PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP disc

Think
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 01:07 AM
So my computer is acting up like crazy and in order to fix it I need a Windows XP disc to repair whatever is wrong. However, my disc is somewhere at home and trying to get my mom in Maryland to find it would take forever. Therefore I'm asking if anyone in the Fort Collins/Loveland area has a disc I could borrow for a day or two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BeoBe
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
lemme check if i can find mine.. you just have XP pro or wht?

TurboGizzmo
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I can give you one....you just need to have your own key...Pro? Home? Media Center?

Kappa03
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
He only needs his own key if he is re-installing windows. You can use any xp disc even a dell recovery disc if it's just missing a start up file or another type of missing/corrupt file. Or just reload it and call microsoft to activate it for free ha

TurboGizzmo
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
He only needs his own key if he is re-installing windows. You can use any xp disc even a dell recovery disc if it's just missing a start up file or another type of missing/corrupt file. Or just reload it and call microsoft to activate it for free ha

Umm I am not talking booting the disc and using the first "r" repair option in the recovery console....I am talking a full repair which at the full GUI stage will ask for your key to complete the repair....

Think
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Umm I am not talking booting the disc and using the first "r" repair option in the recovery console....I am talking a full repair which at the full GUI stage will ask for your key to complete the repair....
I've been talking to some people and I'm pretty sure I won't need a key if it's just to repair some corrupt files. And I've got XP pro.

Kappa03
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Lol all you have to do is replace a file, to do that it's not even close to the step of formatting or repairing. And a full "repair" is just a restore and yes you will need a product key unless like I said do it over the phone which it will give you the option to do so as well.

And as he just stated its only to repair/replace corrupted files. In the windows xp recovery console you can do that, not having to have a product key.

~Barn~
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I am always surprised how agreeable Microsoft is, to giving me activation codes for new XP builds. My XP-Pro install key hit its limit about 9 installs ago, and yet a quick call to MS, and they're reading me a new activation code 2 minutes later.
:up:

Think
Fri Oct 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Haha, so I can borrow a disc then?

Think
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So I tried doing a repair once my system recognized I already had XP installed... almost done with the install and now it's asking for a CD key. Any suggestions?

skortch
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't think the product key has anything to do with the CD-ROM. Mine are on stickers on the back of my computers - I think they are about 25 characters long.

If you built the computer yourself the sticker should have come with your original XP install disks, with instructions to paste it on the back of the PC. If you bought it prebuilt then the manufacturer/builder should have stuck it on the back.

Kappa03
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Usually it doesn't ask for a product key if you just do a repair. Did you do a full restore? And like Skortch said, try the sticker on the back or side of the computer. If not click on "activate over phone" I think it's called, and you can just tell microsoft your computer was restored and needs a key, they'll give you one.

TurboGizzmo
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I hate quoting myself..... ;)

Anywho if you get completely stuck I can help you out if you bring me the tower.....

CDs have nothing to do with keys, mostly, some different version of XP discs like OEM, HOME, PRO, VLK.....but most Vista discs have all the version on a disc and your key unlocks the proper version.....back in the day of NT you could hack server out of client.... :)