PDA

View Full Version : It's true, it really does live again

OldKneeDragger
Wed Oct 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
After 6 months, untold hours and many thousands of dollars, I now have my Ducati 1098S Tricolore at home and RUNNING :hump:

Several here are very aware of what this bike has done and the problems I ran into trying to get it fixed. If you are interested you can find the details at http://www.ducati-lies.com (http://www.ducati-lies.com/)

What I really am interested in now, is that the bike is here, it's running STRONG, and I am once again a happy go lucky kinda guy.

Looks like Saturday is going to be a nice day and you can bank on me being on the road with the biggest grin in the helmet that you could possibly imagine.

http://images.sportbikes.org/ducshop.jpg

y_merkle
Wed Oct 15th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Congrats on getting it running again. Too bad it took all summer to do so. Enjoy the warm weekend and try not to get bugs in your helmet grin!:)

lovinCO
Wed Oct 15th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Congrats! Gorgeous bike!! :)

chad23
Wed Oct 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Sad story with a happy ending...hopefully ducati will make it all right

billsmith7
Wed Oct 15th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Glad you got it back!

sfarson
Wed Oct 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Major congratulations. After all this time glad you can get the big kick out what this beast delivers.

Brat
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM
nice, get out and get that smile going! a good ride'll always do that. :)

Bashed
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Looks like Saturday is going to be a nice day and you can bank on me being on the road with the biggest grin in the helmet that you could possibly imagine.

So the question is, are we going down to Chama for lunch???
That should get a little of every type of road back into it's system
to get 'reaquainted".
Peace Bash

OldKneeDragger
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 07:43 AM
So the question is, are we going down to Chama for lunch???

Sounds good, actually like you, anything that doesn't involve the freeway sounds good to me.

Major congratulations. After all this time glad you can get the big kick out what this beast delivers.

Thanks! So how does that 1098R of yours do? You are welcome to come along if you like!

636chick
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Congrat's Ron I am so glad that beauty is right back where she belong's!!!!!!! It was a long haul but all is good in Duck land now!!!!! :bananna::yay::bananna:

Slo
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Wow, what a story, just read it all, what a shame. But congrats on getting the bike back now and able to enjoy it for a short time.

Drift
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
OKD,

That is great news...I'm glad that you have that beautiful bike back where it belongs!

Enjoy the weekend!

Ciao,
Drift

PROFLYER
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
wow, I'm going to cancel my deposit on my 848 with my family friend's dealer in CA, this is the fourth or fifth horror story I've heard abotu Ducati NA. Glad you got it going again.

PROFLYER
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Also, after looking at your dyno my 08 1000RR makes more power stock, I thought the 1098 tri was a built motor to begin with producing 180+whp? Was the salesman incorrect?

~Barn~
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Something is still probably not quite fixed. You better let me take that bike off your hands.

I have 4k in cash, so just tell me where you want to meet.

OldKneeDragger
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Also, after looking at your dyno my 08 1000RR makes more power stock, I thought the 1098 tri was a built motor to begin with producing 180+whp? Was the salesman incorrect?

Your salesman must work for Ducati NA... The 1098R (a 1198 CC block) at $40K might come close but not the 1098 or 1098S (1099 CC block).

Still, there is a huge difference between a 400 pound dripping wet 157 HP with a very flat torque curve and a 466 pound dripping wet 180 HP..

By the way, looking at the www.1000rr.com (http://www.1000rr.com) board, people are dynoing the 1000RR out in the 140 to 150 RWHP range. Honda has learned to sell numbers from the same place that Ducati did.

I have a ZX12R that was dyno'd (when it was new and had a few mods) at 185 HP but I know for a fact that the dyno was a very happy dyno. The Duc will leave it for dead at anything other than pure top end.

Don't get me wrong, I love the inline 4's and have several (even an old inline 6). The mainline jap bikes are rock solid reliable, handle well, make big horsepower, and have the best cutting edge technology at the best price.

Still, there is something about the Ducati that gives me a hard on every time I get on it. At my age, that's a welcome feeling :crazy:

rybo
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
HP at the crank and HP at the wheel are really different numbers. The factories have the ability to measure HP at the crank, and 180 wouldn't be unreasonable for a 1000rr at the crank.

1098R is pushing about 180 at the wheel, but they come with their own host of problems, starting with the traction control system only works with the stock tires.

I really enjoy my Ducatis. I have one for the street and one for the track and really can't think of anything I'd rather be riding. I've had good experience with Ducati NA, especially since both of my bikes are from the age of flaking rocker arms. More than one has been replaced under warranty, even well after my warranty expired.

I'm glad you have your bike back! DucShop is a great shop and provides excellent ducati service. Post up and audio clip of that thing running sometime!

s

Sortarican
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Still, there is something about the Ducati that gives me a hard on every time I get on it. At my age, that's a welcome feeling :crazy:

Careful now, ya don't want to go voiding the warranty again.

PROFLYER
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Your salesman must work for Ducati NA... The 1098R (a 1198 CC block) at $40K might come close but not the 1098 or 1098S (1099 CC block).

Still, there is a huge difference between a 400 pound dripping wet 157 HP with a very flat torque curve and a 466 pound dripping wet 180 HP..

By the way, looking at the www.1000rr.com (http://www.1000rr.com) board, people are dynoing the 1000RR out in the 140 to 150 RWHP range. Honda has learned to sell numbers from the same place that Ducati did.

I have a ZX12R that was dyno'd (when it was new and had a few mods) at 185 HP but I know for a fact that the dyno was a very happy dyno. The Duc will leave it for dead at anything other than pure top end.

Don't get me wrong, I love the inline 4's and have several (even an old inline 6). The mainline jap bikes are rock solid reliable, handle well, make big horsepower, and have the best cutting edge technology at the best price.

Maybe the old ones, my new one bone stock except for the timing fix is 162 whp and 82lbft (I had it done, others make even more in the 165 range) it weighted in at 409 full of gas as it sits now too. Not trying to bash or anything at all, I just figured that for that much damn money they'd make more power. That was also assuming a salesman knew what the hell he was talking about...he said the tri and the 1098R are the same bike also, which I see is not the case based on your post...my mistake for believing him!

Anyway, glad it's back in the stable and purrrrrrring, I sure do miss the sound of my 999.

Sortarican
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
...he said the tri and the 1098R are the same bike also, which I see is not the case based on your post...my mistake for believing him! ...

I'm no Duc expert, (anyone know where I can get a rear seat for a monoposto?), but for an additional 6K or whatever there better be a difference between the S and R.
(Though I only recall the upgraded paint/trim and Ohlins suspension, never checked the engine specs.)

PROFLYER
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Agreed. I was under the impression that the 1098R was also available in the limited tri colore paint scheme as well as the red or whatever. Anyway, too rich for my blood right now!

Sortarican
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
..Anyway, too rich for my blood right now!

I'l distract the the sales staff.....you wheel it out the door.

Bashed
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sounds good, actually like you, anything that doesn't involve the freeway sounds good to me.

Thanks! So how does that 1098R of yours do? You are welcome to come along if you like!

What time do you want me to meet you in Pueblo OKD?
We can do breakfast first in Pueblo to let things warm up
a bit or we can get a few miles under us like last time, your
call. A few other select persons might join us.
Let me know!
Peace Bash

aLiEn
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
YAY! A fellow duc rider is back in the seat! See ya on the road!:)

GSXRJOHNNY
Thu Oct 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I love that duck thunder from that bike! Glad she's home again.

sfarson
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 11:52 PM

OldKneeDragger... Sorry I'm late back to this thread. Can tell from the posts we have similar sentiments and observations. Let's be sure to connect on a ride sometime.