PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it, Dana (read: That was a cold ride in this morning!)

Spiderman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
(read: I need to get warmer gloves & boots!)

It was about 31 degrees when I left the house at 6:25... :cold: I think that was the coldest temperature I've ever ridden in. Thermometer read 34 when I got in to Boulder. Toes are still ice cubes.

dm_gsxr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
I had no problem heading up to Longmont this morning. Fairly warm all the way.

Gerbings jacket liner and heated grips. My thumbs were a tad nippy but I didn't plug the Gerbings gloves in yet. It's not cold enough :D

Harley Storm boots (waterproof) and some thick socks for the toes. And so far, 3* is the coldest I've ridden in on the Harley riding to IBM Boulder a couple of years back.

Carl

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I drove in this morning :) Wife is taking today off so I had the heated seats, radio, coffee.......Don't be jealousy.

Actually, I found that having warm hands is the biggest thing when riding in the cold. Next is the face. Outside that you can ride for some time while being a little chilly.

My feet never really get too cold. I have some good combat boots and regular socks.

Spiderman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
IGerbings jacket liner and heated grips. My thumbs were a tad nippy but I didn't plug the Gerbings gloves in yet. It's not cold enough :D :321: to you and your heated jacket, Carl! :lol:
No such luxury here (just heated grips) - wearing a fleece vest under my jacket... my arms were a bit cold, so I'm thinking I should "upgrade" to a fleece jacket.

3* :shock: Holy Crap! :bow:

I drove in this morning :) Wife is taking today off so I had the heated seats, radio, coffee.......Don't be jealousy.Oh I am all jealousy & hatred on you right now! :lol:

Actually, I found that having warm hands is the biggest thing when riding in the cold. Next is the face. Outside that you can ride for some time while being a little chilly.Very true. 8)

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
If you have a warm heart, it's no problem riding in cold weather.

So yeah..... 55 degrees is about my limit.

Dana and Carl on their last ride together:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_G0fTLtIOva0/R5WGumGcKVI/AAAAAAAAAB0/Jlzk_Jpmq3M/s400/dumb+and+dumber+frozen.jpg

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Just a quick note, I was driving :)

dm_gsxr
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Right back at 'cha

http://schelin.org/20080416/dscn9775x600.jpg

:p

Spiderman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Just a quick note, I was driving :)
:think: I'm not so sure that's a good thing! :lol:

Right back at 'cha

http://schelin.org/20080416/dscn9775x600.jpg

:p
Nice! :up:

rforsythe
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I've done single digits without any heated gear, but sure didn't enjoy it.

Heated stuff will be ordered soon I think.

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have been out there at -19 with just my winter gear, no heated stuff. It is ok for 30 minutes or so but longer than that and it would be teh sux. I will be getting heated grips and possibly a vest shortly. Right now I am looking for a good set up short spiked crampons for my boots for when it gets slippery out there. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for something that will not interfere with my boots on the pegs but will let me plant my feet in the slick crap.

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
....Right now I am looking for a good set up short spiked crampons for my boots for when it gets slippery out there. Anyone have any suggestions?...

Surplus Store on Broadway and Hampden has them I think.
(Hey, does Astar make snowshoes?)

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Surplus Store on Broadway and Hampden has them I think.
(Hey, does Astar make snowshoes?)

Man, totally forgot. I will swing by on Saturday and scope them out.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
You guyz r nutz. :D

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
You ride today Jeff? You have the gear for it :)

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Man, totally forgot. I will swing by on Saturday and scope them out.

If the spike part is a little too aggressive you can always gind em down a bit.
But I think there's also a cable type one designed for hiking and working on packed snow, as opposed to the mountain climbing ones with 2" spikes.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
You ride today Jeff? You have the gear for it :)

No. Warm RTD. I know SpiderBob has a pass too. So he can talk to the hand when it gets cold out there.

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of the cable type. If it gets really bad I should not be riding anyway.

Now, I am gonna run home and get the bike. You hitting the Toad after work? I will have Sweetie Pie bring your stuff :)

Spiderman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
No. Warm RTD. I know SpiderBob has a pass too. So he can talk to the hand when it gets cold out there.
A pass for what... RTD? I don't have that Buff card, if that's what you're talking about. :dunno:

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, You hitting the Toad after work? I will have Sweetie Pie bring your stuff :)

I can if you guys were already planning to.
Don't come down just on my account....I like not having a cell phone.:)

TFOGGuys
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
RTD = Reason To Drive.... 91 minutes plus a mile walk to get from my house to the shop... I'd rather ride in 10* weather....

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
A pass for what... RTD? I don't have that Buff card, if that's what you're talking about. :dunno:

All CU Employees get a RTD pass.

Devaclis
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
I can if you guys were already planning to.
Don't come down just on my account....I like not having a cell phone.:)

ok, we are going to Alibis then :) If ya wanna swing by we will have yo stuff !!

Sortarican
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
ok, we are going to Alibis then :) If ya wanna swing by we will have yo stuff !!

Mmmmmmm wings and fireball. I'll probably swing by.

chad23
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
I have these for icefishing
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202628_999035017_100000000_999034023_100-16-7

fook
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
man you've got issues Carl.

I think coldest i've ridden in was leaving the IBM Boulder campus one night around 1am after getting stuck at work much longer than I wanted to and having to go back to Golden on 93.. it was around 10-11* to be sure and by the time I got home I couldn't feel the front half of my legs. pretty sure it was not the smartest thing ive ever done.

no heated gear today but I'm also riding a R12RT so I got more fairing to hide behind... I usually make a trip down to the data center after getting in and stand behind one of our netapp racks for a few min to warm up :D

Joe
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
My Tricks:
- HJC Snowmobile gloves = fan-tastic.
- A WINDPROOF Fleece is expensive but worth every penny.
- In a pinch, I put my hooded-sweatshirt on backwards (under riding jacket), and shove the hood up by my chin. Works well.
- Fleece Balaclava with spandex hood so it fits under a helmet.
- Safety glasses for when the visor freezes up
- Cheap snorkel tucked into jacket for warm air and to prevent visor from fogging/freezing

Anything that says snowmobile on it is going to be warm/dry/windproof. HJC even has heated visors; they aren't "DOT approved" but neither is riding with a layer of ice on your visor.

I hate when it takes longer to get dressed/undressed than it does to ride the 35 miles to work. But its fun to see the expressions on the coworkers.

FZRguy
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
My hands are the biggest deal for me. I use hand warmers for anything under 35. The rest of my body can just deal with it for an hour. 19 and snowing is my record, and I had so much gear on that I’ve been colder at 30.

Devaclis
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah, so my snowmobile gloves are torn along hte index finger. The only part that was cold this morning. Logging into www.dennikirk.com now for replacements :)

Spiderman
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
I hate when it takes longer to get dressed/undressed than it does to ride the 35 miles to work.
Aint that the truth! :lol:

Snowman
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Anyone use that heated gear?

Spiderman
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Dysco still takes the cake, IMHO:

:bow:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/photoweek/20030324.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Anyone use that heated gear?

Heated vest = good
Heated chaps - (under the leathers) = good
Heated grips = great!

Any colder than that I drive the 4-Runner :cold:

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Ok, time for me to unleash the heated gloves.....

dm_gsxr
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Yea, I need to chase down the cable. This morning it was a little chilly. I did run without plugging in the jacket though. It wasn't that cold :)

Carl

Joe
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Dysco still takes the cake, IMHO:

:bow:

ALL HAIL DYSCO!! That is an awesome picture.
My wife won't come out in the snow to take any pictures of me.
She either hates the cold or doesn't want to encourage my stupid ideas.

apehair
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I haven't heard you guys mention underwear.

A nice sequined thong will .... wait ... we're talking about cold weather gear, right? Shit. Sorry. A nice pair of UnderArmour ColdGear top and bottoms will work wonders in cold weather. Get the ones that squeeze you real tight. Feels good even when you're not doing anything.

I ride without a fairing so I usually take my Gerbing heated gear with me, but I don't hook up until it gets down near 30 on account of the UnderArmour. Of course, a lot depends on whether the sun is out.

Another really good item is a windproof, waterproof balaclava. Especially if you ride with a 3/4 helmet. (I do.) I love the Schampa Balaclava sold by these guys: http://www.coolbikerstuff.com/schampa/balaclavas.php

ape

dm_gsxr
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I have the guy in your avatar but without the apehangers :)

Carl

merlin
Sat Dec 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I cheat, personally.... Just picked up an '82 Goldwing... I rode a couple weeks ago at 18 in my medium gloves and jacket. Comfy!

I wanted to ride yesterday (-2 on my porch when I left for work) but the roads were iced a bit here and there, and the GeezerWing is warm, but it doesn't handle low traction all that well (10 year old tires)

I am kinda looking forward to a REALLY cold morning when the roads are dry- I got a big curious about how it'll handle serious cold.

Coldest I've ridden the Buell was about 7 or 8 degrees about this time last year... Stage 3 hypothermia is NOT your friend.

Wonder if I could find some dual sport tires in the right sizes for the 'Wing?

Merlyn

apehair
Sun Dec 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I have the guy in your avatar but without the apehangers :)

No kidding? What's he riding?

I don't even remember where I got him. But he is one of my family's finest sculptures. Lends my estate an air of casual sophistication and aristocratic ease, I think. Even the servants like him. :-)

ape