PDA

View Full Version : Trying skiing again... need some help

Think
Mon Oct 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM
So I'm an avid snowboarder, I've been doing it since I was about 12 and I'm 20 now. Before I snowboarded, I skied, but I was never very good. But I've had this craving to start skiing again since last year.

So I've got some questions. Generally, I can order snowboarding gear online and I've never really had a problem getting the right fitting and what not, is this a whole lot different with skiing? I'd rather buy discount ski gear online than go to a ski shop and drop a couple grand on gear, although I do know that going to a ski shop and getting fitted would be a good idea, I just don't want to buy their stuff.

I'm 6'2 and 160 lbs. I'm pretty sure my ski length would be around 170 since I'm pretty much a beginner again, although I understand the basic concepts. I want all mountain ski's. I think what I'm most concerned with is boots since they generally vary with sizing. I wear a size 12 shoe so would I also wear a size 12 boot?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

guessinthe2000
Mon Oct 13th, 2008, 11:55 PM
mang... stay faithful to boarding.

asp_125
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Boots are one area you should go to a shop and try on, like fitting for a bike helmet. Everything else you can get online.

Think
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Boots are one area you should go to a shop and try on, like fitting for a bike helmet. Everything else you can get online.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Damn, and they get expensive too.

Matty
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
skiing is definitely a lot more expensive than snowboarding.... then again mark my words all snowboarding products will go up 20% next season. Trust me.

SamuraiX
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Don't give up the board man- Anybody can ski, not everyone can shred!!!

A basin opens up a run or two tomorrow, that should be enough to remind you
how awful skiing is and give you a chance to get it out of your system before anyone sees you!

Big-J
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I know how you're feeling, Think. I sarted skiing when I was 5, boarding when I turned 18 and haven't put a pair of ski's on since, now I want to ski just to do it.
You should have thought about this during sniagrab, you have have got a killer package deal. I would go to a shop and try on as many boots as you can till you find a pair that fit the best, then go online and search for a deal, or just pony up the cash. Having boots that fit well is key!

~Barn~
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Don't give up the board man- Anybody can ski, not everyone can shred!!!

So by "shred", I'm assuming you mean traverse the whole run, sit on your butt for awhile, and smoke pot? :think:

Just kidding man... Most everybody I hit the slopes with, is a knuckle-dragger, but for the most part, they can all haul ass. Dr. Travis for sure, Big-J, Chadwick.... Those guys can smoke down the hill, especially Travis.... He might be the fastest fuckin' snowboarder I know. :lol:

Anyway, that can't be said for most boarders I see. It seems like lots of them get to a point where they are cool on most any terrain, but there's a plateau that they hit. They don't suck at it, and they aren't great at it, they just achieve "average" and are cool with it. :dunno: This is like 3/5 of all boarders I see on any given mountain. The top 1/5 are bombing, or hitting the park, or in some backwoods run, and the last 1/5, are just learning and falling down on the bunnies.

Skiers on the other hand, seem to be a different breed.... At least in pure numbers. It's like there's 1/3 that just plain suck.... They're learning and they're falling, and they're staying off the main runs for the most part, because they can't stand-up for more than 90 seconds. Then you got the second 1/3 which are like the bulk of snowboarders... They're okay... They don't shred, they don't fall, they are just average, and they are cool with it.

And then there's the top 1/3 that hammer the parks, hit the backwoods, or bomb the corduroy like Bode.

So I guess I just have to respectfully disagree with you, that anybody can ski, but not everybody can "shred" on a board. If anything, it's easy to become average on a board, because so many people are. Becoming an expert on either skis or a board, isn't a cakewalk.

SamuraiX
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I and a few of my buddies still shred, purtty HARD.
We also have a good friend who likes to "just go along...and roll the joints."

We like him.

I know the plateau Barn is speaking of - i was lucky enough to waste a few years away in the 'Boat- and ride past that plateau.
My good friend stayed in Denver and didn't ride much. He's still straight out of high school as far as his ability.

We love the guy, he tries his best - His helmeted head-stand/spin is a smokey break-dance classic.

I have to agree with you, not everyone can shred! Unless you ride a ton, its easy to level off and stop progressing.

BUT! Its still gotta be more fun though to be mediocre on a snowboard!! - just ask the kids, what do they instinctively want to ride?
The board!! Its simple and beautiful compared to Skis and Poles.

Now where is my Huskers jacket and scotch-guarded blue Jeans? Ive got some rock skiing to do at A-Basin tomorrow!! :)

Think
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
skiing is definitely a lot more expensive than snowboarding.... then again mark my words all snowboarding products will go up 20% next season. Trust me.
Well I know of a few sites that have ludicrous deals on ski and snowboard equipment, like 76% off at times.

I know how you're feeling, Think. I sarted skiing when I was 5, boarding when I turned 18 and haven't put a pair of ski's on since, now I want to ski just to do it.
You should have thought about this during sniagrab, you have have got a killer package deal. I would go to a shop and try on as many boots as you can till you find a pair that fit the best, then go online and search for a deal, or just pony up the cash. Having boots that fit well is key!
I thought about getting some stuff at Snigrab, but didn't have the funds at the time. Thinking of getting some of the equipment as a birthday/Christmas present... or an exhaust.

I know I'm pretty good at boarding, although I don't really hit the park anymore, I'm probably the fastest out of all my friends when it comes to bombing down the mountain. As dumb as it sounds, I can't get enough of nice groomed runs.

I guess I'll just get everything but boots online and see what happens.

mclarke
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Since when does bombing the hill determine your skill level?

~Barn~
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
You ever seen an unskilled snowboarder or skier, successfully strafe down a mountain full of moving obstacles? :lol:

~Barn~
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
And plus Matt, bombing down the mountain has been the baseline by which skiing has been measured, for I-don't-know-how-many-years.

Guys like Jean-Claude Killy, Alberto Tomba, Hermann Maier, the Mahre brother, and Bode Miller, have entire careers of skiing greatness, based on how well they can smoke down the fall-line!

That's like saying "Since when has hauling ass around a race track, determined your skill on a motorcycle?"

:lol:

mclarke
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I understand what you are saying, but judging skill based on how fast you can get to the bottom is slightly biased to those boarders/skiiers who like to bomb the mountain. Personally doing mach 2 down the mountain is not fun. I would prefer to adventure to the sides and duck into the trees and hit small rollers and investigate new areas rather then see how fast I can get to the line for the chair lift.

Personal opinion though, you know I love ridin' with yah :)

nattynoo
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
So I'm an avid snowboarder, I've been doing it since I was about 12 and I'm 20 now. Before I snowboarded, I skied, but I was never very good. But I've had this craving to start skiing again since last year.

So I've got some questions. Generally, I can order snowboarding gear online and I've never really had a problem getting the right fitting and what not, is this a whole lot different with skiing? I'd rather buy discount ski gear online than go to a ski shop and drop a couple grand on gear, although I do know that going to a ski shop and getting fitted would be a good idea, I just don't want to buy their stuff.

I'm 6'2 and 160 lbs. I'm pretty sure my ski length would be around 170 since I'm pretty much a beginner again, although I understand the basic concepts. I want all mountain ski's. I think what I'm most concerned with is boots since they generally vary with sizing. I wear a size 12 shoe so would I also wear a size 12 boot?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pair of Head skis, I *think* they are 160's or 165's, I can't remember. But if you are looking for some to just try out skiing again, they are great. They were WAY to long for me, but I learned on them just fine lol. Don't know if you are interested in 2nd hand equip...pm me if you are.

Welcome back to the dark side :devil1:

~Barn~
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I hear ya Matt; fun is where you find it.

Thankfully there's no World Cup Standings, for fun factor. :rock:

mclarke
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Eat me hooker :D

That's it, I am making you drink with me at 7am again!

~Barn~
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I'm not even going to go up skiing this year, before 11:00.

mclarke
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I bet you will break that rule at least once...

~Barn~
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, the day we get a slopeside condo! And even then it's going to be a crapshoot.

Think
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Since when does bombing the hill determine your skill level?
I think it's safe to say that if I'm hauling ass down a mountain in control on a relatively shitty board, then I think I'm doing alright.

I understand what you are saying, but judging skill based on how fast you can get to the bottom is slightly biased to those boarders/skiiers who like to bomb the mountain. Personally doing mach 2 down the mountain is not fun. I would prefer to adventure to the sides and duck into the trees and hit small rollers and investigate new areas rather then see how fast I can get to the line for the chair lift.

Personal opinion though, you know I love ridin' with yah :)
Like you said, personal opinion. I get off on bombing down, you get off on exploring and other shenanigans.

I have a pair of Head skis, I *think* they are 160's or 165's, I can't remember. But if you are looking for some to just try out skiing again, they are great. They were WAY to long for me, but I learned on them just fine lol. Don't know if you are interested in 2nd hand equip...pm me if you are.

Welcome back to the dark side :devil1:
Sending you a PM shortly.

rybo
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Here is my .02 - well, that's what I think it's worth, YMMV.

I'm an active skier, have been a snowboarder, and have taught both things on various levels. I'm a much better skier, and that is what I enjoy doing most, so when I head to the mountains it is the equipment I tend to choose.

My experience in both my personal life and experience in teaching others is that it's much easier to reach a level of proficiency on the snowboard than on the skis, and that the learning curve is a MUCH different shape. The curve for skiing tends to be very long and with a gradual slope, while the boarding curve happens in a more "stepwise" configuration.

Advice on starting skiing:

1) Make sure you are on some pretty recent equipment. I was SLOW to convert and was skiing on fairly old/straight skis until a couple years ago....boy, was I missing out! The new gear owes much of it's shape and technology to snowboarding and is SOOOOOOO much easier to learn to ski on.

2) The boots REALLY count. Good boots + bad skis = fun Bad boots + Awesome skis= bad time.

3) Take a lesson from a pro. These guys are studying all the time the best ways to make skiing easier to learn. The "new" style skis require a different technique than in the olden days, and you're going to be amazed how good the equipment is if you use it right.

Have fun!

Scott

Matty
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Real simple.... Skiing is easy to learn at first, harder to become advanced.

Snowboarding is the opposite. It is hard at first. But once you get over that learning curve, it's pretty much how big your balls are.

The shop i work at Colorado Ski and Golf are hosting Ski Expo, at the Convention Center, once again this year. it's from Nov. 7-9th. Come by and check it out. Probably be able to find a smokin deal on last years equipment.

Think
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
ThinK....I have been skiing for maybe 20years and then I switched to boarding about 4 years ago.I love it.I have skied a few times since then but I think boarding is much much more fun.I agree it hurts like hell to learn how to board,but after that is lots of good times.
Oh I know boarding is fun, that's why I've been doing it so long. Sometimes it just gets boring so I'd like a change of pace. I've just been itching to ski for a couple years and now I have the funds to do it. I also know I'll be going up a bunch this year so I'd rather buy than rent.

modette99
Tue Oct 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM