PDA

View Full Version : Just killed on 74

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/19/motorcyclist-killed-jefferson-county/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Are all CSCers safe and accounted for?

konichd
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
It must have been pretty bad, they had morrison shut down just after the 2nd Red Rocks entrance and were turning everybody around.

RIP rider :(

Matty
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
wow.... RIP.

SamuraiX
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
RIP Connor.

Timmay
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I just did that road yesterday, man that sucks. RIP

Jim_Vess
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
They just had this on Fox News.

All they said was the rider hit an Audi that was trying to turn. It was very vague in that they didn't say whether or the car pulled out in front of the bike.

RIP

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah, pretty, vague. Probably typical car making a left turn killing a biker.

RIP rider, Godspeed.

suzinpink
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
bad year...
RIP rider...
wrote that far too many times

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
They just had this on Fox News.

All they said was the rider hit an Audi that was trying to turn. It was very vague in that they didn't say whether or the car pulled out in front of the bike.

RIP

It sounds like the car did turn left in front of the bike ...legally ...as in making a left turn.

"An Audi sedan was traveling west and had stopped to make a lefthand turn. The motorcyle was a few cars behind. The motorcycle swung out to pass the other cars and the stopped Audi, then braked hard and started a skid before hitting the back of the Audi."

Sometimes you only get one chance to make a bad decision. RIP

SupermotoMJ
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
RIP rider..

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Update:

Boulder motorcyclist killed in Jeffco crash
By Rocky Mountain News
Sunday, October 19, 2008
A Boulder man died this morning after the motorcycle he was driving hit an Audi sedan on Colorado 74 in Jefferson County, the Colorado State Patrol reported.
The accident occurred around 9:45 a.m. about five miles west of Morrison. The motorcycle was a few cars behind the Audi, which was stopped as the driver was preparing to turn left. The motorcyclist attempted to pass the stopped cars as the Audi’s driver started to turn, according to the state patrol.
The motorcyclist braked hard and the motorcycle went sideways before colliding with the Audi. The man, who was wearing a helmet, and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Audi’s driver wasn’t injured and a passenger suffered minor injuries, according to the state patrol.
The name of motorcyclist was withheld pending notification of his family.

Slo
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
EDIT - I guess there was no female passenger like the article stated.

RIP hope the family/friends are doing ok, thoughts out to the passenger, has to be pretty tramatic for her.

Gregger
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65764

There ya go.

PROFLYER
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Man, I hate to hear about this stuff, especially when it's rider error.

vegasbound
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Ok guys, I was on this ride.

This was not a planned ride, just 5 of us who met at MoCo looking for a ride. A few of us are CSC members but I'm not sure about Connor, who died on the scene.

Everyone was in great spirits, looking forward to the great day of riding ahead of us. I had just met Connor at 9:15am, and what really stood out for me was what a friendly and polite guy Connor was, he gave off really good vibes.

He told me he bought his 03' 600RR brand new and had around 10k miles on it, and was looking to get a new liter bike in the future.

I suggested we hit up Deckers, so we loft Moco about 9:30 with myself being the lead rider. We did not do any pre-ride rules on passing or anything, I wish we had.

I couple miles west of Moco, I came across a lone car and decided to pass, the car then pulled over and the group was all together again.

Another mile or two, we came across 5-6 cars, I decided not to pass with the heavy traffic for obvious reasons. There is a strait away another couple miles up, and I new we could pass there. I was just thinking to myself the group might be getting antsy when I heard the scream of Connors CBR.

He decided to come from the very back of the pack, pass the group and the then the few other cars in front of me. He didn't see the Audi slow to start the turn until it was too late. He was on the oppisite lane passing when he collided with her.

It looked like he hit the brakes a hundred yards before inpact but it didn't help much, as you can imagine, the impact was incredibly horrible and violent. The audi seemed to jump 3 feet in the air from the rear.

Just to clarify, he was riding alone, the passenger who was injured was in the car.

It was a nightmare, dead silence as we all pulled over. I'm no expert, but he appered to be dead instantly.

Someone called 911, there were quite a few people there riding bicycles, and stopped cars, everyone wide eyed and trying to come to termes with what we were seeing. A SUV pulled over, and a women hopped out, the driver told us that she is a Doctor. She started looking for signs of life, along with Connors lifelong friend, who was also riding with us.

Another minute or two and emergency care started to arrive. They attemped to revieve him, but after 15 minutes or so they pronounced him dead. Everything started to slow down at that point as the police started taking statements.

Horrible day. RIP

Slo
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Sounds like there wasn't anything you could do, just a shame that we lost another rider. I think many people are getting antsy since it's coming to the end of the good season.

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I know exactly where this happened as we almost had the exact same thing happen to a couple riders at the front our pack on Saturday. Horrible way to end a tough season.

RIP Connor. :(

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Ok guys, I was on this ride.

This was not a planned ride, just 5 of us who met at MoCo looking for a ride. A few of us are CSC members but I'm not sure about Connor, who died on the scene.

Everyone was in great spirits, looking forward to the great day of riding ahead of us. I had just met Connor at 9:15am, and what really stood out for me was what a friendly and polite guy Connor was, he gave off really good vibes.

He told me he bought his 03' 600RR brand new and had around 10k miles on it, and was looking to get a new liter bike in the future.

I suggested we hit up Deckers, so we loft Moco about 9:30 with myself being the lead rider. We did not do any pre-ride rules on passing or anything, I wish we had.

I couple miles west of Moco, I came across a lone car and decided to pass, the car then pulled over and the group was all together again.

Another mile or two, we came across 5-6 cars, I decided not to pass with the heavy traffic for obvious reasons. There is a strait away another couple miles up, and I new we could pass there. I was just thinking to myself the group might be getting antsy when I heard the scream of Connors CBR.

He decided to come from the very back of the pack, pass the group and the then the few other cars in front of me. He didn't see the Audi slow to start the turn until it was too late. He was on the oppisite lane passing when he collided with her.

It looked like he hit the brakes a hundred yards before inpact but it didn't help much, as you can imagine, the impact was incredibly horrible and violent. The audi seemed to jump 3 feet in the air from the rear.

Just to clarify, he was riding alone, the passenger who was injured was in the car.

It was a nightmare, dead silence as we all pulled over. I'm no expert, but he appered to be dead instantly.

Someone called 911, there were quite a few people there riding bicycles, and stopped cars, everyone wide eyed and trying to come to termes with what we were seeing. A SUV pulled over, and a women hopped out, the driver told us that she is a Doctor. She started looking for signs of life, along with Connors lifelong friend, who was also riding with us.

Another minute or two and emergency care started to arrive. They attemped to revieve him, but after 15 minutes or so they pronounced him dead. Everything started to slow down at that point as the police started taking statements.

Horrible day. RIP

RIP -- Conner. I'm sorry you had to experience this. You are not alone as I experienced the loss of an acquaintance on Tennessee Pass in 1998. Pre-ride talks should be a requirement.

UglykidJoe
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
RIP Connor.....

MAZIN
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
rip connor...

Ceez
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
RIP Connor and I am sorry you had to go through this. I too have been through a very similar experience so I know how traumatic it can be. Dont place blame on yourself...my best goes out to the rider and his family and friends.

ghostrider_9
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the information Vegasbound. I agree that this is a very good example of how important it is to take a minute or two to get everyone on the same page.

RIP Conner!!!

LadyT
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Another terrible story...so sorry to hear this.

My prayers are with the family and friends.

RIP Connor

puckstr
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Horrible news

RIP Connor

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
So sorry to hear this. RIP Connor.

I hope all those that witnessed it, as well as Connor's family and friends, are dealing with this as well as can be hoped.

Let's all learn from the (too many) tragedies we've had this season and see if we can make this the last fatality of the year.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
There was a crap load of very poor rider communication this weekend. Lets step it up guys. This kind of thing is so senseless. Hell, thoughts of things like this went through my head all afternoon Saturday.

Best wishes to Connors family :(

Sean
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Let's all learn from the (too many) tragedies we've had this season and see if we can make this the last fatality of the year.This is one of the most important things. No matter how the lesson is taught to all of us, we need to pay attention and learn. Be safe friends.

I was saddened to hear this sorry. Rest in peace Connor

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
He decided to come from the very back of the pack, pass the group and the then the few other cars in front of me. He didn't see the Audi slow to start the turn until it was too late.

Sad to hear it, but......I think the above says it all. This tragic accident was 100% avoidable. AND, I think all the other riders he passed should realize what would have happened to THEM if he'd have hit any or all of you instead of the Audi. This could have ended much worse, with mutiple riders killed and/or injured.

Slider
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
VERY sad to hear, RIP Connor

ZX Rider
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sad news. RIP

onepoorstunna
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
There was a crap load of very poor rider communication this weekend.

Is this some sort of code for "everything was perfectly okay until the expected consequences of canyon crazy behavior revealed itself"?

Is there EVER a ride where blasting past traffic over the double yellow and doing a solid 30 over in as many places as possible isn't more the norm? yeah yeah yeah, maybe they weren't going that fast this weekend, maybe it wasn't a double yellow, guys, we've ALL done these rides before, and I certainly don't think it was "poor rider communication" which contributes towards the canyon crazy routine occurring all over Colorado canyons every nice weekend during the summer.

I've been on the road to Deckers during a summer weekend with my kids when this gang, that gang, the same "type" of gang that OConner was a part of came blasting by as I was going INTO a corner, the riders were passing me IN the corner, those left behind were in a hurry to get around...and I just kept thinking, "Dear Lord, don't let me have to explain to the kids why the pieces which explode off the bike when oncoming traffic cures this behavior are covered in red icky fluid"......

Come on guys, either we clean this cavalier attitude towards blitzing the local backroads up ourselves, or the cops do to us what they've done to the Dragon because of this same sort of behavior, or we all have to hang our heads a couple times a summer and pretend "RIP Rider" will assuage our guilt for having not taken a stand against such nonsense before more people get clobbered.

RyNo24
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I agree, crazy riding leads to this kinda of stuff. It is sad a rider died, but the fact is, this crash was 100% avoidable. People need to start riding smart before the counties start enforcing the caynons to the point where they are no longer fun. I am sadden a rider died. It is too easy to ride like this in a canyon and reminders why we shouldn't is a hard one...

RIP Connor

Is this some sort of code for "everything was perfectly okay until the expected consequences of canyon crazy behavior revealed itself"?

Is there EVER a ride where blasting past traffic over the double yellow and doing a solid 30 over in as many places as possible isn't more the norm? yeah yeah yeah, maybe they weren't going that fast this weekend, maybe it wasn't a double yellow, guys, we've ALL done these rides before, and I certainly don't think it was "poor rider communication" which contributes towards the canyon crazy routine occurring all over Colorado canyons every nice weekend during the summer.

I've been on the road to Deckers during a summer weekend with my kids when this gang, that gang, the same "type" of gang that OConner was a part of came blasting by as I was going INTO a corner, the riders were passing me IN the corner, those left behind were in a hurry to get around...and I just kept thinking, "Dear Lord, don't let me have to explain to the kids why the pieces which explode off the bike when oncoming traffic cures this behavior are covered in red icky fluid"......

Come on guys, either we clean this cavalier attitude towards blitzing the local backroads up ourselves, or the cops do to us what they've done to the Dragon because of this same sort of behavior, or we all have to hang our heads a couple times a summer and pretend "RIP Rider" will assuage our guilt for having not taken a stand against such nonsense before more people get clobbered.

FZRguy
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
JEFFERSONCOUNTY -- A motorcyclist from Boulder died in a crash in Bear Creek Canyon Sunday. The Colorado State Patrol said the accident happened along Highway 74 about five miles west of Morrison. Troopers said 27-year-old Conor P. McMahon was riding westbound on Colorado 74 about 9:45 a.m. when he tried to pass several cars, just as the driver of a 2001 Audi sedan was attempting to turn. McMahon braked hard and laid the bike on its left side before crashing into the Audi's left rear. McMahon was thrown from the bike. He was wearing a helmet but was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver and the passenger of the Audi were not hurt. Alcohol and drugs are not suspected to be contributing factors. The investigation into other factors is continuing.

pilot
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Modern road bikes can get up to 60 MPH (88 feet/second) in a few heart beats. At that speed just looking over at the nice fall foliage can cost a rider 176 feet. Next, consider one second to realize that one needs to get on the brakes and another second to move the fingers. That's another 176 feet for a total of 352 feet and now the bike is just beginning to slow down. Then, there is the "professional's" braking test that we read about in the latest and greatest rider magazine. Add another 130' for a pro in good conditions. All added up for 482 feet.

http://images.forbestraveler.com/media/photos/inspirations/2007/06/Motorcycle-07-g.jpg

Next time your out for a ride, see just how far that is by counting out about 6 seconds while traveling 60 MPH down a straight road. That's the minimum you'll need to be looking ahead to stop (if you happen to look at the late-season colors every now and then).

Practice quick stops in a parking lot.http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:xtNODlukiWBbCM:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/684151536_6c17ef1d2b.jpg%3Fv%3D0

Condolences to the family.

http://www.netnax.net/imgs/rip/031308rip2.gif

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
From The Boulder Daily Camera:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/oct/20/boulder-motorcyclist-killed-sunday-identified/

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM

Relax. The comment about poor rider communication related to a handful of specific rides throughout which there was poor communication in the form of "where are we going, where are we stopping, what's going on." Everyone gets a wild hair up their ass every once in awhile and we do something that we look back on and go "well that was damn near the dumbest thing I've ever done." As long as we learn from our and others mistakes then we're doing it right. Ride within your limits and remember that being stuck behind cars sucks nowhere near as being stuck in a box.

The season's mostly over and it's been a rough one. Too many riders of all types and experiences have been down. Friends, strangers, brothers, sisters, too many. Instead of jumping up and down on each other about our cavalier attitude, we should sit back & reflect on the season.

There are more riders every year. The idiot quotient is the same, but there are still more of 'em. Remember what sets us apart from them. Ride within your limits, know when not to be stupid, and remember that it's going slow that makes you go fast. And nothing's gonna make you faster than coming home every night so you can do it again in the morning.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Every post seems to emphasize how pointless his death was, and how easily that it could have been more tragic. Passing the group like that? RP to conor, and condolences and all, but man, this was a seriously dumb move, I'm just glad it didn't end up much worse, and hope we can all learn a lesson from this. THIS......is the reason there only a handful of people here or otherwise that I will ride with.

Be careful out there guys.

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Relax.

Ride within your limits, know when not to be stupid, and remember that it's going slow that makes you go fast. And nothing's gonna make you faster than coming home every night so you can do it again in the morning.

Well said. There's no prize money for "winning" on the street, and for 99.99% of the people on this board, Monday pays better than Sunday. It IS possible to have fun, and be safe, simultaneously. I'm a 49%er.... 70% of my (admittedly limited) ability times 70% of available traction = 49% of the maximum speed. I know most of us ride too fast (guilty)sometimes, I know that some of us make sketchy passes sometimes (also guilty), I know that a few are still convinced they are ten feet tall and bulletproof (NOT guilty, anymore). If any of takes anything away from this absolutely avoidable tragedy, it's to maybe take that extra fraction of a second to consider what may happen before you do something that may have life changing (or ending!:() consequences. I consider the folks on this board to be not only valued customers, but also friends, and it breaks my heart every time I hear about one of my friends being hurt, or worse. PLEASE ride with your head, not your adrenal glands!

salsashark
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
THIS......is the reason there only a handful of people here or otherwise that I will ride with.

Be careful out there guys.

ding ding ding... Gutter, tell him what he's won.

modette99
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM

Devaclis
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
No dumbass, this is plain, clear fucking English. THERE WAS SOME POOR COMMUNICATION THIS WEEKEND. Why do you have to swing from my nuts for that comment? Did I mention your name? Your ride? I was involved in a situation this weekend were poor communication caused some frustrations, some worries, and some lost time. Back the fuck off, jesus.

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
No dumbass, this is plain, clear fucking English. THERE WAS SOME POOR COMMUNICATION THIS WEEKEND. Why do you have to swing from my nuts for that comment? Did I mention your name? Your ride? I was involved in a situation this weekend were poor communication caused some frustrations, some worries, and some lost time. Back the fuck off, jesus.

Dana<----cranky (justifiably?)
http://bp0.blogger.com/_Ke2sw0dIs3E/SDH1s4HeWvI/AAAAAAAAClc/L97GOTyb6pI/s400/cranky+cat.jpg

puckstr
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I did not know this Connor guy. But we all know we have to accept the consequences for poor judgement...sometimes with our lives

No one forces you to twist that throttle.

If I choose to ride to the edge, I do it alone.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
....came blasting by as I was going INTO a corner, the riders were passing me IN the corner, those left behind were in a hurry to get around...
They just passed you because you guys are hella slow in the twisties.....:)

.....either that or they were afraid of some of the fur coming off y'all's bodywork at them!:)

onepoorstunna
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
They just passed you because you guys are hella slow in the twisties.....:)

.....either that or they were afraid of some of the fur coming off y'all's bodywork at them!:)

I was in a cage.

schwagman
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
RIP Rider :cry:

JustSomeDude
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
THIS......is the reason there only a handful of people here or otherwise that I will ride with.

+1

Rip Connor. :(