PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie Machine

pixel 6
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7939/1102081657gd7.jpg

Well, been working on this for some time now... and finally the last of the fabrication and welding got done today, so I figured I'd share my project with you and see what you guys think.

Welding moves steel around a bit, so a couple of the internal pieces need to be ground a bit more, and I'll be ready to test it. The work is paid for, and I'll be picking it up by Friday.

Got a trailer for it, and still need to reinforce that, bolt the wheelie machine to it... and build a spring board for the front tire. So still have more work to do on it, but I should be able to test my prototype by this weekend.

I'll be sure to get it all on video and post it up =)

Btw... I have 2 matching dynos... so if the prototype looks good... I'll get to work on building a 2nd one. Denver will not only have 1, but 2 of these to ride! :hump:

Here's a few pics, and links to my MySpace page that has a bunch more pictures on it.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=130846860&albumId=2147356

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=130846860&albumId=2120432

So, anyone want to do a wheelie? Lol

- Pixel -

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9264/1020081716ck1.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/240/1020081659vw3.jpg

- I kill threads -

- Pixel -

chad23
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
cant wait to see the finished product and vid

pilot
Mon Oct 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Nice. Keep up the great work. Now what we need is a cornering/body position machine.

PsychoMike
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
i want to try that. always looked fun.

PROFLYER
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
I must be missing something or another thread. WTF is this thing?

chad23
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I must be missing something or another thread. WTF is this thing?
here's a clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HNuDfIy3v4&feature=related

Moveman
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Nice... so when is the first test run?? I want a try..

PROFLYER
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks Chad.

THAT DOESN'T SUCK! I WANNA TRY!!! Would probably help find balance point on a new bike quick.

pixel 6
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
The machinist asks me... "you going to be riding it this weekend?"
Me: "Dude, I'm going to be on it so much... I'll probably have to test it at a gas station!" lol

Had this idea for a few years now. Wrote a 20 page business plan for making a company around it almost a year and a half ago. And finally got started with it about 4 months ago. So it's been a long time coming.

This should be a fun weekend... but there is more that I need to do to it.

They're reinforcing the trailer, so that the dyno and system bolts directly to the chassis of the trailer. I'll probably want to clean it and paint it so it looks nice... rather than all the raw steel.

I still need to make a spring board and riser plate for the front tire to get the tire level with the dyno, and to take up some of the impact off the forks as the bike comes back down.
I also need to start checking craigslist to find a descent fan and a small generator.
Need to make a safety cable system for it to keep it from looping... and an adjustable 12 o'clock mount on the trailer so I can learn how to "scrape" or at least learn to get back far enough to park it on the bike's 12 bar. Safety cable for everyone else... bar for me =)

I didn't want to get clowned by everyone, so I've only told a small group of friends until now. I guess it's time for clowning? lol

Yeah, so I've busted myself up a few times over the last year, so this should be nice to have to take that edge off of the learning curve on a bunch of things I've been wanting to learn like hand brake. (crashed last year when mine failed after 3 months of learning on it)...

I've been afraid of learning spreaders and seat standers since my HB failed... so this will get those no prob. And I've felt really awkward trying to learn foot in bar, so I think just a little time on this will make those more comfortable... Want to learn coasters, and how to get to the bar. I'm not sure how it will feel, but the machine should be able to let the bike catch idle... so I should be able to keep the bike at 10mph or less I hope... then I can apply what I learned on the machine back to the lots, which is ultimately what I'm hoping to get out of this machine.
The ability to learn things outside my comfort level, and then apply the things I learn on the machine in without it. Time will tell. But I'm pretty confident that this machine will have an actual practical application as that goes.

I'll let you know when I learn hi chairs lol.

Anyways, I babble.

I still have a lot I need to do to let anyone outside my close friends and team use it, and treat it as an actual business concept. But that will take time to setup. Got to cover my bases first ya know?

- Pixel-

chad23
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
good luck with everything and take lots of pics and video for us to see the success and some failures that come with new endeavors

firefghtr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
i wanna play with that

pixel 6
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
The anticipation is killing me lol.

Picked it up from the machinist today... so that part is done!

Now I need to make a springboard for the front tire... I have a cool idea for that to make a combo ramp/springboard for it. Should be sick. But anyways... will be spending the better part of tomorrow working on it so I can give it a twist. Soon! Soon!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhotos&albumID=2153008&MyToken=1f48ee10-d545-4b6b-8046-fa5f78e99195

Here's a pic, and the link to updated pics on myspace.

- Pixel -

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9536/1024081729ka1.jpg

Centrios
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Im jealous! that looks awesome!! You'll have to start a thread when you get to the point of renting time slots on it! Ill be first in line!! Ive always wanted to learn to wheelie but was to scared of smashing up the bike.

biship660
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
nice invention. make sure that you get a paton on that bad boy or someone will and you will be out MILLIONS. PS i would love to check that thing out. if you want any help in fabing some parts let me know I got some crazy ideas

HR636
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
someone else already has the patent. good luck getting any traction on it sitting on the tank. wheelie machines were made for people who don't know how to ride motorcycles as an attraction, no matter what it will never have the same response as when it's not on the machine, so you won't gain anything in muscle memory which is 90% of the skill you need to stunt ride.

HR636
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Well that's awful nice of you to say. Lemme guess, you're a "real" STUNNA and have taken too many falls on your head?

Haters aside, I think it looks sweet! If you get it to where you can put a bike on it quickly, start bringing it to bike nights, you could probably charge for a few minutes on the thing. It may not be like riding a "real" wheelie but props for seeing it through, it looks like fun.

Well, first of all it wasn't hating. It's constructive criticism from personal experience. Yes, I'm a "real" stunt rider. No, I've never taken any falls to my head and I rarely even drop my bike. Yes, it would be a good attraction for bike nights, but it's not a useful training tool. There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction.

Kole.S
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
nice invention. make sure that you get a paton on that bad boy or someone will and you will be out MILLIONS. PS i would love to check that thing out. if you want any help in fabing some parts let me know I got some crazy ideas

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

PROFLYER
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Well, first of all it wasn't hating. It's constructive criticism from personal experience. Yes, I'm a "real" stunt rider. No, I've never taken any falls to my head and I rarely even drop my bike. Yes, it would be a good attraction for bike nights, but it's not a useful training tool. There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction. It didn't read that way. Anyway, maybe he could devise a system in the supports that would pull the axle down onto the rollers...

HR636
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
It didn't read that way. Anyway, maybe he could devise a system in the supports that would pull the axle down onto the rollers...

What is the point? Does this machine teach side to side balance or correct posture or throttle response? No. It's an attraction not a training device.

2wheeltuesday
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Cool stuff man, looks like fun.

Bueller
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
What's the point of you asking a question then answering it?

There isn't one, looks like fun, why bash it?
Do you have a point beyond bickering with someone who knows what it takes to ride a wheelie?

HR636
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
It does look like it'd be fun, just won't be very good for real world practice is all. I'm sure there will be a lot of people lined up to try it.

pixel 6
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM
No prob on the criticism... I'm kinda in uncharted territory here, having never seen one of these things in person, and having never seen anyone on one in a video make it look graceful.

So, I guess to answer a few things I saw above.

One of the reasons I think the existing wheelie machines don't mimic true road conditions is the mass they are moving is too light. A single motorcycle dyno drum only weighs like 200 lbs. By using a dual dyno drum design, along with the huge... and I mean huge steel fly weight housed in the larger side of the dyno, the mass the motorcycle on my machine needs to move is right around 500lbs.

And as near as I can guess, what will make the machine feel more true to real wheelies, is the closer you can get the mass you are moving (drums and fly wheels), to the mass of the bike and rider, the more accurate the machine can simulate a real world wheelie. Think about it... in a real world wheelie, when you're at a dead stop, and dump the clutch, the rear tire is trying to move around 600lbs... now, if your machine only has 200 lbs of mass, it will just spool it up, and not mimic a real wheelie very well... Likewise, if the mass you are moving is say 2000 lbs... the bike would just flip, because there is too much mass to move, and you can't spin up that 2000 lbs very quickly.

So, I guess to answer the simulation part... I think this machine will be close. Also, I have the computer control system, and a giant eddie current brake, so If I need to hook it up to the computer and get it exact, I can go that way as well. But I would like it to be close with just the mass of the metal it'll be moving.

Let's see... Patent. Yes, this idea has already been patented by someone other than me. However, my design is nowhere near what the patent holds. Hense is the beauty of patents. One is able to make improvements, or even simply just differences in a design, and it then becomes a new product. Kind of like cell phones. They all work on the same principal.. but nokia is different than motorola etc... Both are cell phones, they just can't pirate the exact design, and sell it as their own. What... there is only 1 type of motorcycle in the world?

Ok... read something about downward pressure on the tire. Another good design I implimented in my machine, is I can adjust the down pressure to whatever I need to gain the traction I'm looking for. Basically, I can move the axle when the wheel is touching the dyno... and apply 3" of downward travel to the axle. So that issue has already been addressed in my prototype.

I certainly don't mind real stunters speaking their mind on this machine. I did however give a lot of thought on making it as real to true wheelies as possible, and believe I will gain what I want to learn from this machine. I agree with the left to right balance issue... but I personally don't think that will be a limiting factor in using the machine to learn. Steering is just steering, and left to right balance is just adjusted for in each real world wheelie anyways.

I've been busting my ass on this for ages... and the last few days have been killing me trying to get the final details done so I can mount my bike to it... But I'm trying to be patient and do the job right the first time around.

Things I think may be over looked about using this machine is such as... I lost a lot of confidence in using a hand brake when mine failed on me a year ago. So I'd like to get my confidence in that back. I'd also like to then learn seat standers. SS coasters, (pulling in the clutch, and using the hb) are something I think this machine could offer me. And I'm not sure how accurate it will feel, but I finally got idle this year, and hope the machine will be able to handle idle wheelies so that I can start opening up a larger variety of tricks to practice in the lots next year.

So I guess to sum it up, feel free to shoot it down... Who knows, it may not work like I expect it to. But I ultimately built this machine for me, and know what I desire to learn from it. Anything else is icing on the cake.

The machine may be ready by tomorrow afternoon... and hopefully I'll have my bike on it, and running it thru some tests.

- Pixel -

chad23
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Like I said before, good luck and post the video :)

jimwallace
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM
i was just about to say that you could add weight or drag to the rollers so that the job of getting the bike up and keeping it up would be closer to the real thing, but i see you have already thought of that and taken care of it. it seems to m you have this thing thought out well and executed just as well. I would love to try the thing out at some point in the future. nice work man.

Kole.S
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Do you usually jump into things that don't concern you? Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue.

I wasn't questioning his skills, I was questioning his negativity toward an apparatus that looks like a good time, it looks like the guy has put some hard work into it and I can appreciate hard work. And for the record, I can ride a wheelie.

He didnt say anything about you not being able to ride a "wheelie"

Kole.S
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
So when your bike is all mounted up on the machine you can move the axle down 3"? Just tryin to figure out how that would work cause i would think that you could only put a downward pressure on it only so much. Maybe if you took all the tire pressure out so its allmost flat then bolting it down then airing it back up again so there alot of pressure between the rear tire and rollers? Yes no? i dunoo......

jimwallace
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
So I know the machine will not help side to side balance or posture but do you think if brakes or something were added to the rollers this thng could ever be used to help learn throttle response or is there no hope and it will be nothing but a attraction?
thats why he added the weights to the rollers, this will give drag equal to the weight of the bike so that its like the bike is free on the road and you will have to control throttle the same as if you were really riding.

Kole.S
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I know what "for the record" means but it was still retarded.

Bueller
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Do you usually jump into things that don't concern you? Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue.

Public forum moron, Do you usually come on a forum and make an ass of yourself within 10 posts?:jerkoff:
Rhetorical, no need to respond.

pixel 6
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Ok. ALMOST DONE!

Got the ramp bolted on. Added grip tape to it. Looks pretty nice. Got the suspension for the ramp / springboard bolted in place. Only destroyed 2 drill bits =P

The ramp is nice though, since it doubles as a loading ramp, and a way to keep the landing of wheelies light on the bike's suspension.

Took the side plates of the dyno off, and got the drums aligned so that they both make contact with the tire at the same time across the entire distance of the drums. Thing is dead center to probably a 32nd. Pulled off the main plate that houses the flywheel / eddie current brake. Got the belts adjusted for good tension and no slipping.

Gave the machine a good sweep, and the once over with simple green. Every bolt is in place... but the sun was about to set and still had to get the axle mounted to my bike, so ran out of time today.

I still need to decide how I'm doing the safety cable system to it. Definitely want to go through the frame of the trailer on the bottom... But need to figure out the best way to do the system while keeping the line short, and making sure it can't hit anything that will damage it... ie binding up on the ramp or hitting the mid pipes etc. I'll try to figure out a way that I can keep the system short, like by attaching it to the cage rather than the front tire.

So, if I can get that sorted out, I'll be able to test it tomorrow.

Got some pics of the axle on my bike as well, with the custom sliders I had made to protect the axle when I'm crashing in the lots.

Got physical therapy tomorrow at 2:00... so not sure if I'll test it before or after that. Maybe just keep myself in suspense and go get coffee in the morning and just think about doing wheelies lol. Ahh. crap. ok, will probably be doing the safety cable system and coffee. Good combo.

Anyways. My MySpace page will be updated in a few here... in the mean time, here's a few pics of the internals of the dyno, and the kind of overall look as it sits now.

Hey, anyone want to paint it for me?!

=P

- Pixel -

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2043/1028081607oq0.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8425/1028081609qe7.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5669/1028081721bw3.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2607/1028081812bb1.jpg

chad23
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM
what were you thinking as far as paint. I own a painting company and have all kind of sprayers

pixel 6
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Ooh wow cool. Lol. I have no idea. All I know is that getting the ramp and assembly off of the dyno from here on out would be a huge pain in the ass. There's like no space to work with on getting the bolts on between the drum rollers, and the chassis wall.

Think you could work around that?

I guess i was thinking black, white, or yellow for the colors somehow. Something to compliment the look of my bike. I kinda planned on using grip tape on the top of the exposed dyno parts that house the internals... so like the 2 side plates, and the top of the dyno... but partially, I was doing that because it's cheap... and so am I lol. (not really)

So yeah, what do you think would make it pop? Trailer is a drab grey and black... gotta figure out something for that eventually too.

- Pixel -

chad23
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:49 PM
lets get together here soon and figure something out. Buy the materials and we can work out a trade or something along those line. I'll send you a pm

jimwallace
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
you may want to do something like bedliner on the ramp as the paint can get slippery.......especially as it may double as a ramp. also anywhere people may be walking, you dont want to get sued cause some jackass slips and gets an owie.

Bueller
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Check your PM. Tenure carries no weight, flex your e-penis all you want, punk.

and Pixel, thing looks way sweet, if Chad is gonna paint it I wanna come see it.
Pretty fuckin ironic you talk about e-thugin'

Call me a moron again and I'll come visit your punk ass at your failing epic motorsports. The first guy was being an ass, this guy worked hard on his machine and a few dumb fuck "stunnas" crawl all over him for it.

You can flex your e-penis all you want online, but I'm local.

Grow the fuck up

Kole.S
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
whats a stunna

HR636
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
Coming from a guy who acts 12....but was born in 1959 :shocked:...I bet you got a 5 year plan too...not die? :dunno:

Shut the fuck up. I'm sure everyone would love to kick your ass now. I hope you don't threaten to come to my work and beat me up because I'm unemployed so it wouldn't very easy to find me.

PROFLYER
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm un-threadjacking this thread, if you've got a problem with me, PM me and we'll set something up, I think your attitude will change in person, or I'll help adjust it, either way, it wouldn't be the first time.

Kole.S
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
lol its the internet stop being a idiot who gives a mooses last shit what anyone says on here

HR636
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'm un-threadjacking this thread, if you've got a problem with me, PM me and we'll set something up, I think your attitude will change in person, or I'll help adjust it, either way, it wouldn't be the first time.

You can't control everything. You're not God. Who cares if you think you can unhijack a thread. You're the dumbass who hijacked in the first place. You need the attitude adjustment bud. This is an A-B conversation so C your way out of it before D jumps over E and F's you up.

konichd
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
So do I get to see some God Damn wheelies now? :)

Very nicely done, I want to see this in action!

HR636
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Tough guy behind a computer screen, how about you come down to my gym, anytime, you name it, and we'll see who's tapping out or passing out.

What's beyond me is why would you insist on shitting on a dudes hard work? Is it because you're a broke ass punk without a job? Your mother not love you? Your daddy fuck you too much? Help me understand why you'd be such a bitch. I know it's online yada yada but I'm a member here because I'd like to get to know the other members and RIDE with them. So, assuming you'll see the thing in action one day, wouldn't it make more sense to either shut the fuck up or maybe use your knowledge and help him make it better?

I'm sure that's way over your head, but again, I'm just curious.

D-D-D-D-DOUCHEBAG ALERT

Mother Goose
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2607/1028081812bb1.jpg
Kinda looks like a 929. :D Can't wait to see this thing finished. :applause:

hcr25
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
This thread is way better then the highplains thread!

What is the purpose of two brake calipers on the rear wheel?
Is one for a bar mounted hand control?
mike

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Looks like it's definately got potential & is something new enough that most haven't seen it before! Is there some kind of cable attached to keep some from being a little over-aggressive & going farther back than the balance point?

chad23
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
there should definitely be some sort of a leash to keep the bike from going over.

pixel 6
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
There almost always needs to be someone to help the bike up because of the lack of traction.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! lol.

So here was my day.

Ok, so loading the bike to the trailer is easy breezy, but definitely a 2 person job. From the there, I got the bike on the springboard / ramp, and jacked the ramp up into position. Worked nice since the ramp becomes elevated once the shocks are in place, it helped the bike get onto the dyno nice and easy. 1 person lifts, the other aligns the bricks, and slid into position like a bolt action rifle.

Did some fine tuning adjustments to make sure I was level, and slipped the quick release pins with the downward adjuster set screw in place. This turned out to be a very convenient and easy thing to do. Adjusted the downward pressure on the tire, and locked it in place with the 3/4" bolt from below.

Got the bike powered up, and took the machine to my limiter in 6th... 130mph after various tugs and brake checks. Noticed as I was accelerating hard that I was getting some slipping.

After going over a few more things on the bike like tightening the preload and compression damping on the rear, took the bike out to where I could be loud and uninterupted and gave it some tugs.

Here's what I found out.

Even after the tire was all warm and gummy, If I throttled up hard, or slipped the clutch, I'd get very little lift, and tons of tire spin. So shut it down, and adjusted for even more down pressure on the tire. Still no dice.

The rear drum spun up fine, but the front drum connected to the pully / fly wheel was having a hard time getting up to speed. So, decided to experiment, and took off the cover, and unhooked the pully belts from the fly wheel. Tested it again. This time the tire was able to stay hooked up, but had too little mass to lift the front more than a couple of inches at WOT.

So, reconnected the fly wheel, increased the down force on the tire, and tightened the belts more that I had initially. Got no slipping from the pully, but still didn't have enough traction on the drum. But by tightening the pully, and increasing the down pressure on the tire, was able to get it to come up about 2 or so feet slipping the clutch to WOT.

So, not the news I wanted to give every one lol. But it's where I'm at. As far as the rest of my design, and mechanical bits... the system is sick. Super strong, and I have very few wants.

I'll be calling my machinist tomorrow, and see if he's able to do the metal spit coat (looks like 60 grit sand paper) on the roller. If he can't I'll keep shopping around, as I think this is going to be the best solution.

The dyno as it is now, has some vertical lines across the drum, and all in all is really smooth. No finish to speak of.

If I run into a hitch trying to get the drum coated with something that works like sand paper, but metal and more durable... I'll see if my machinist can put some horizontal etching on the drum and get me some traction.

Well, I could go on for ages about all this.. but this is where I'm at. Would have loved if it worked flawless on the first try, but I'm not going to let a little thing like a wheelie machine not being able to do wheelies get me down. lol.

Here's a couple pics of the current progress.

- Pixel -

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9489/1029081244ek7.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6866/1029081616do5.jpg

chad23
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM
you would be a genius if you got it to work the 1st time. Tweak here tweak there and you'll get.

Mother Goose
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM
See.... 929. :D :lol: Lookin good. I was going to say something about getting some kind of grip tape for the roller, but I figured you had it covered.

pixel 6
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
No no... there's two 0's in Goose. lol.

Yeah, did a bunch of research and calling today to a bunch of dyno manufacturers... So after arming myself with info, went back to my machinist today and took a look at some diamond knurling samples. Found one that looks like it'd work just fine... nice and pointy. I'm pulling off the drum and taking it to him tomorrow morning, and he's going to rush the job and get it done for my by tomorrow evening. So let's see. today's what? Thursday? So put it back together on Friday, and go test it again on Saturday.

Wish me luck!

- Pixel -

"Some meter maid tried to give me a ticket today for parking on a sidewalk... I told her it was a 50cc bored out to a 929"

lol

- Pixel -

pixel 6
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM
This thread is way better then the highplains thread!

What is the purpose of two brake calipers on the rear wheel?
Is one for a bar mounted hand control?
mike

Yeah, the most common setup is the FullThrottleInc adapter. So reservoir is mounted on the bars with the HB... then the like goes to your rear brake into the adapter... then back out of the rear brake master to the stock caliper.

Mine setup is the HoHey designs bracket... so my hand brake has it's own reservoir, and goes to the furthest caliper... and my normal rear brake has it's own reservoir, and independent caliper as well.

Both work good if you bleed the system right.

But mine's the pricy route to go.

- Pixel -

pixel 6
Fri Oct 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Voila!

- Pixel -

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9383/1031081732ag2.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3471/1031081736kr8.jpg

PROFLYER
Fri Oct 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
bad arse

#1Townie
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
what about wraping the drums with grip tape??

pixel 6
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Oops. Double post...

pixel 6
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Take it in...

=)

Wheelies... but needs some tweaking to feel right. Tire hooks up good now, but the fly wheel makes a 1st gear clutch up feels closer to a 3rd gear clutch up. But I have some ideas on how to make adjustments.

I''ll post some more info, and more questions in a bit.

- Pixel -

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7939/1102081657gd7.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3883/1102081652hs1.jpg

chad23
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
NICE!!!!!

derekm
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
test rides????

Moveman
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I wanta try...

pixel 6
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Ok, here's where the project is at.

Test 1: Couldn't get traction, so did diamond knurling and increased the down pressure.

Test 2: Got traction, but the fly wheel pulleys were giving the drums a 1 to 1.3 ratio. That ratio made the fly wheel spin faster than the drum, making the wheelies feel wrong on launch, and engine braking. Also had to use way too much throttle to both launch it, and keep it at BP.

Test 3: Today. Got a new fly wheel put on the system, at a 1 to 1 ratio. So now the wheelie feels right when it's at BP. However, I now have a problem with too little rotating mass. The acceleration on the launch feels too light. But I have no problem spinning up the mass I'm moving.

Based on the weight of steel, and plugging in some numbers, The drums each weigh about 75 lbs. So a 150 lbs combined there. The fly wheel also weighs about 150 lbs. So the mass I'm currently moving is 300 lbs give or take.
The number I'm looking for, is the weight of the bike plus rider... so figure 450 + 150 on the low side... 600 lbs. I'm a little over 200 lbs... so my target number would be more like 650 or so.
So I'm now 350 lbs too shy on my rotating mass.

So my possible solutions, are

1: Add the fly wheel from my other dyno to the fly wheel on the existing one. Brings me to 450 lbs, so still 200 lbs shy. Would be fairly easy to do though, so might give this one a test.

2: See if the eddie current brake will work with only one side of the dyno plugged in. If I get lucky here, I can use the eddie current brake to resist the 300 lbs I'm moving, and make it feel like 650 or whatever.
Only reason I don't like this one, is the system starts to become computer controlled, rather than a mechanical system, which I'd prefer.

3: Plugging in the math, a 28" drum, 8.5" thick, would weigh 460 lbs. Then add the other drum at 75 lbs... and fly wheel at 135 lbs... so total about 670 lbs. Right around my target weight for the system.
If the eddie current test doesn't work, I'll probably have to go this route... only drag is steel is about a dollar a pound... and I'll need to get a 675 pound drum of steel 42" wide, and get it machined down in width to 28.5" wide.
So basically I'll have 200 bucks in metal shavings sitting on the floor if I do this one. =/

Well, anyways, got a crappy phone vid of my first test today. Sorry for junk quality. Was getting dark quick, so had to rush this test a bit. Ooh, and sorry about the first minute of on the vid... was warming up the tires, and I don't have a good editing program for video on my laptop to crop the first part out.
First couple of pulls you can tell I have too little weight I'm moving. Thing spins right up!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=46370940

Will give the eddie current brake a try on Friday when I finally get some free time!

- Pixel -

Ooh. Dlish... Even though I've never done one in the streets... Coasters on the machine felt pretty cool lol.

You still get first try after I get it dialed in... Try to be patient! I'm working away at it!

- Pixel -

derekm
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I got nothing but time

Ok, here's where the project is at.

Test 1: Couldn't get traction, so did diamond knurling and increased the down pressure.

Test 2: Got traction, but the fly wheel pulleys were giving the drums a 1 to 1.3 ratio. That ratio made the fly wheel spin faster than the drum, making the wheelies feel wrong on launch, and engine braking. Also had to use way too much throttle to both launch it, and keep it at BP.

Test 3: Today. Got a new fly wheel put on the system, at a 1 to 1 ratio. So now the wheelie feels right when it's at BP. However, I now have a problem with too little rotating mass. The acceleration on the launch feels too light. But I have no problem spinning up the mass I'm moving.

Based on the weight of steel, and plugging in some numbers, The drums each weigh about 75 lbs. So a 150 lbs combined there. The fly wheel also weighs about 150 lbs. So the mass I'm currently moving is 300 lbs give or take.
The number I'm looking for, is the weight of the bike plus rider... so figure 450 + 150 on the low side... 600 lbs. I'm a little over 200 lbs... so my target number would be more like 650 or so.
So I'm now 350 lbs too shy on my rotating mass.

So my possible solutions, are

1: Add the fly wheel from my other dyno to the fly wheel on the existing one. Brings me to 450 lbs, so still 200 lbs shy. Would be fairly easy to do though, so might give this one a test.

2: See if the eddie current brake will work with only one side of the dyno plugged in. If I get lucky here, I can use the eddie current brake to resist the 300 lbs I'm moving, and make it feel like 650 or whatever.
Only reason I don't like this one, is the system starts to become computer controlled, rather than a mechanical system, which I'd prefer.

3: Plugging in the math, a 28" drum, 8.5" thick, would weigh 460 lbs. Then add the other drum at 75 lbs... and fly wheel at 135 lbs... so total about 670 lbs. Right around my target weight for the system.
If the eddie current test doesn't work, I'll probably have to go this route... only drag is steel is about a dollar a pound... and I'll need to get a 675 pound drum of steel 42" wide, and get it machined down in width to 28.5" wide.
So basically I'll have 200 bucks in metal shavings sitting on the floor if I do this one. =/

Well, anyways, got a crappy phone vid of my first test today. Sorry for junk quality. Was getting dark quick, so had to rush this test a bit. Ooh, and sorry about the first minute of on the vid... was warming up the tires, and I don't have a good editing program for video on my laptop to crop the first part out.
First couple of pulls you can tell I have too little weight I'm moving. Thing spins right up!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=46370940

Will give the eddie current brake a try on Friday when I finally get some free time!

- Pixel -

Ooh. Dlish... Even though I've never done one in the streets... Coasters on the machine felt pretty cool lol.

You still get first try after I get it dialed in... Try to be patient! I'm working away at it!

- Pixel -

whodis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
pretty awesome.

Centrios
Mon Dec 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
So how is the fine tuning coming along?

pixel 6
Wed Dec 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Been really cold... will probably wait until the first of the year to do more work on it. The last change I did to the system didn't work... so I know what direction I need to go now.

I should have it ready to play on by spring for sure.

- Pixel -

Mother Goose
Thu Dec 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Might be too late for this, but I have a suggestion. I'd think that you'd want the bike turned the other direction, so that if someone freaks out, they don't bail and land on the tongue of the trailer or your truck.

HR636
Sat Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Might be too late for this, but I have a suggestion. I'd think that you'd want the bike turned the other direction, so that if someone freaks out, they don't bail and land on the tongue of the trailer or your truck.

Come on, you'd have to be some kind of a pussy to bail off a stationary bike. Whoever does that deserves the pain that ensues.

derekm
Sun Jan 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
good point...

Come on, you'd have to be some kind of a pussy to bail off a stationary bike. Whoever does that deserves the pain that ensues.
better one lol

DeVeck
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 02:03 PM
...Vagina really IS everywhere!

Mother Goose
Wed Jan 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
True, but at the same time, people love to sue others in this country for less.