PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Delivery - What Do You Tip?

JustSomeDude
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM
So, most places have a BS "delivery charge" of around $1.40 - $1.80 when you order online. When all is said and done... pizza cost, tax, and delivery charge, what do you give the driver for tip these days?

This poll is more for me to consider whether or not I need to up my tips than anything else.

:)

JustSomeDude
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
PS: Assume a typical order of 1-3 medium/large pizzas. Obviously bigger tips are required on huge party orders.

PhL0aTeR
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
i delivered pizzas for a few months last year, so from a delivery guys view, $2 is pretty standard, anything less than a dollar is just an insult.... lol..

sprtbkbabe
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Seriously? We're polling on how much to tip the pizza delivery guy already?

FAUK!!!

It's gonna be a LOOOOONG winter!!!!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Give the guy a $10 spot and tell him to buy somethin' nice for the little woman. :D

thatmofo
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Tip him 20% minimum because he knows where you live?

DanFZ1
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
I can inhale a large 3 topping pizza in short order, all by my self at the end of the day so I just give them a $20 and tell them to keep the change. Of course I always seem to have coupons as well. Maybe they remember, maybe they don't, but my Pizza is always hot and fresh. :hump:

To the pizza delivery personnel among us: Do you remember your regular customers? Does tipping really make a difference?

dm_gsxr
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Don't have pizza delivered. So far we haven't found any good delivery pizza and we don't eat enough to justify it. Occasionally we have Chinese delivered but that's every couple of months. And it's generally 20% of the order.

We do go to Nick and Willies or Anthony's from time to time.

Sorry I can't be of help.

Carl

King Nothing
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Papa Murphys FTW

pilot
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
Papa Murphys FTW+1000 !!!Try the Chicago Style Stuffed pizza!!!

PhL0aTeR
Tue Oct 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
To the pizza delivery personnel among us: Do you remember your regular customers? Does tipping really make a difference?

i remembered regular customers, and if they tipped well id remember what they needed, like extra parm cheese, peppers, etc, might even cop a ranch or garlic butter sauce on the way out if i know they like it..... BUT you are more apt to get remembered if you leave no tip or a shitty tip. those are the orders that get left sitting on the rack ready to go because nobody wants to take them.... lol

UglykidJoe
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Gotta help them out, I am a generous tipper, always leave more than 20% unless service really sux. Our pizza kid has been at it a year now, going to Community College and schlepping pizza's to get by, he always comes in and pets the dogs, knows by our order if all the kids are at the house, comments on the yard, great kid.

Spiderman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
10%... maybe a bit more

I delivered pizza's right after high school (so, "back in the day"... and when delivery was free), and my boss told me to expect an average of 10%... some would tip more, some would tip less, but it usually averaged out to 10%.

Regular customers are remembered, and big "party" orders do not always mean a bigger tip... I had a $41-and-change order (remember, this was "back in the day", so this was a BIG order), and it was on the far outskirts of town... Fucker gave me $42 and told me to keep the change. :321:

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Tip him 20% minimum because he knows where you live?

+1 20% or $3 minimum.

When I was younger I worked several places doing pie delivery.
I've had guns and knives pulled on me, people try to steal my car, bogus joke orders (pizza for I.C. Weiner), braved the worst bizzards,
and dodged deadly traffic on a daily basis.
A waitress only walks across the fucking room and most people tip at least 10-15%.

And yes we remember you.
If you're a regular and a good tipper you will have drivers fighting over your order and it will be the first one delivered on the loop.

There was a German nanny that used to order a pie every day for lunch and would actually wait for her 10 cents change.
We all used to Roshambo for who had to deliver her.
We all wondered if she was aware of the tipping concept so finally I asked her one day.
She gave me the nasty Nazi hairy eyeball and spat back "Yezzzzzzz".
Then pocketed her ten cents and slammed the door....She got sneeze pizza from everyone after that.

Worst order ever, Christmas Eve, in a blizzard, had to park outside their cul de sac and walk like 15 pizzas up to their house on 3 trips.
Paid with a check for exact amount, no tip. I told the guy to never order from us again.
He called the manager to bitch who told him it was due to the walk not being shoveled etc.,
but we put his address down in the system as a deadbeat do not deliver.

puckstr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
So, most places have a BS "delivery charge" of around $1.40 - $1.80 when you order online. When all is said and done... pizza cost, tax, and delivery charge, what do you give the driver for tip these days?

This poll is more for me to consider whether or not I need to up my tips than anything else.

They do this because there a TON OF CHEAP ASS MOTHERFUCKERS ordering pizzas.

3 years ago I was on hard times and worked 60+ hours a week between two jobs (one was Black Jack Pizza delivery).

So many times I was stiffed on a tip, by a jackass with a check or the exact amount. This was mostly from homes that were Million Dollar homes in the 17th ave (Park Hill) area and Hill Top. House poor rich people.

The best tips were from Hispanic families near Peoria and Clofax.
Why? Because they know what it is like to work for tips and they tip well for good service.

So adding the charge is something that keeps the turn over of drivers lower.

BTW. The pizza delivery employees REMEMBER cheap jerks and will either
desecrate your pie, or put you at back of the delivery pile.

Jeff made a good point....
Waitresses only carry your food.
Delivery people...Well. We took the orders, made the pies, washed the dishes, and made the deliveries.

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
So many times I was stiffed on a tip, by a jackass with a check or the exact amount. This was mostly from homes that were Million Dollar homes in the 17th ave (Park Hill) area and Hill Top....

Noticed the same thing.
On average, the nicer the house, the lesser the tip.

Best tippers, waitresses and strippers.

puckstr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Oh I forgot. There was always a huge pizza order on Sundays.
It was to the Temple in Lowry area.

Ha Ha Ha the new guys would always fight over the run.
We would wait to see there faces when they returned....

So where is the tip??? Ha Ha they pay with a check and NO TIP.

ChrisCBX
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm always a good tipper but I don't get pizza delivered very much.

I'm spoiled for life due to growing up in eastern Ohio in an area that has arguably, the best pizza in the nation. If I were still living back there I'd weigh 300 pounds and would have deliveries 2 or more times a week.:)

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Usually a $2 min, unless conditions are shit (which is usually when & why I'm ordering pie anyway) in which case I'll add on up to 3 bucks ($5 total for all you math whizzes). If you've gotta go through the rain, sleet, snow, & dobermans that I didn't want to, then you get an extra couple for your troubles

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
..I'm spoiled for life due to growing up in eastern Ohio in an area that has arguably, the best pizza in the nation...

Very arguable......but I have had good pizza in Ohio.
(Wait...Chris is from Ohio. I take that back then, nothing good has ever come out of Ohio.)

Best pie? NYC, Philly, Chicago.

puckstr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
NYC FTW

I had a kick ass pie in a dive in Time Square

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Best pie, NY. If you say otherwise you have never had it. And you are smelly.

salsashark
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
mmmm pizza... DO WANT

PhL0aTeR
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
my best tip was $90....... a huge $450 order for one of the office buildings on new years eve... was paid with a corp credit card and some lackey picked it up and said, 20% tip sound good? and wrote it in .... sweeeeeeeeeet :)

inkahootz
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
ABO's -- yummy!

now i want pizza for lunch

Frosty
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
You really have to be a screw up to get a bad tip from me anywhere. So $4-$5 sounds about right.
I had a friend who was dared to answer the door in her underwear. Lucky guy, she was hot! Would that be factored in to the tip?

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
I had a friend who was dared to answer the door in her underwear. Lucky guy, she was hot! Would that be factored in to the tip?

Yes, she get's extra sausage...no charge.

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM

Frosty
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
LOL, too funny.

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
better hope she's a fan of the meat lovers...

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
better hope she's a fan of the meat lovers...

Good point, free substitution of Zucchini for vegetarians.

Clovis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I delivered pizza for a few years while I was in school. As a rule of thumb, the nicer the house (upscale neighborhood) and the nicer the cars parked out front (BMWs, Lexus, ect) the smaller the tips. I hated delivering to the Rock Rimmon area because with the Woodman/I25 traffic it took forever to get there and they were consistantly the worse tippers if they even tipped at all. Typical "wealthy" customer tip was around $1-2

Middle of the road people tipped $3-4, apartment dwellers typically tipped the best.

Heh, I still remember these and hated delivering to the air force cadets - they would order a "cadet special" which was a medium pizza and 2 cans of soda for $6.96 with tax - they usually paid with a check or cash paying $7.00 and actually said "keep the change" - this, after driving 45 miles round trip for 1 delivery.

Luckfully that was usually only once a night and occasionally you would get group of multiple orders so you didn't have the jerk offs ordering just cheese bread or $5 wings.

I did remember my regulars and kept a log of the name, house address and tip recieved - if they were a no tipper or low tipper I marked them down to take my time, fill up the tank or deliver them last if I was deliverying to multiple houses.

Good tippers always got priority!

-Clov

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
^^Everyone please tip Clovis as he already owes the court system one arm and is hoping to be able to afford the leg they're requesting too. :D

pilot
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
"She ordered pizza, again."

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/tickermaster/loadimage.cfm?image=waiting.jpg

"A little somethin hanging from your nose, there."

TurboGizzmo
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Tipping is based on the time it takes to get to me since I am only a few blocks from both PapaJohns and BlackJack....normally I just go pick it up which is faster and cheaper ;)

I wish i could tip on the previous order because by the time i get it all inside and find out they messed something up they are long gone....

modette99
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM

puckstr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Tipping is based on the time it takes to get to me since I am only a few blocks from both PapaJohns and BlackJack....normally I just go pick it up which is faster and cheaper ;)

I wish i could tip on the previous order because by the time i get it all inside and find out they messed something up they are long gone....

Blackjack Carry out special FTW
Large one topping $5.99 + tax

DanFZ1
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
bogus joke orders (pizza for I.C. Weiner),

So you must have never got my phone call requesting that Michael Hunt be paged over the intercom system?

TurboGizzmo
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Blackjack Carry out special FTW
Large one topping $5.99 + tax

They were crap pizza when i was in highschool but currently the one right down the road rivals Papa Johns in taste and blows them away in price...damn this pizza talk I am hungry!

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Look at all the Two-Buck-Chucks we have on here.
You guys are the sux! Sneeze pies for all of you!:alien:

So you must have never got my phone call requesting that Michael Hunt be paged over the intercom system?:)

LOL,
No, but I'm still pissed about the time you made me ask everyone at the bar to help me find Amanda Hugenkiss.:banghead:

salsashark
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Look at all the Two-Buck-Chucks we have on here.
You guys are the sux! Sneeze pies for all of you!:alien:

I think it depends on the order... $10 dolla pie X 20% = 2 bucks...

Now if I ask a delivery person to roll out in a blizzard you bet they're getting more. I gave one delivery guy a 6pack of Guinness cause he looked like he was having a bad night.

...and thanks to this thread, I see some garlic & chicken papa murphy's in my future!

puckstr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
They were crap pizza when i was in highschool but currently the one right down the road rivals Papa Johns in taste and blows them away in price...damn this pizza talk I am hungry!

Depends who is throwing the pie.

For ourselves...We would stretch a medium dough to large (makes a damn good thin) and replace the red sauce with olive oil and add Italian spices (waiting for a Jeff comment here)....
The extra sausage and extra cheese.

The pizzas are only as good as the people making it.

modette99
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
Yep, because I brought it up I think I will go get a Papa Murphy's Family Size...with $3 off coupon your spending $12-$13 I think...not bad at all.

Think
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Generally tip at least $4. At restaurants, unless the waiter/waitress is a dipshit, I tip 20%.