PDA

View Full Version : F1 car of tomorrow!!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44187

F#cking Bernie. What an ignorant twat.....:scream1::banghead:

Somebody shoot this stupid, greedy f#ck, would ya?

King Nothing
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Dear Bernie,

Die in a fire.

Doug

kevplus2
Thu Oct 9th, 2008, 11:12 PM
someone shoulda kicked that crazy old bastids ass a long time ago. he loves to sound like he is trying to cut costs, and then pushes for mandatory technology that drives cost up (making engines and transmissions last longer, energy recovery systems, etc). he also doesnt mention how the fia gets more and more of the money each year. the percentages paid to the teams has been on a steady decline and since the fia wont pay more to the teams, they have to try and cut costs. it is hard to cut costs when you have to design a new motor to last 2 weekends (or more) under those conditions. most of the money goes to r&d, not equipment and supplies

some tracks have even had to get out of f1 because they cant make enough to cover their costs and pay the fia at the same time. who would've thought hosting an international series could be a losing proposition for a track?

if his old ass wants nascar, he should go hump dale ernhardt (sp?). this crap about cutting cost and making everyone run the same engine is just crippling what used to be the pinnacle of motorsport. the teams have already threatened to leave and start a new series. where do you think the fia would be without ferarri, bmw, or mclaren on the grid?

rapparee
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
this crap about cutting cost and making everyone run the same engine is just crippling what used to be the pinnacle of motorsport.
+1000000000

Canuck
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
On top of that news, F1 is no longer in North America. I was looking forward to attending the Monteral race in the next few years :-/

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Ok, here's my take on how F1 should go:
1. Larger engines (3L), different cylinder configs allowed (number, and angle of cyl banks totally open), limit revs. It's easier to make hp with displacement than revs, and the materials cost is less. Same performance, less cost.

2. Less reliance on downforce, and more mechanical grip. BIG slicks, lower the front wing, and raise the rear wing. Maybe smaller wings in general, but more liberal (hate to say that word:)...) undertray ground effects. More passing because the undertray downforce is not as dependent on clean air.

3. Allow bigger brakes.

4. Go back to the old school qualifying (like back in the Schumacher/Hakkinen days!), where it's a free for all until the last second. But, I DO like having different sessions where only the top xx% advance. Keeps the backmarkers out of the way at the end when things get hot, while still giving them time to speed up.

5. Making the engines and transmissions last 2 races, let alone 6 months is stupid, and completly out of touch. 1 race and qualifying per engine allowed.

6. No qualifying tires or regulations of fuel during qualifying and they are not required to start the race in the same configuration they qualified in.

7. Keep pitstops.

8. Once these rules are in place, FREEZE THEM! It's to the big teams advantage to change the rules every year, because they have the money to squeeze the most performance out of the new rules faster. If the rules stay the same for long enough, even the slower teams will eventually catch up or get close. This is one of the reasons NASCRAP racing is so close, besides the artificial yellows/pace cars.

I'm CYCLE_MONKEY, and I approve this message!

P.S. And Bernie should be kicked out, like last year. I can't believe they signed another agreement with that greedy little prick instead of forming their own series. That guy makes all the money, what, 60+% of ALL revenue(!!), with the scraps left over for the actual teams footing the cost? WTF?!?! Also, Bernie is NOT supposed to be in a rules-maiking position anyways, but merely commercial (promotion, etc.), that's Mosleys job. So why is he even allowed to meddle anyways?

rybo
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
just as a point of reference I heard somewhere a while back that a single F1 engine was equal to most Moto GP season budgets.

And I though club racing was expensive....

Shea
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Is it just me or does all this seem to be the antithesis of racing? Flying in the face of "run what you brung"?

I say, limit the dimensions of the vehicle and weight, everything else is open. Let the most innovative, technically proficient team win. Bring racing back to it's roots.

rybo
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Is it just me or does all this seem to be the antithesis of racing? Flying in the face of "run what you brung"?

I say, limit the dimensions of the vehicle and weight, everything else is open. Let the most innovative, technically proficient team win. Bring racing back to it's roots.

Which seems a reasonable idea until people start dying. The problem with this statement today is that there are very few tracks in the world that can handle the speeds that the CURRENT crop of race vehicles (F1, Moto GP) can achieve. There simply isn't enough run off, or safety built into the track designs to manage it. So, one of the reasons that rules like these get created is to maintain the safety of the riders/drivers on the track. Moto GP no longer races at Suzuka because of it, and Suzuka is one REALLY cool track.

We've even seen this at the local level. CDR, LaJunta, Steamboat....all tracks that really aren't designed to handle the speeds that even top MRA motorcycles can achieve. At other tracks we mitigate some of the problem areas with airfences and the such, but in the end it's all about the amount of energy that has to be dissapated BEFORE one hits something solid.

Run whatcha brung probably won't ever happen at the world level ever again.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Oct 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Which seems a reasonable idea until people start dying. The problem with this statement today is that there are very few tracks in the world that can handle the speeds that the CURRENT crop of race vehicles (F1, Moto GP) can achieve. There simply isn't enough run off, or safety built into the track designs to manage it. So, one of the reasons that rules like these get created is to maintain the safety of the riders/drivers on the track. Moto GP no longer races at Suzuka because of it, and Suzuka is one REALLY cool track.

We've even seen this at the local level. CDR, LaJunta, Steamboat....all tracks that really aren't designed to handle the speeds that even top MRA motorcycles can achieve. At other tracks we mitigate some of the problem areas with airfences and the such, but in the end it's all about the amount of energy that has to be dissapated BEFORE one hits something solid.

Run whatcha brung probably won't ever happen at the world level ever again.
.....Or the amount of energy absorbed by the vehicle......:) And, the F1 tracks are the safest they've ever been.