PDA

View Full Version : Tundra or Titan?

InlineSIX24
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Those who have comparison info between the '07/'08 Tundra vs. Titan. What would be your pick and why? On the older models I would definitely go Titan, but everything I've heard about the new Tundra's sounds pretty impressive.

http://images.4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/131_0703_04_z+2007_toyota_tundra_extra_cab+drivers _side_view_e.jpg

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2008titan.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Toyota has been Taliban tested.

rybo
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
I own a 2005 Titan and have to say that it's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Mileage is respectable if I don't drive it like a hot rod (I can get 20MPG if I'm careful). Power is extremely good, handling and ride are very good and the seats are comfortable. Overall I've been very impressed, and I've now driven it 82,000 miles. Routine maintenance is all that's been required.

Things that could use improvement: The door design causes a bunch of wind noise in STRONG cross winds.

The exterior mirrors have started to rattle in the last 5000 miles (truck now has 106K on it)

Other than those small issues it's an outstanding vehicle and I would buy another one.

Scott

rforsythe
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
I had similar experiences with my old Tundra.

All in all, I think it's really a matter of personal preference. Drive both and see which one you like better. Both are great trucks.

PROFLYER
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Tundra, the new one is sweet for sure

Sortarican
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM
Why do you hate America?

http://www.snuffledopple.com/images/2315201.jpg

Big-J
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
You can't really go wrong with a Toyota, they last forever!

rybo
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Both of these trucks are built in America.

nattynoo
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm a toyota girl myself.

dchd1130
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Why do you hate America?

http://www.snuffledopple.com/images/2315201.jpg

there probably more american then ford or chevy anymore

Sortarican
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Why do you hate Mexico?
http://www.snuffledopple.com/images/23156n.jpg

Both of these trucks are built in America.

there probably more american then ford or chevy anymore

^^^ Fixed it.

dchd1130
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM
^^^ Fixed it.

:drink: because of the water :dunno:

Big-J
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
What I don't understand is how GM, Ford, and Mopar can't afford to keep factories open, and the cars/trucks they designed are built out of the country cheaper then would be here, and Toyota is expanding and opening up new facilities and Americans are building these cars/trucks. WTF!

rybo
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
What I don't understand is how GM, Ford, and Mopar can't afford to keep factories open, and the cars/trucks they designed are built out of the country cheaper then would be here, and Toyota is expanding and opening up new facilities and Americans are building these cars/trucks. WTF!

It's really all about unionization and the pension payables in the big 3's future. Toyota has been extremely successful in keeping the unions out of their business.

The big 3 have future pension and medical care payments that are staggering and have to keep either their costs low or their profits high to overcome the future payables. (overhead). They have been extremely unsuccessful in having a reasonable profit margin, so have to reduce the size of the workforce and the infrastructure in order to keep costs low.

Say what you want about Unions, I know they have served a purpose, but they are presently killing both the auto and the airline industries in our country.
s

dchd1130
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM
It's really all about unionization and the pension payables in the big 3's future. Toyota has been extremely successful in keeping the unions out of their business.

The big 3 have future pension and medical care payments that are staggering and have to keep either their costs low or their profits high to overcome the future payables. (overhead). They have been extremely unsuccessful in having a reasonable profit margin, so have to reduce the size of the workforce and the infrastructure in order to keep costs low.

Say what you want about Unions, I know they have served a purpose, but they are presently killing both the auto and the airline industries in our country.
s

You beat me to it

InlineSIX24
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Why do you hate America?

:lol: nice. Actually I just sold my piece of America that I owned since 02' It was a great truck, but diesels are cranky on cold mornings and with fuel prices where they are now it just makes more sense to go w/ something a bit smaller that uses gas. It won't be as much fun to drive or have the power, but I don't own a big trailer and the trade will be worth it. I'm ready for that new car smell and I don't think that an F150/Ram 1500/GM 6.0 have what I'm looking for even though they are all decent.
I got my fun out of the other one..

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/44036/2206635400100027354S500x500Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/38135/2202453090100027354S500x500Q85.jpg

Filo
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Honda Civic.

You can haul anything you need to (as long as you don't mind being mocked on the internet for all eternity).

Sortarican
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Honda Civic.
You can haul anything you need to (as long as you don't mind being mocked on the internet for all eternity).

There ya go:

http://i30.tinypic.com/2pt4itg.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
:lol: nice. Actually I just sold my piece of America that I owned since 02' It was a great truck, but diesels are cranky on cold mornings and with fuel prices where they are now it just makes more sense to go w/ something a bit smaller that uses gas. It won't be as much fun to drive or have the power, but I don't own a big trailer and the trade will be worth it. I'm ready for that new car smell and I don't think that an F150/Ram 1500/GM 6.0 have what I'm looking for even though they are all decent.
I got my fun out of the other one..

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/38135/2202453090100027354S500x500Q85.jpg
Dude! That thing smokes like a Hardley!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't drive the Titan but sat in it, but I did the Tundra and I REALLY liked the CrewMax with the 5.7L V8. Suh WHEET! Great motor. the only drawback is a non-mechanical locking rear diff like the GM/Chivvy has.

InlineSIX24
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Dude! That thing smokes like a Hardley!

And then some. If you turn the fuel up all the way it will stop both lanes of traffic on the highway. I like the crewmax also. Tough decision. I believe the crewmax actually has a bit lower tow weight rating vs. the regular extended cab, but I do like the 5.7L

Fly boy
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Like scott said,

I have an 06 LE and LOVE it. Awesome power and there are some mods out there that are pretty simple/easy/cheap.

As for MPG - 12.5-14 city depending on foot, and I have gotten 18/19 mpg on highway, but 16.5 average.

The Black Knight
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Those who have comparison info between the '07/'08 Tundra vs. Titan. What would be your pick and why? On the older models I would definitely go Titan, but everything I've heard about the new Tundra's sounds pretty impressive.

Just go get another Cummins(the new 6.7L is badass) dude. Believe me, you'll thank yourself in the long run and have a way better truck as well. If you ever do get something that is heavy or big, you'll be chuckin all the way home when you romp on the Cummins.

but if you have to have one of the weenie trucks. Get the Tundra, looks tough and has a stout motor. Plus have you looked at the rear end and axle on the Titan. Looks like two #2 pencils poked into a tennis ball. It just strikes me as weaksauce.

As far as fuel prices are concerned with the tumble of fuel prices now, it would only be in your best interest to get another Diesel. If the prices stay where they are, several in the Wall Street Journal are expecting us to stay in the 70's for a barrel of oil well into next year(even during summer, they're betting on drastic slowdown in demand). Even if OPEC decides to quit producing, they demand is very low now.

What's the Diesel prices in Denver now?? Here in Colorado Springs, cheapest I've found is $3.35(as of today) and in Woodland Park, it's around $3.15 a gallon. Gas here has also hit the $2.60ish territory.

Like scott said,

I have an 06 LE and LOVE it. Awesome power and there are some mods out there that are pretty simple/easy/cheap.

As for MPG - 12.5-14 city depending on foot, and I have gotten 18/19 mpg on highway, but 16.5 average.

That's not that great for fuel mileage in town. Highway is down too. Depends on your mods and your driving though.

My Silverado with duals, CAI gets between 15-19mpg in town. I've never gotten much of a highway figure for it, only places I've really gone are out East and to Denver. I easily get into the low 20's with it. All this and not driving like a grandpa, but driving conservatively.

Which is why I've wanted a diesel(mainly Cummins) for so long. I know guys with stock Cummins getting 18-21mpg in town. Only Duramax I know of that gets good my friends 01, he's got it chipped, CAI and exhaust. In economy mode he can manage 22-23mpg in town.

Downside to diesel are the maintenance cost and fuel prices tend to be .40 to .60 cents higher then 91 octane, which is a real bummer.

Mel
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
And then some. If you turn the fuel up all the way it will stop both lanes of traffic on the highway.

It also makes girls scream....

MikeG
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
I looked at the consumer reviews on the Titan a year or two back and they were all pretty negative. I want to buy a 07 tundra, but not until my finances are in order, so that's what I would recommend, the only negative on the 07 Tundra was a recall on camshafts. But, Toyotas run forever so there ya have it.

InlineSIX24
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
It also makes girls scream....

Oh.. that was the truck doing that? And here I thought..

InlineSIX24
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
.. Plus have you looked at the rear end and axle on the Titan. Looks like two #2 pencils poked into a tennis ball. It just strikes me as weaksauce..

:lol: Actually I have thought that every time that I look at them, but I think that all of the gas components are going to look like that to me after the Dodge. I haven't really gotten a chance to compare some of the parts like that to the Tundra.
Diesel prices won't ever get back to being as much cheaper than gas as they were. The government has forced the additives and regulations that will keep in inflated. Once you upgrade the diesels to make them really fun to drive they get about the same mileage (or worse) as a half ton gas truck.

chad23
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
It all comes down to bed size. I looked into the titan and it's bed is only 5'6" with no options. The tundra comes with an 8' bed even on the crew cab. Gotta have the big bed :eyebrows:

rybo
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
My Titan bed is 6.5' and the new ones are available with a longer bed as well.

ChrisCBX
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
We have owned several Toyotas over the years and they have always been very durable and reliable.

Our current Tundra has over 80,000 miles that have included hauling lumber, bikes, rocks, etc. and is still in excellent shape with no rattles/leaks and minimal issues. I'd buy another one without hesitation.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
It all comes down to bed size. I looked into the titan and it's bed is only 5'6" with no options. The tundra comes with an 8' bed even on the crew cab. Gotta have the big bed :eyebrows:
Well, the CrewMax, which is the one I wanted for caring my kids around and camping in, I believe has a 5'6"-ish bed. About the same length as my dakota QuadCab bed, but maybe an inch or so wider and a couple inches deeper. But, the bed's long enough to put my dirtbike or streetbike in with the gate down so that's big enough for me.

Fly boy
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
That's not that great for fuel mileage in town. Highway is down too. Depends on your mods and your driving though.

My Silverado with duals, CAI gets between 15-19mpg in town. I've never gotten much of a highway figure for it, only places I've really gone are out East and to Denver. I easily get into the low 20's with it. All this and not driving like a grandpa, but driving conservatively.

I only have a 4 mile drive to work and I don't drive on the highway really at all. I am sure I would get better if I drove it around more.

As for problems with a Titan..... Diff seals tend to leak on earlier models, but covered by warrenty.