PDA

View Full Version : Ever been stung by a bee while riding?

Spiderman
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:24 AM
It happened to me Saturday morning coming into Palmer lake from Monument... shocked the hell outta me! I now have a nice red welt on my neck!

I know there have been a few threads by people who have gotten stung, but I figured why not start a collective thread & see how common this actually is.

Captain Obvious
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Yep, got stung several times on my back by the same yellow jacket.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:33 AM
On my old Hawk, I had a wasp hit my helmet and then fall into my lap. I guess I squished it a little on the gas tank because it stung me in the crotch 3 or 4 times before I could pull over, grab the wasp, set it on fire, shoot it in the head, and disembowel it in front if its children. Little shit.

asp_125
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I was riding with my mesh jacket once and it must've gotten caught in the mesh b/c next thing I knew I got stung in the neck and another one on my wrist where the glove ended.

dirkterrell
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM
On my old Hawk, I had a wasp hit my helmet and then fall into my lap. I guess I squished it a little on the gas tank because it stung me in the crotch 3 or 4 times before I could pull over, grab the wasp, set it on fire, shoot it in the head, and disembowel it in front if its children. Little shit.

It probably thought the Hawk was a super-queen. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/goofy.gif

Never been stung by one. I guess the red-white-blue paint schemes repel them. :)

Dirk

Gregger
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM
During a track day, on a long high speed sweeper, had a bee fly up the front of my helmet inside the closed visor... Did not end well for the bee, and I almost pooped a little...

<----------Allergic

puckstr
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have been stung many times.

One inside my jacket
Twice inside my helmet

Devaclis
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
^^That's only 3. MANY is like, 5 or something. :)

Slo
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Had one come into my jacket and sting me right by Dirks house, shoulda seen me pulling over then. Flinging my helmet and jacket off into someones yard while trying to put the kickstand down and get off the bike all at the same time.

PhL0aTeR
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Just a few..... lol

My first one didnt sting me, but it was one of those big fuckers like end of your thumb big, and furry... anyway, i saw it coming for me, it bounced off my visor and stung the guy behind me on the neck... unfortunately he was allergic....

my first actual sting happened when i was riding the bike 2 blocks in some shorts... luckily it was several inches away from being "fatal" lol....

Next one must have been inside my helmet already, cuz about 10 min from the fuel up i felt it sting my head, and i just wacked my head to kill it thinking it was a normal bug and went down the road... next stop, i had already forgotten about it and my gf at the time pointed out that i had something bloody looking on my head, turns out it was the stinger and entrails from the bee that stuing me, his outer shell was still in the helmet... must have died trying to crawl away by grabbing the helmet lining.... lol

The next one hit me on the neck, and i got kidded the whole weekend about making out with myself and giving myself a hickey.... lol

My last one truly sucked.... bounced off my jacket, went up my helmet and inside my left nostril, i wiggled my nose to try and get it out, and it stung me without warning.... being such a sensitive area, i grabbed the brakes as i yelled at the damn bee, and the tears started welling up.... the guy i was riding with rode back in a couple min and i was picking bee guts from my nose

Dogsbody
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
It happened to me Saturday morning coming into Palmer lake from Monument... shocked the hell outta me! I now have a nice red welt on my neck!

I know there have been a few threads by people who have gotten stung, but I figured why not start a collective thread & see how common this actually is.

Not common at all. I live in Palmer Lake and I've never been stung by a bee.

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
LOL,
"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgqrrWyF0Y

I've been lucky, had them fly in my helmet and jacket, but never stung me.
Worst bee encounter was riding down the highway on the Hardly at about 80 mph (no helmet) and one of those huge bummble bees smacked me right between the eyes.
The impact jerked my head back like a punch and raised a welt almost the size of a golfball on my forhead.

Where's Cathy's post (Mtnairlover)?
I thought she was the reigning queen of bee stings.

JohnEffinK
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Not while riding. At the end of a break, I put my helmet back on and got hit in the forehead. Seemed like a bee took up residence and did not like my melon sharing it with him. Should have checked the helmet first...

John

mtnairlover
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM
4 times.

In the neck in my neighborhood going to the store...right where the Adams Apple normally is...looked like one after it stung me.

On the inside of my left leg between it and the tank. Thought I was stung...didn't look down, but then felt the pain as the venom slowly oozed into my system...kept oozing for a good 20 minutes, too...gah!

Up under the lip of the back of my helmet...how that happened, I'll never know.

Last time was just about the crotch area and I stopped immediately, dismounted and proceeded to do a lil dance in front of Chad who was listening to his i-pod and laughing his ass off.

salsashark
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
got a wasp in the helmet riding through the DTC. By the time I could pull over and get the helmet off, the little bastard got me a couple of times on my cheek.

This was the first time I had been stung by a wasp and my dad is deathly allergic so I was a bit concerned... I sat in the parking lot for about ten minutes, didn't notice any major swelling (other than expected) and no change in breathing patterns so was off again... just with a really sore cheek.

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQriSWN6JQc

PsychoMike
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
many times. and now im angry thinking about it. im going to go punch bee's in the face!

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I was stung while in CA. My jacket is fairly snug, so not sure how the lil guy got into my jacket.

As I was riding I felt a bit of discomfort just above my right breasteseses in my chest. I had never been stung before, so just guessed maybe a wasp. I smacked my jacket as hard as I could while riding. I felt another whip and smacked my jacket again. I couldn’t feel any movement but started to feel a very sharp pain deep in my chest.

Really, it wasn’t the multiple stings that bothered me as much as the tightening in my chest. That part freeked me out a lil.

I’m not allergic that I know of, but that tightening, and my breathing changed a bit so I’m glad I wasn’t far from the hotel that day. When I opened my jacket, the lil guy was still barely alive and still giving everything he had left in him. (must have been a man wasp)

My right breast got bigger (not a good thing) and he died.

The end.

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
many times. and now im angry thinking about it. im going to go punch bee's in the face!

You should just punch Terri in the boob.

chad23
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Last time was just about the crotch area and I stopped immediately, dismounted and proceeded to do a lil dance in front of Chad who was listening to his i-pod and laughing his ass off.
:pointlaugh:HAHAHAHA that was pretty funny. Thanks for the memories.... oh good times:spit:

64BonnieLass
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Not to change the topic, but honestly that wasp sting was nothing. I would rather take that, as opposed to a bird to the throat ANY day of the week.

nate357159
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM
my first time at pmp, forgot to zip up the leathers...

I won't be making that mistake again!

pilot
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 06:55 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:uX3BM21JQgNWBM:http://www.thebeehunter.com/images/YellowJacket.jpgBee DSM: Likes that shiny vinyl look.

Yellow Jacket. No barb on stinger. Stings continuously. Bites and bites again. Mandibles chew through wood (and your skin). The best part is that wasp venom contains a chemical alarm pheromone that signals other wasps to attack. So does aggressive movement like swatting or running.

One summer, several years ago, I mowed over a ground nest. I thought I had brushed up against some barbs of a bush only to realize that my arm and leg were covered with about 20 of the fuckers. I dove into my hot tub for safety. I chewed down several antihistamines (to reduce swelling and counter the effect of the venom on my nervous system). Lucked out--not allergic.

http://www.thebeehunter.com/images/sidebar/BumbleBee2.jpgBusy Bee: Nice fury coat. Honey Bee. Barbed stinger (leaves stinger in your skin).

dm_gsxr
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
My first real long trip (Virginia to Idaho, up to Canada and back via Buffalo), I'd just crossed into Canada from Idaho, pulled in to the rest area after then crossing and threw away some trash. As I pulled out of the area, I felt a *sting* in the crook of my right arm. Then *sting*, then as I looked down to see a yellow jacket laying in my arm, *sting* again.

http://www.schelin.org/20030808/day11/dscn1741x600.jpg

Then riding to work in DC, a yellow jacket got me in the left crook of the neck with three good stings. When I got to work, my whole neck had swelled. It wasn't long after that that I had to hit the nurses office as I was feeling dizzy and a little sick. They iced it and kept an eye on me for a couple of hours until the swelling went down.

Once in Montana I looked down at the edge of my helmet just inside the visor and there was a pretty stunned looking bee staggering around. I pulled over and let him go.

I was heading home and going through Lafayette when I felt movement around my right ear. I shifted the helmet a bit to kill whatever it was. When it kept moving, I was thinking it'd get in my ear so I pulled over and pulled off the helmet. A wasp fell out on the ground.

Not riding but back in Virginia we kept finding yellow jackets flying around inside the house. We finally tracked them down to the laundry room. The downstairs of the house was concrete and set into the hill a little (the back yard came about 2/3rd's up the first floor). The top floor was wooden. So there was a sufficient gap between the wood and the concrete for yellowjackets to build a nest in the overhang which was open into the laundry room. I used some yellowjacket killer and sprayed it up into the joist where the next was (I could see it with a flashlight) and then hotfooted it out of the laundry room. I could hear some mad buzzing behind that door. We'd dropped a towel down so they couldn't get out through the opening under the door. After a few hours, we opened the door and there were hundreds of dead yellowjackets on the windowsill and all over the floors. We were sweeping up dead bugs for some time.

Same house, same problem twice more. The second one, they had built in the ceiling above the downstairs bathroom (next to the laundry room). They'd exploited an opening in the baseboard heat pipes and were coming up into the upstairs. I found them when I was vacuuming and they came flying out. I got stung in the back of the leg and just above and to the left of my left eye. It got so I couldn't see out of that eye even with ice. I had an exterminator come out and use some sevendust on them. The third time I spotted them flying in and out of an opening just a few feet away from the last one. I had the exterminator whack them too.

When I rebuilt the downstairs bathroom and pulled down the ceiling, I found a large pumpkin sized yellowjacket nest between the joists (the second nest) and then there was a 4" wide joist that went from the edge of the house back to the center metal support that was filled with nest.

Man, makes me itch just thinking about it.

Carl

jimwallace
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:20 AM
i have been stung by 2 bees while riding. the first time it got in my shirt and stung me 7 times around my belly button. the BAD time was when i was riding without a helmet once and somehow it managed to go up my NOSE and stung me inside. that one hurt like hell and i had to pull over for 15 or so minutes cause i couldnt see cause my eyes were watering so badly.

fook
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM
only once

leaving work I had my facemask open and felt something hit the side of my face.. few seconds later i felt something making its way towards my ear and I freaked out at 70mph on hwy 36..

ever since I was 12 in Texas where I witnessed my cousin get sent to the ER after a june bug lodged itself deep in his ear canal i've had this real bad thing about bugs coming near my ears so I took my sunglasses and started stabbing back there hoping to kill whatever stupid fly had survived the initial impact of my face.

turns out it was a yellow jacket and he didn't appreciate the sunglass thing so by the time I got pulled over and ripped my helmet off he'd done quite a nice job on the side of my head.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
It's never happened to me, but an old buddy pulled his shorts to the side once to air out the jewels on a hot summer day in the SoCal desert (on the way to Lake Isabella) and......got stung on his left nut!:shocked: I didn't see it but the guy riding next to it saw it and saw Brian almost go into the ditch.:shocked::scream1::banghead: I still really didn't believe it until one day years later when me and a different buddy went riding to the same lake.....and when we stopped for a beer a bee was stuck stinger first in his belt right above his nutz! At that point, I figured what happened to Brian had to be true, especially with the witness. Luckily, nothing like that has ever happened to me.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
My right breast got bigger (not a good thing) and he died.

The end.
That's NOT a good thing?!?!:)

SaShWhO
Wed Nov 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
ride them bitches

Manuel6155
Wed Nov 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I had a close call i was downtown with my face shield up and something hit my face than i heard it buzzing around my ear, it was very ticklish i pulled over took my helmet off and there was the bee flopping around.

CBRSue
Wed Nov 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Yup, been stung a few times while riding. Had the critters get me on my arm, my neck and the chest region, too. :shocked:

dm_gsxr
Wed Nov 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
New one. Rita and I went on a short ride this past Saturday. We came down lookout road and made a left on 93. When we got to 6, we stopped at the light. I had flipped up my shield. When the light changed, just as I took off a bee landed on the liner above my left eye. I tried to shoo him out but he was taking up residence. I pulled over at the wide spot before it went to one lane and carefully shook him out.

No sting though.

Carl

SLVRSURFR
Wed Nov 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM

I haven't been stung yet, But while riding to Denver once, I had my visor up, and big bumble bee splattered on my shades! LOL!

GSXRJOHNNY
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Yes! About two months ago while going to Deckers with the wife on the back. The little bugger got me on the inside of my left thigh. I felt a sting and grabbed the area trying to kill it and then it got me again. I think it was inside my pants. The area swelled up and hurt and itched like crazy. I still have a small welt and it still itches a little bit. That bug had some powerful juice! I'm sure glad it was not a few inches higher or the family jewels would have been involved as well.:shocked:

DevilsTonic
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Stung next to my eye and on the tata. Both this summer within a month of one another.

Jim_Vess
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
This doesn't involve riding, but I was so lucky I had to pass it on.

I got laser eye surgery two weeks ago. The day after the surgery I couldn't really see very clearly, but I could see enough to get around. I noticed something on my carpet that looked like a small leaf or something, so I decided to pick it up and throw it away.

After I grabbed it I could feel it wiggling between my fingers and when I held it close to my face I could see it was a very pissed off hornet. It was trying to sting me, but I was holding it in such a way that it couldn't.

Talk about lucky. :shocked:

BigE
Thu Nov 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I've had one fly/get caught in my jacket when i had the zipper only halfway shut.
The worst bug encounter I've had was hitting one. I swear it was a 3" long black hornet, only got a very brief glimpse before impact. I had on my MX helmet with goggles and my gf on back with my street lid. It hit the edge of the goggle port on my helmet, hard enough my head snapped around 90 degrees. The sides of both helmets looked like I got shot with a paintball and the gf got the overspray:crazy:, and the kicker to all this was I had just crossed an intersection and was going maybe, maybe 25mph. I seriously thought it was a flippin' bird as hard as it hit.

Moveman
Fri Nov 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I had a close call a few months ago. I was riding up 67 at a pretty fast pace an some how a huge yellow jacket managed to land on top of my gage cluster up under the wind screen an just sat there for about 10 miles. I didn't want to mess with him because I'm allergic to bee's, but I needed to do something because it seemed as if he had no plans on leaving any time soon.I should have just pulled off an let him fly away but for some reason I was thinking if I could get him to fly out from under the wind screen the wind would take him away.. I was right it did just not in the direction I was hoping for. As soon as the bee caught wind he flew right into my jacket at the neck. It scared the sh** out of me but some how he managed to find his way out of my jacket with out stinging me.
I lucked out that day next time Ill make sure my jacket is zipped up before I go messing with bee's in the wind.

FortitudoX
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I've been riding for awhile and have yet to have any negative encounters with em (knock on wood)....however on 36 heading back to boudler from lyons my buddy pulled over all of a sudden and was doing stretch like motions while jumping up and down before trying to rip his leather suit off as fast as possible.

I was laughing my arse off because his suit was a little tight and he couldn't get his arms out very easily and was flailing about wildly.

Aparently the bee/wasp had gotten into his boot and was stinging the hell out of his foot. One of the funniest situations I'de have ever seen.

Wyck
Sun Dec 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
OMG! I had no idea this was such a common occurrence. I got stung right in the side. At first I thought it was just a rock that someone in front of me kicked up until the stinging didn't go away! (yes I was riding without a jacket) When we pulled over a little while later I pulled my shirt out of my pants and the dead bee fell out :(