PDA

View Full Version : Is there a punishment for making a false police report???

tl1000riders
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
My wonderful neighbor whom was stealing part of my property. Has been trying to get me in trouble since April. Calling the city, epa, police and my place of work. Long story short they had moved the fence over before we moved in. We had the property surveyed and found out they were 8ft. into our property. They were parking there 5th wheel on it. After the survey I told them about it and offered to let them buy it. They declined and said we would go to court and they would take the property from us. Anyway that didn't work, the property is ours and we built a new fence. We have gotten a ticket for tresspassing for mowing a 1ft strip of grass next to there 5th wheel. Which has been dismissed due to mediation. Now I have a ticket for harassment. The time of the alligation is 7:30 am. Well I leave for work at 6:30 am. and don't return until 6pm. My neighbor and his 8 year old son swear I was home and harassing them at the bus stop that morning. I have witnesses for me to my where abouts that morning. I'm not worried about my ticket.
I'm wondering if there are any charges for the neighbor for harassing me or making a false report to get me in trouble? Thanks

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Colorado Revised Statutes 18-8-111(b) False Reporting to Authorities

It's probably not as easy to prove as it sounds but I would call and speak with an officer about it.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Yes.

18-8-111. False reporting to authorities. (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=47976a31.2a7b16e4.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2718-8-111%27%5D)

(1) A person commits false reporting to authorities, if:
(a) He knowingly causes a false alarm of fire or other emergency to be transmitted to or within an official or volunteer fire department, ambulance service, or any other government agency which deals with emergencies involving danger to life or property; or
(b) He makes a report or knowingly causes the transmission of a report to law enforcement authorities of a crime or other incident within their official concern when he knows that it did not occur; or
(c) He or she makes a report or knowingly causes the transmission of a report to law enforcement authorities pretending to furnish information relating to an offense or other incident within their official concern when he or she knows that he or she has no such information or knows that the information is false; or
(d) He or she knowingly provides false identifying information to law enforcement authorities.
(2) False reporting to authorities is a class 3 misdemeanor.
(3) For purposes of this section, "identifying information" means a person's name, address, birth date, social security number, or driver's license or Colorado identification number.

tl1000riders
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the the information. I hope the Judge puts a stop to this guy. I feel like a prisoner at my own house....

Foolds
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Judge more then likely wont do any thing about it. Call you police department non emergency number and ask how to report this crime. Have a notarized affidavit ready to help your case with the officer.

Vance
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
You might want to think about swearing out a protection order against them if this keeps up too.

SupermotoMJ
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
move the fence back. and when he comes on your side of the propertly line use the "make my day law" and then be done with it!!

Mental
Sun Oct 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
This guy is a tool, and it appears you are on the defensive. Time for that to stop. Get a lawyer, and real pit bull son of a bitch and hit this guy at every angle. He is calling your work. home and filing false reports. In short he is a bully, he's just trying to take your property instead of your lunch money.

Like most bullys, bow up and they will back down. Right now he is feeling like he has the upperhand and has you on a reactionary basis. As long as you continue to be polite, this will continue. He does something you react, he is in control. Now you need to start taking action and put him on a reactionary basis. The best way to do so in this instance is with a lawyer.

Look into zoning violations, possible child endangerment, is he stealing cable? Everything. Definetly a Personal Protection Order. Put him on the defensive, let him know who's in control and this will stop.

Scribbler
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I had a friend who suffered from a similar situation. After speaking to an attorney, he was given the idea to sit back and take the abuse for a while, and document every incident as well as procure documents (ie police reports and responses that were dropped etc) until there was enough to evidence establish a pattern of behavior.

Then he took his neighbor to court and sued him (I'm not an attorney and I don't recall exactly the charge he stated, but it was probably for harassment and emotional distress...or somethin like that). According to my friend's accounting of it, it worked cuz according to him it turned out that the best thing you can do is hit them in the pocketbook.

How nice would it be to mail a Hallmark Card to your neighbor thanking them for providing the coin to purchase your spiffy new sportbike. =D

PROFLYER
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
So let me get this straight. You have your property back according to the survey, correct? He was going to try to get it as his by declaring adverse possession which vaguely states that after 18 years of using land un-contested you can claim the land as yours. That (I think from your post) didn't work so now he's pissed because you moved the fence back.

Either way, you need to file a protective order FIRST. If you are granted one (which you should be) he can no longer contact anyone in reference to you or he's violating that order and they'll come pick him up for that. As far as the harassment of his kid, you need to call the officer that wrote the citation to you and explain that you were at work, have an alibi etc. and need it cleared and that you also want to file a complaint for falsifying a police report. I would also push for torturous interference since he's calling your work.

Also, start keeping a journal of what's going on each day with as much detail as you can, you may have to take this further soon and file suit for the continued harassment to get him to back off.

Captain Obvious
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Also, start keeping a journal of what's going on each day with as much detail as you can, you may have to take this further soon and file suit for the continued harassment to get him to back off.

Record and document everything!!! Times, dates of contacts, etc.

+1 on what the others said, contact the police to discuss the newest complaint he made. Contact an attorney, sometimes they will write an official letter and send it to the person. Oftentimes, that is enough and the behavior stops.

Good luck, bad neighbors suck.

Oh yeah, if you have wireless internet, make sure it is secure. If I was going to screw with my neighbor, I would use their ISP to screw with them. It would be up to you to prove you didn't send emails etc.

modette99
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Mother Goose
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
This guy is a tool, and it appears you are on the defensive. Time for that to stop. Get a lawyer, and real pit bull son of a bitch and hit this guy at every angle. He is calling your work. home and filing false reports. In short he is a bully, he's just trying to take your property instead of your lunch money.

Like most bullys, bow up and they will back down. Right now he is feeling like he has the upperhand and has you on a reactionary basis. As long as you continue to be polite, this will continue. He does something you react, he is in control. Now you need to start taking action and put him on a reactionary basis. The best way to do so in this instance is with a lawyer.

Look into zoning violations, possible child endangerment, is he stealing cable? Everything. Definetly a Personal Protection Order. Put him on the defensive, let him know who's in control and this will stop.
Then kick him in the balls.

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Either way, you need to file a protective order FIRST.....

+1
Whoever get's the order first is in the drivers seat.

DARK ANGEL
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
i say if the fence is on your property remove it.... heck its yours and you can do with it what you want. not your problem he put it there knowingly or unknowingly. im sure that 5th wheel is violating code as well.... and maybe that KE weapon just accidentally found its way to his little spot on this BIG planet....

RyNo24
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
What kind of ground is the 5th wheel parked on? I used to park my car in our wood chip drive way to the back yard. Littleton made us change it to a rock that had to a certain size and type. You could call the city code enforcers and make his life hell by having to change stuff.