal left turn" or "illegal left turn" but by the tone of the rest of what she says, I'm guessing "legal" implying that the bike was at fault. Of course.

Dirk

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
"whether or not drugs & alcohol were involved...trying to determine how FAST the motorcycle rider was going"

k, it was 9:30 AM, so I'm think'n drugs & alcohol probby weren't a factor. Speed? well when someone pulls out in front of you ya don't have to be go'n that fast. I think she said a "legal left turn," but I've I'm driving the speed limit, you make a left RIGHT in front of me, & I go flying to my death, you're still making a legal left, it just happened to have killed me.

Media: Motorcycles BAAAAAAAAADDD!!!. Prius GOOOOOOOODDDD!!!

64BonnieLass
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
:hibye: Helmets FTW!!!

This is very sad news. RIP rider.

Magnum
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah I was on my way home and drove through, so when I saw a bike down I stopped and talked to a cop.

Cop said prius had right of way on left turn arrow, M/C ran light, no lid, no M/C endorsement, fatal at impact.

I'm at the park-n- ride now posting from my blackberry now but I was able to snap some pics of the scene. Cops everwhere, news crews, investigative teams.......

More later if you all want it.

Devaclis
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Can't find the video. Dana = FTL :(

ghostrider_9
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
RIP rider!!!

Scribbler
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Can't find the video. Dana = FTL :(
Are you using FlashBlock or anything similar in your browser? The videos are displayed via Flash. And it's the first thing you see when you visit the link.

Sean
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
RIP rider. And everyone else, wear your gear please.

Magnum
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
The bike T-Boned the passenger side of the car, so I don't think there was much sliding going on. It looked really bad.

EDIT: I saw a very short skid mark.....

Devaclis
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Are you using FlashBlock or anything similar in your browser? The videos are displayed via Flash. And it's the first thing you see when you visit the link.

No, when I visit the link it just gives me a list of Colorado New Stories. I will have to check it out at home.

Ceez
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Thats horrible...RIP Rider. How many is that this year?

Way too many...gotta wear that gear!

Vehicle 1
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I saw another crashed bike today about one hour ago at I-25, North bound near the connection with HWY 6. There was a girl on the ground being helped by some people. The bike was an older Japanese cruiser type I think. I was driving S. bound and did not want to rubber neck more than I already had, so I didn't get a good look at the situation. Seemed like she was not wearing a helmet, unless they had taken it off already. Hope she is fine.:(

Slacker
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
WOW - RIP

That's a bad area with the construction as well - right lane ends left lane gets back up with left-turn lane.

Be safe out there!

bikernoj
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah I was on my way home and drove through, so when I saw a bike down I stopped and talked to a cop.

Cop said prius had right of way on left turn arrow, M/C ran light, no lid, no M/C endorsement, fatal at impact.

Really? Who knew you had to know how to ride AND wear protective gear? I mean, don't yellow Ducatis ride themselves?

Not to be crass about losing another rider, but the Devil's Advocate in me chalks this up (no pun intended) to Darwinism. Can't ride + no endorsement + no gear + stupid-fast bike = statistic; end of story.
:squid:

We all know the color of the bike doesn't matter (hell we could be lit up like Christmas trees), people still look right past you.

What I'm sad about is the media's butchering of a motorcyclist crash as usual. I sure would like to have the near daily calls from my mother asking if I was the one killed at Intersection X today. I can also do without the constant whining of ignorant people that insist motorcycles are death traps.
:cussing:

The best piece of protective gear is found between the ears. After that, I prefer good leather!

Magnum
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
So what you can't see is the passenger side of the prius where the impact was. The passenger side front / rear door were both pretty banged up.

RIP - So sad!

I was exiting 470 at university on my way home when I saw the bike down and curiosity got the best of me, so I stopped. Just as an FYI, if any person feels this pic is inappropriate or should not be here, please say so and I will remove it immediately! If not and you want to see some more I have them. No gory ones or anything like that and they wouldn't let me get to close so they are all from a distance. The victims were gone when I rolled through.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/magnum_mods/Motorcycle/Misc/M-C-Crash_10-9-2008.jpg

Devaclis
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I just rode past there on my way home. Police are still there measuring and taking pictures.

SamuraiX
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Looks like a Honda to me - could sun glare have been a factor?
Damn Prius.

RIP brother.

puckstr
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
That Sucks. RIP Rider.

I knew it was not Terri. She always wears a helmet:)......

NOT like someone I spotted on day on Littleton Blvd.... I AM NOT NAMING...

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :scream1:

Dawn say you got a spanking comming buster

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
damn. look at the back wheel of the prius. That guy had to have been flying...

puckstr
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
damn. look at the back wheel of the prius. That guy had to have been flying...

maybe not... It is a Prius.

:music:Thanks:music:
http://www.hybridcars.com/files/imagecache/article_lead_image/files/graphics/south-park-smug-313.gif

bikernoj
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Looks like a Honda to me - could sun glare have been a factor?
Damn Prius.

RIP brother.

Perhaps it was the noxious cloud of "smug" coming from the Prius that altered the driver's perceptions?:drink:

I think the bike was a yellow Duc; look at the white sides on the tail section. Maybe a 749R? Everyone else's Ducati just appreciated in value...

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Bike is a CBR929rr.

RIP Rider, but I agree, definitely a case of Darwin winning.

What it used to look like:

Sortarican
....Dawn say you got a spanking comming buster

^^^ And a spanking is supposed to discourage me?

Yeah, If I'm just running down the street a short way or while I smoke I sometimes go lidless. :oops:
But seeing as I spent the previous 25+ years for the most part riding without one I think I've gotten better about it.

Seeing the picture, and by the way the driver side wheel is buckled over by a passenger side impact,
I'm guessing the investigation will find he was exeeding the speed limit by a considerable amount.

Whatever the cause, it's a shame the rider didn't get a chance to walk away and learn from it.
RIP Rider.

puckstr
I am betting on the it being a Honda
http://sportbike.org/specs/images/2000_cbr929rr_yellow.jpg

Brian your fast

Magnum
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am betting on the it being a Honda
http://sportbike.org/specs/images/2000_cbr929rr_yellow.jpg

Brian your fast

puckstr - FTW

Sortarican
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think the bike was a yellow Duc; look at the white sides on the tail section. Maybe a 749R? ...

No ladder framing, solid channel frame, +1 for a CBR, maybe a Gixer.

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Puck found the pic before I did. :lol:

That poor Honda. :(

puckstr
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
^^^ And a spanking is supposed to discourage me?

Yeah, If I'm just running down the street a short way or while I smoke I sometimes go lidless. :oops:
But seeing as I spent the previous 25+ years for the most part riding without one I think I've gotten better about it.

Seeing the picture, and by the way the driver side wheel is buckled over by a passenger side impact,
I'm guessing the investigation will find he was exeeding the speed limit by a considerable amount.

Whatever the cause, it's a shame the rider didn't get a chance to walk away and learn from it.
RIP Rider.

I Live for Spankings:yumyum:

From Women

UglyDogRacing
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Bike is a CBR929rr.

RIP Rider, but I agree, definitely a case of Darwin winning.

What it used to look like:

Thats a CBR900rr in your pic. :)

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yes it is. :doublefinger:

Bike in the crash is either a 900 or 929, can't tell from the pic though. Both had similar paint schemes.

Is this better? :D

bikernoj
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Are you seeing a different video? All I can see is Ducati yellow, white sides on the tail section with black numbers(?) on it, and a wadded up front end!

Where are you seeing the frame?

McVaaahhh
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Look at the picture on page one. The frame is a solid piece of aluminum, vs the 1" tubing on ducatis.

rapparee
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM
All I can see is Ducati yellow
It is NOT a Ducati, for sure:)

Magnum
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
A little closer pic, not much, but a little. It's not a ducati, you can see the Honda logo.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/magnum_mods/Motorcycle/Misc/M-C-Crash-2_10-9-2008.jpg

bikernoj
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ah, NOW I see! The video is pretty crappy, but it definitely could be a CBR.

Here's what I was seeing:
http://motoprofi.com/bikephoto/4423/ducati_748_r_2001_2.jpg

But without a rear seat, the Duc doesn't make sense, does it? The tow pic says it all (did I miss it before?), and I humbly accept defeat in the Motorcycle Wad Game!

Maybe next time...

Devaclis
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Ah, NOW I see! The video is pretty crappy, but it definitely could be a CBR.

Here's what I was seeing:
http://motoprofi.com/bikephoto/4423/ducati_748_r_2001_2.jpg

But without a rear seat, the Duc doesn't make sense, does it? The tow pic says it all (did I miss it before?), and I humbly accept defeat in the Motorcycle Wad Game!

Maybe next time...

Awwww!!! I want to have babies with that bike!!!

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Probably trying to make the yellow light and failed, if the report that the Prius driver had a green arrow is correct. Two ways to think about a yellow light: "Make it if you can" or "Stop if you can." The latter is the better approach on a bike. Even if I know I can make it, I use them to practice hard braking if no one is behind me.

Dirk

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Probably trying to make the yellow light and failed, if the report that the Prius driver had a green arrow is correct. Two ways to think about a yellow light: "Make it if you can" or "Stop if you can." The latter is the better approach on a bike. Even if I know I can make it, I use them to practice hard braking if no one is behind me.

Dirk

+1

Also, you never know if the guy in the opposing left turn lane is gonna try to run the yellow (on intersections without red arrows)

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Even if I know I can make it, I use them to practice hard braking if no one is behind me.
something we should all remember all the time, especially when braking hard b/c of something ahead of you, and even MORE especially when doing it while riding into the sun in the mornings!

If I find myself in an emergency stop or even a quick decel situation, one I know I'm braking hard enough not to hit the guy in front of me, the first thing I do is check my mirrors to make sure that the guy behind me is doing the same thing. Otherwise it's "use that escape route you've been planning" time.

caddygsxr
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM
i go by that intersection 2 times a day, why dont poeple put on their helmet, i will not sell a bike to someone with out one

schwagman
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM
RIP RIDER God Bless

schwagman
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I love my gear. It's cheap compared to a life.

64BonnieLass
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I love my gear. It's cheap compared to a life.

DAMN SKIPPY SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best quote EVER. That rocks, and I am a FIRM believer myself. :)

Mel
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
:imwithstupid:
Need I bring back up the thread with helmet pics? http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22703& (and yeah, that first pic is mine from a few months ago)

Either way, RIP...no matter what the rider was wearing or doing, he still lost his life, and there were still people who loved him and will miss him.

There have been a lot of riders in the HR area lately without gear for whatever reason...watched a guy drop a F3 CBR at a stoplight with no gear on the other day...wondered immediately what a guy who can't even stop a bike at a light is doing without gear.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
^^ contributing parts to other bikes & laws to society.

SupermotoMJ
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
RIP - rider

FZRguy
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. -- A Littleton man died after authorities said he ran a red light and slammed into a car making a left turn in Douglas County.
The Colorado State Patrol said Randy Engle, 29, was not wearing a helmet and suffered fatal injuries when he crashed into a Toyota Prius about 9:30 a.m. Thursday. The accident occurred on University Boulevard at the intersection with state Highway C470. Troopers said Engle was traveling northbound when he ran a red light a collided with the Prius as it made a left turn onto the C470 ramp from southbound University. Engle was ejected on impact. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Toyota, John Watts, 51, of Centennial, was not hurt. Alcohol or drugs were not suspected as factors in the fatal crash.

64BonnieLass
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. -- A Littleton man died after authorities said he ran a red light and slammed into a car making a left turn in Douglas County.
The Colorado State Patrol said Randy Engle, 29, was not wearing a helmet and suffered fatal injuries when he crashed into a Toyota Prius about 9:30 a.m. Thursday. The accident occurred on University Boulevard at the intersection with state Highway C470. Troopers said Engle was traveling northbound when he ran a red light a collided with the Prius as it made a left turn onto the C470 ramp from southbound University. Engle was ejected on impact. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Toyota, John Watts, 51, of Centennial, was not hurt. Alcohol or drugs were not suspected as factors in the fatal crash.

:(