PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help please

Supa77
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
So I am running Windows Vista. It used to be that every few weeks or so there would be an update for Vista, and it would restart the computer to configure the updates. For the last week however every day it wants to update. It will take 30 to 45 mins to configure the updates and try to restart to apply them. When it restarts a box pops up saying that Windows was unable to start up and that the computer is going to try to fix the problem. After about 10 mins or so it starts up. Now I think everything is ok. Except that now I look at my task bar and get a message saying I have shut off my Norton antivirus. So I click on that and choose for Norton to fix the problem. It connects to the internet and downloads new patches for Norton, and about 15 mins later it is now fine and working. So now that I have spent an hour to an hour and a half to go through the whole process I am up and running fine. :)

Until tomorrow when I will have to do it all over again. :banghead:

For my computers sake, (Its been threatened to be thrown into a wall numerous times) is there someone that might be able to help me with this?

I would take it to Geeksquad, but I have not had good luck when it comes to them. I would rather pay someone here to help me.

Thanks in advance,
Gene

DFab
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM
You are now officially in Vista Update Hell. Personally, I gave up on patching/using Vista for the time being. I run a dual boot w/ XP as the primary OS.

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a driver conflict issue. Have you tried to do the updates manually, then restart?

Supa77
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sounds like a driver conflict issue. Have you tried to do the updates manually, then restart?

I have not tried that. I'm really not the best with this kind of stuff. I have always just let it update itself and run a virus scan here and there. Beyond that when it comes to doing things other than just using the programs on the computer I'm pretty much lost.

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Doesn't the "update available" message give you the option to skip the update?

If it does, cancel the auto update, then log onto M/S every other week or so, after you're done using it and let it update.
Or as suggested get a copy of XP and be done with it.

Dana is probably your man on this issue though.

Supa77
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Doesn't the "update available" message give you the option to skip the update?

If it does, cancel the auto update, then log onto M/S every other week or so, after you're done using it and let it update.
Or as suggested get a copy of XP and be done with it.

Dana is probably your man on this issue though.

Ok, I found where it gives me the option to not auto update. I just changed that setting to "check for updates, but let me choose what and when to install"

At least now I hopefully won't have it trying every morning.

By doing that it also made Norton say it needs attention. When I bring up Norton it says everything is secure that it just needs attention because Windows auto update is not turned on. I'm guessing thats ok though?

Thanks Jeff!

Supa77
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Wow it also says there is 7 updates and 3 recommended updates to install. Wonder if the updates are conflicting. I love Vista!

Devaclis
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Is this your laptop? If so, bring it over. I will fix it.

Snowman
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Dana can fix anything...

Supa77
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
It is the laptop. Cuts into WoW time too! Thx Dana! :)

Sortarican
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Dana can fix anything...

Dana fixed my cat......and he can fix your wagon.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Your cat is now a mini kegger of Bud Light. Just pull the tail.

Gregger
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Can I be the token Mac guy to say.... "Shoulda got a mac?"

Or go back to XP. :)