PDA

View Full Version : Damn prev. owners!!!

iam4u2nv
Thu Nov 18th, 2004, 10:52 PM
So I ripped the carbs of the RF to put in new jets before I sell it - and guess what I found...........

All but three of the screws that I need to remove to do the job are reamed out worse than Britney - oops did I say that :oops: .

Anyway - I am trying to avoid the drill out and re-tap way. I have yet to try a screw extrator (must go buy) but will be doing that tomorow.

So anyone who has done this or has a idea :idea: please let me know.

Also while the carb bank is off I will be cleaning - any tip's in regard to method and re-oiling would be welcome.

BigE
Thu Nov 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
This is a PITA but if they're phillips head screws you can take a very small piece of sandpaper and place it grit side on the screw then press in the screwdriver and hopefully get them out, may work for hex head also.
Good luck!

Dysco
Fri Nov 19th, 2004, 04:40 AM
A small set of vice grips will work on carb screws. You can go to AAA Metric and replace them with socket-heads and solve that problem for future work.

rlarsen
Mon Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:29 AM
If there's any chance you can get a Dremel on the head of it, you can use a cutting wheel to slot the head and get it out with a flathead screwdriver. I had to do this once on an 1/8"NPT tap that broke off in an exhaust manifold. :roll:

Ryan