PDA

View Full Version : Police using new camera cars

macktastic brake grabber
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't know if anyone here have seen this yet.
The Littleton and Aurora police depts. have new technology that employs a squad car- suv's that are equipped with cameras that scan oncoming as well as stationary vehicles and the traffic in front of the squad car. The cameras take a picture of the license plate and then run it through a data base that is mounted in the vehicle and downloaded daily with info on colorado vehicles that have out of date registration, owners that are under suspension, operators that are uninsured, etc. etc. They can scan a car as it drives by or as it passes a parked car on the street or on private property, as you are at the gas pump, etc. Just about any scenario. If anything comes up as a "hit" an alarm goes off and the system shows a picture of the car and plate # on the laptop screen and the officer pulls the vehicle over.
My brother and I were getting gas at the Sinclair station on Santa Fe just south of 470 when a suv with a "Thule" rack on top pulled up to the pump behind us. It looked like any other soccer mom suv. The Thule rack had the front cut out and had cameras mounted inside, behind a plate of glass. The officer was in plain clothes and we thought it was odd that he sat there for a couple of moments and then drove off without buying gas. The staion attendant came out a couple of minutes later and told us that it was "Five-o" and what he was doing. Sure as hell as we were leaving, he had a car pulled over with the aid of a marked car. Since then I noticed an unmarked car in Aurora, a maroon ford cruiser, with small cameras mounted all over the car, pointing at all different angles. The other day I asked an Aurora officer if this was what was going on and he told me that it was true.
The Canadians have been using this tech. for a couple of years and now it is here.
All I can say is be sure and pay your tickets and keep your license, insurance current.
Btw, the gas station clerk told me that the one in Littleton spends every nite cruising the gas stations on Santa Fe, going from station to station scaning plates. If he gets a hit, he just pulls around the corner and waits for the person to leave and then pulls them over on public property.
Big Brother is lurking everywhere!
I don't know if any other City's are using this system yet, but you can bet they will all have one soon. :scream1:
Mack

chad23
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
if it's what I think your talking about, I saw one in Ft Collins

macktastic brake grabber
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
A friend of mine that quit the Aurora police dept. sent me an email months ago with an atached video of an officer using the system in British Columbia. It stated that the system would be put to use in the U.S. within a year.
In the video he bust a car that was stolen and used in an armed robbery the previous day.
I will see if I can find the video and post a link. The first thought that came to mind was that I wished I had written the software. Someone is getting rich as hell.
mack

schwagman
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Oh man that sucks

rforsythe
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Wondered if they would do something like that here.

The technology has existed for a considerable amount of time in separate pieces, it just took some bright minds to put it together. I suspect it's only a matter of time before traffic cameras are used to discretely scan license plates behind the scenes as well, assuming it isn't done already (I believe it may be in the UK). Looking for some vehicle? Just tell the system to alert you when a stationary cam sees it go by. This also allows for interesting profiling of average citizens. Combine with facial recognition technology, and you have a pretty complete system to track where people go within an urban environment. It's about as close as you can get to implanting chips in peoples' heads.

There is very little data that isn't known and stored about you anymore...

Igor
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Not to get off topic, but what about all the "Street View" stuff on Google Maps now? I haven't really researched that much, but here in Pueblo, you can look around just about any street you want using street view.

It has to be done using cars with cameras mounted all over them just driving down the street (although I have never noticed any).

You see people walking, in their cars, etc. They have to be using the facial recognition technology because you cannot make out faces. You also cannot make out license plates. Images are not blurred in any obvious manner, it seems like the camera just fails to record certain details.

Dont get me wrong, Google is cool, but it is a little frightening when you think about the sheer volume of information that is readily accessible.

asp_125
Wed Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Just for grins I looked up my house on street view last year and there I was, getting on my bike in the driveway. Google will remove your picture if you email them. I read somewhere the average person is captured on cameras a dozen times a day. Think about all the cameras in offices, stores, banks, gas stations etc.

daemon
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Just for grins I looked up my house on street view last year and there I was,
did that this morning.
mostly hidden is my house,but i can plainly see that my garage door was open.....who the hell is spying on me???

EDIT***swung in a little closer and the door was closed,but who parked tha POS chevy in my driveway???

DavidofColorado
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
It won't be long before robots are taking police jobs.

Captain Obvious
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM

Ahhh, welcome to 15 years ago, but they are already.

Squisha
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
One MIGHT say that it could help reduce racial profiling...or at least the appearance of it. If a cop sees a carload of homeys, and the system shows it's clean, he's got less reason to pull them over, whereas without such a system, a cop has to "decide" whether to pull them over in order to do the checks that the system apparently does automatically. That said, I don't have to be doing anything wrong to be uncomfortable with someone looking over my shoulder. Its bad enough just to be caught on camera with my finger up my nose. People tend to jump to conclusions!

asp_125
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Double edged sword too. If my car or bike got jacked I want them to find it asap. Or for amber alerts. Still, makes me uneasy that I'm being watched. Better get my tin foil hat ready.

Captain Obvious
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
You have to wonder about fruit of a poisonous tree.

In most states (don't know about CO), the registered owner of a vehicle having a suspended license is not a primary offense. Meaning, just by a DB search, the officer doesn't know the driver and the owner are the same person prior to a traffic stop. So if a traffic stop is made based only on the owner being wanted, suspended DL, whatever and the driver is found to be a different person who just left a crime scene, will any evidence be admissible? Normally, if the reason for a traffic stop is not a valid, primary offense, any evidence found after an invalid stop has to be ignored.

Seems that unless CO has some form of waiver of rights when you get a license or register your vehicle, it could cause issues. I am sure they have thought about it, but sometimes the results have to be tested in court to undo practices that should never be in place to begin with.

Captain Obvious
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
One MIGHT say that it could help reduce racial profiling...or at least the appearance of it.

Doubt it. "Racial profiling" goes in all directions, some good, some bad. Old Caddie full of black dudes in Compton. Not noteworthy. Carload of black dudes driving through a golf course in Beverly Hills. White guy in a car at the golf course in Beverly Hills vs same guy/same car in Compton.

Based on the race of the occupants and the location, some situations seem more suspect that others.

Takes a person, not a robot's program, to make decisions in many circumstances. Experience and the fuzzy hairs on the back of your neck have no substitute.

asp_125
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM

http://72.190.96.105/images/Irobot.jpg

Captain Obvious
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
http://72.190.96.105/images/Irobot.jpg

Yeah, I thought of Robert Heinlein too.

puckstr
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Facial recognition, Or sub-dermal Personal Data Tags is/are next

anyway I
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/Blazer1988/BlameCanada.jpg

macktastic brake grabber
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I dont have any warrants or outstanding tickets or anything else. i try to stay as clean as possible because i have commercial business interest and licenses at stake. But I did take offense to this huy pulling up on private property#1 and scanning me and my homie as we were just shootin the breeze.
The attendant told me that the station manager has spoke with the officer and told him he was not allowed to do his scans on that lot due to it being private property. He said the officer has ignored anything said to him and just keeps scanning every night.
Mack

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Much as I hate big brother, this is no different from a cop doing it manually. It's simply faster. There is no more invasion of the illusion of privacy in public because the camera sees only what the cop can see. And, I've sen studies where the streetcorner cams are very effective in stopping crime.

asp_125
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
It would be funny if they scan me throwing the shocker at the camera.

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
I see your point Frank, but that goes along the lines of DUI checkpoints at every corner, security screens on the light rails, and background checks with metal detectors and drug tests at every concert. These are all things that they're trying to do anyway and a more efficient technology just makes them able to do it to everyone. Does it make it more tollerable? Not a bit.

I would suspect that the camera's only there to give an officer grounds to pull you over and investigate a little bit. I can't believe that (except in the cases of stolen vehicles & expired tags) that the owner could face any repercussions for the car being caught on camera. This is similar to red light cams sending you a fine but having it end up as a no-points ticket. They can prove the car, but they can't prove you were driving it

Mother Goose
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oh man that sucks
Exactly how does this suck? Unless you are one of those people that are uninsured, have a suspended license, or steal tags from other cars. :shock: I think it's great to try and get those people off the roads.

Sortarican
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Oh Yeah Baby
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/marvinthemartian10/FUTURAMA/url2.gif

...I suspect it's only a matter of time before traffic cameras are used to discretely scan license plates ... (I believe it may be in the UK)....

Yup,
The Brits pioneered using street corner cameras back in the old IRA terrorist days. With the improvements in recognition software and processing speeds it's been expanded to issuing tickets for every kind of mundane offense.

Exactly how does this suck?....

Well for one they don't use them to send renegade indians back to the reservation.

Snowman
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
I say we get everyone the same Halloween mask and wear them whenever we leave the house.

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Exactly how does this suck? Unless you are one of those people that are uninsured, have a suspended license, or steal tags from other cars.

Well you've now taken away almost all four food groups, what else is there?

BeoBe
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
LAPD has had these for quite some time now.. ill see if i can find the youtube link.. its pretty cool.. If you watch Police Tech you see even cooler shit

BeoBe
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
heres one

the LAPD one is better cause the cop catches himself speeding lol with no seatbelt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGY1CD9y_4

sure makes the job alot easier.. and also it stores the cars it scans for future issues if a report is filed for a stolen vehicle etc on that car which will give the last known scanned location via GPS.. pretty sweet.

But they are also in the makings of a machine that goes on top of the squad car that when in high speed pursuits it will shoot a high freq electrical charge at the car in the pursuit frying all the electrical computers in the car shutting it down on impact. Its pretty cool and it only harms the cars ECU which just needs to be replaced..

To me, i think its gonna take the fun out of high speed pursuits and take away that great rush.

Ghost
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
It's about as close as you can get to implanting chips in peoples' heads.

Too late, old news...you probably already have McD's chips in your system from the last burger you ate.

Insurers Study Implanting RFID Chips in Patients

A New Jersey hospital and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield are recruiting volunteers to have an RFID device implanted under their skin that can be used to monitor medical and family contact information.

Hackensack University Medical Center and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey are recruiting volunteers to have an RFID device implanted under the skin.

The chips, made by VeriChip Corporation, will contain a 16-digit identifying number that can be used to bring up medical and family contact information stored electronically in a database.

The chips will be tested in patients with chronic conditions who are more likely to need care in hospital emergency rooms.

In the two-year trial, the insurance company will pay about $200 for the chips to be implanted, plus $80 a month for a subscription fee, according to reports in the RFID Journal.

Horizon will then assess whether the devices lower health care costs by reducing duplicate lab tests, drug interactions or misdiagnoses.

Horizon will invite patients with conditions like diabetes and heart disease to participate and hopes to enroll about 300 volunteers.

Though non-implanted devices, like bracelets or dog tags, could also provide the identifying numbers, chip proponents said that the implanted tags are less likely to be removed or damaged and that scanning for implants will take less time than looking for other means of identification.

Earlier this year, four hospitals in Puerto Rico announced plans to implant chips in patients with Alzheimers Disease and other memory problems.

VeriChip has given several New Jersey hospitals—Beth Israel, Clara Maass, Columbus, Hackensack, Kimball, Newark, Ocean and PBI Regional—equipment to read the chips and access the companys database.

Across the country, about 100 hospitals have the appropriate scanning equipment, according to VeriChip.

The chip, about the size of a grain of rice, was approved by the FDA as a medical device in 2004.

But critics, including the authors of SpyChips, argue against the technology, citing everything from loss of privacy to signs of the apocalypse.

Once implanted, people cannot control who reads the identifying number from the chip, and critics worry the chips could be used to track peoples movements and behavior.

Click here to read about how RFID adoption has stalled in the pharmaceutical industry.

That ability is limited, however, because the chips can only be read from a distance of a few centimeters.

However, VeriChip itself has said that the chips could be used to control access to secure areas. And news reports state that the Department of Homeland Security has considered using the chips to track people.

According to the New Jersey study, patients will be able to approve information that is stored in the database that medical workers would access using the chip.

Critics also argue against the chips on technical grounds, saying that they could be useless if computers crash, too many radio signals confuse readers, and even that the chips are vulnerable to viruses.

However, some health IT advocates have come out strongly in favor of the chips. CIO of Harvard Medical School John Halamka had one implanted last year.

Check out eWEEK.coms for the latest news, views and analysis of technologys impact on health care.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 21, 2006

HOMELAND SECURITY RFI HEIGHTENS PUBLIC CONCERNS OVER RFID
DHS Wants to Track Spychips in Moving Cars Going 55 MPH

"Call it Big Brother on steroids," say privacy advocates Katherine Albrecht and Liz McIntyre, co-authors of "Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID." The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is looking for beefed up RFID technology that can read government-issued documents from up to 25 feet away, pinpoint pedestrians on street corners, and glean the identity of people whizzing by in cars at 55 miles per hour.

Radio Frequency IDentification (RFID) is a controversial technology that uses tiny microchips to track items from a distance. These RFID microchips have earned the nickname "spychips" because each contains a unique identification number, like a Social Security number for things, that can be read silently and invisibly by radio waves. Privacy and civil liberties advocates are opposed to the use of the technology on consumer items and government documents because it can be used to track people without their knowledge or consent.

Albrecht and McIntyre have uncovered a Request for Information (RFI) issued by the Department of Homeland Security that underscores these privacy and civil liberties concerns. DHS seeks "superior remote data capture" that "offers significant improvements in performance" over the RFID technology currently being trialed in its U.S. Visit program border security initiatives. The RFI indicates this more potent tracking technology might be used in other initiatives and by other federal agencies.

"While the RFI is directed at border security, we're very concerned the government will use this tracking technology in our driver's licenses," said McIntyre, who is already opposed to the implications of the Real ID Act that passed last spring. That Act gives DHS the power to set uniform national driver's license standards. "Already the Real ID Act creates a de facto national ID since all Americans need a driver's license to participate in modern society," she observed. "Imagine having a remotely readable national ID that can be scanned by the
government as you drive by or walk down the street."

A copy of the RFI is posted at authors' website: www.spychips.com/DHS-RFID.pdf (http://www.spychips.com/DHS-RFID.pdf)

DHS is seeking RFID devices that "can be sensed remotely, passively, and automatically....The device must be readable under all kinds of indoor and outdoor conditions... and while carried by pedestrians or vehicle occupant."

DHS has set "several high-level goals" for the reading of RFID "tokens" carried by travelers, including:

- The solution must...identify the exact location of the read such as a specific pedestrian or
vehicle lane in which the token is read.

- The solution presented must sense the remote data capture technology carried by a pedestrian traveler at distances up to 25 ft.

- The solution presented must sense all tokens carried by travelers seated in a single automobile, truck, or bus at
a distance up to 25 ft. while moving at speeds up to 55

mph.

- For bus traffic, the solution must sense up to 55 tokens.

- For a successful read, the traveler should not have to hold or present the token in any special way to enable the reading of the token's information. The goal is for the reader to sense a token carried on a traveler's person or anywhere in a vehicle.

=========================================

puckstr
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Tag and release

BeoBe
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I think as far as the chip goes if it does in fact keep track of medical conditions such as Blood pressure, heart rate etc.. I think it would be a fantastic tool to keep the elderly people out of rest homes and in good care without having to have a live in nurse.. I honestly think this would be a cool thing for my grandma to have.

I mean is it really much more different then the "Help im falling and i cant get up" beeper?? nope just more improved and will give a better response time to paramedics and will let the elderly sleep in peace.. This is in fact if everything goes as it should.

As for putting it in younger people or whatever with no health conditions i think that is wrong, cause it could simply alert police to a simple argument with your wife or girlfriend.

Anyways back on the cop stuff, down in the ghetto of LA they also have these things placed at *untold* locations that when a gun shot is detected going off, these radars can pin point the location of the shooting down to a 10 yard radius.. The reason this was placed is cause the location being said the people got so use to hearing gun shots that they stopped calling 911 which was resulting in alot more deaths..

Again, watch police tech its a great thing

DavidofColorado
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Exactly how does this suck? Unless you are one of those people that are uninsured, have a suspended license, or steal tags from other cars. :shock: I think it's great to try and get those people off the roads.Exactly all of it.:crazy:

Snowman
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
So at what point would any of you conceder this tech pushing the big brother fear?

Anyone want those cameras reading license plates at every major corner?
GPS chips so you can be found whenever it’s necessary?

Technology in and of itself is neither good nor evil, it’s why it is being employed that would determined that.

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM
So at what point would any of you conceder this tech pushing the big brother fear?

Anyone want those cameras reading license plates at every major corner?
GPS chips so you can be found whenever it’s necessary?

Technology in and of itself is neither good nor evil, it’s why it is being employed that would determined that.

I think its just a passive big brother instead of a cop on every corner its got the revenuer's there in case you run a yellow light they can just take a picture and mail you a bill for it.

If you think that GPS chips aren't already everywhere you missed the little law that Clinton passed that made GPS required in all new cell phones. You are paying for it. I have called 911 from my cell before and it just went apeshit with GPS stuff. Some phones GPS is a feature to know where you are at all times.

rforsythe
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Phones have had GPS for a while; you can also shut yours off. Now, that doesn't mean there isn't a backdoor in the software that lets the cell company track you under subpoena, but they can just triangulate your position anyway. Unsure how accurate triangulation is? The 1st-gen iPhones use it to give you turn by turn directions on a map. That tech has been around since the 80's, that we know of.

Bottom line is you are already, today, tracked and recorded without your knowledge or consent. "Big Brother" is just letting you know more about the stuff they've been doing for a while, so you worry less about the stuff they're coming out with next. Not paranoia, just reality in a rapidly advancing technological world.

As for the RFID tag thing, at the moment you don't have them implanted (though the idea has been discussed repeatedly). That said, it's not extremely difficult to read tags, and I guarantee you the technology to read whatever's in your pocket now while you walk by undetected has been in testing for a while. With the right low-cost equipment, even off the shelf RFID tags like your badges for work (HID cards) can be read from a considerable distance.

Not sure there's any remedy except to wrap your wallet in tin foil and wear a halloween mask year-round.

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I found a RFID tag in the lining of my coat. I was reading the care instructions and noticed the tag was to stiff. I opened it up and there it was right in the lining. I tore it off and put it in the trash. So much for that tag.

tripledigits
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
It is a social imperative that we give up our individual rights for the greater good of the collective......

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
It is a social imperative that we give up our individual rights for the greater good of the collective......
:slap::blowup:
Some that are in power may agree with you on that. But for those of us that can wipe our own asses I disagree.

Mother Goose
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Well for one they don't use them to send renegade indians back to the reservation.
Damn! They should fix that. :bigeyes:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
If you think that GPS chips aren't already everywhere you missed the little law that Clinton passed that made GPS required in all new cell phones.
Why doesn't that surprise me?

Cars-R-Coffins
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I found a RFID tag in the lining of my coat. I was reading the care instructions and noticed the tag was to stiff. I opened it up and there it was right in the lining. I tore it off and put it in the trash. So much for that tag.

What kind of coats are you buying?!

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029_3-6140191.html

DavidofColorado
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM
What kind of coats are you buying?!

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1029_3-6140191.html
And Old Navy pea coat (spelling).

madvlad
Fri Oct 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I work at GrandPrix Motorports and I see people being pulled over ALL DAY by that same blue TrailBlazer with that canoe rack on top.... the law is getting gnarly!

DavidofColorado
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Next time spread the word around to all the people there.

van-man82
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I don't know if anyone here have seen this yet.
The Littleton and Aurora police depts. have new technology that employs a squad car- suv's that are equipped with cameras that scan oncoming as well as stationary vehicles and the traffic in front of the squad car. The cameras take a picture of the license plate and then run it through a data base that is mounted in the vehicle and downloaded daily with info on colorado vehicles that have out of date registration, owners that are under suspension, operators that are uninsured, etc. etc. They can scan a car as it drives by or as it passes a parked car on the street or on private property, as you are at the gas pump, etc. Just about any scenario. If anything comes up as a "hit" an alarm goes off and the system shows a picture of the car and plate # on the laptop screen and the officer pulls the vehicle over.
My brother and I were getting gas at the Sinclair station on Santa Fe just south of 470 when a suv with a "Thule" rack on top pulled up to the pump behind us. It looked like any other soccer mom suv. The Thule rack had the front cut out and had cameras mounted inside, behind a plate of glass. The officer was in plain clothes and we thought it was odd that he sat there for a couple of moments and then drove off without buying gas. The staion attendant came out a couple of minutes later and told us that it was "Five-o" and what he was doing. Sure as hell as we were leaving, he had a car pulled over with the aid of a marked car. Since then I noticed an unmarked car in Aurora, a maroon ford cruiser, with small cameras mounted all over the car, pointing at all different angles. The other day I asked an Aurora officer if this was what was going on and he told me that it was true.
The Canadians have been using this tech. for a couple of years and now it is here.
All I can say is be sure and pay your tickets and keep your license, insurance current.
Btw, the gas station clerk told me that the one in Littleton spends every nite cruising the gas stations on Santa Fe, going from station to station scaning plates. If he gets a hit, he just pulls around the corner and waits for the person to leave and then pulls them over on public property.
Big Brother is lurking everywhere!
I don't know if any other City's are using this system yet, but you can bet they will all have one soon. :scream1:
Mack

Awe man, that does suck... I wonder now how long it will be before someone builds a device that scramble's there signals... Thanks for the tip though Mack..

DARK ANGEL
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
i saw this on a show about a year ago, and it was nice to see. i for one am all for this system if only it is to be used to identify individuals that are driving illegally for whatever reason. I really would hate to be hit by someone that isnt registered insured or something to that effect. If it is put to good use nd not abused as a revenue tool and get the trash off the streets than i am for it.

I dont have to worry bout the system as i am fully insured and registered/legal.

If your not get off the road.

OldKneeDragger
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Facial recognition, Or sub-dermal Personal Data Tags is/are next

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_recognition_system

Imagine a camera at a large gathering of people, say on the scale of a major NFL game that could quickly scan EVERYBODY, correctly identify, and point out all the people that were in a database.

Maybe a database of criminals..

Maybe a database of people who bought certain food at the grocery store so the concession stand could offer the right foods.

Either way, the days of being able to roam around in this world with any animosity are gone. It has been stated that our own government has a project underway to be able to find any person at any time. Which is an easy task for most people with simple commercial methods... where did you use your credit card last, you grocery discount card, your cell phone, your computer, etc.

Just wait till they can do facial recognition from a satellite (if they can't already).

So now you know why bin Laden is hiding out in a cave in some third world country.

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 04:16 AM
So now you know why bin Laden is hiding out in a cave in some third world country.

Interesting thought. Saddam hid in a similar fashion.

macktastic brake grabber
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 01:46 AM
just checked in. seems i stirred up a nest! here is my objection. they are using cameras and scanning me and I have done nothing wrong. they are doing it on private property. private property is just that, private.

they are using it alot to bust mexican nationals that "big brother" had no problem letting in the country when they wanted to upset the balance of middle class labor. now that they are no longer needed due to new construction starts falling off, they are sending them back in mass numbers. these camera cars have been a big piece of that puzzle.
last wed. they had one set up on east colfax near peoria. they had about 20 squad cars lining the median and curbs. they were pulling over any car that popped up with any issue. one person I know was pulled over and harassed because the car they were driving was registered to a driver that was under suspension. the driver was legal, although the owner was not. she had to put up with a bunch of b.s.
i am all for getting drunks off the road and unisured motorist and etc. but where is taking it too far???
everyone here knows the dui laws are not set up to stop drunk drivers. they are set up so the law can bust anyone who has had anything to drink.
dui laws have been set at levels to generate revenue and feed the machine. it is no longer just about getting drunks off the road.
I know many of you club members that have had a "couple" and then ridden home. I certainly didnt consider you drunk, but the law man would have.
pretty soon they will have a camera that can detect alcohol vapors?
I mean what to hell comes next?
Mack

DavidofColorado
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
We need a revolution.

rforsythe
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 12:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_recognition_system

Imagine a camera at a large gathering of people, say on the scale of a major NFL game that could quickly scan EVERYBODY, correctly identify, and point out all the people that were in a database.

Maybe a database of criminals..

Maybe a database of people who bought certain food at the grocery store so the concession stand could offer the right foods.

Maybe a database of people who speak out in opposition of their government's activities...

Either way, the days of being able to roam around in this world with any animosity are gone.

I'm not sure those days ever existed.

It has been stated that our own government has a project underway to be able to find any person at any time. Which is an easy task for most people with simple commercial methods... where did you use your credit card last, you grocery discount card, your cell phone, your computer, etc.

Tracking someone's electronic footprint isn't anything new.

You have to admit, it's been an effective strategy so far!

Igor
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Now I need to watch V for Vendetta.

That is the mask we all need to start wearing. Very appropriate for this topic. I would highly recommend that movie to anyone reading this thread. As if you haven't all seen it anyways.

Rmember: "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Captain Obvious
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM
I would highly recommend that movie to anyone reading this thread. As if you haven't all seen it anyways.

I never saw it. Just sort of fell through the cracks on the to watch list.

DavidofColorado
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Its a ridiculous Bush bashing movie that takes place in England. I call it one of the movies that started the whole thing that got the bad opinion of Bush started.

Igor
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM

It's a great movie. Definitely worth seeing once.

Snowman
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Now I need to watch V for Vendetta.

That is the mask we all need to start wearing. Very appropriate for this topic. I would highly recommend that movie to anyone reading this thread. As if you haven't all seen it anyways.

Rmember: "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v349/136/105/1031973908/n1031973908_30182590_3340.jpg

Igor
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v349/136/105/1031973908/n1031973908_30182590_3340.jpg

Thats what I'm talking about. Now people wearing that mask showing up on google street view might make an impression.

Or just make a lot of people laugh, point, and stare.

Snowman
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Masks : V For Vendetta Halloween Mask (http://www.anytimecostumes.com/ecommerce/control/category/~rootCategory_id=MASKS_ROOT/~category_id=16263)

rforsythe
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Its a ridiculous Bush bashing movie that takes place in England. I call it one of the movies that started the whole thing that got the bad opinion of Bush started.

Erhm, no. The Bush bashing started when he opened his mouth.

Snowman
Sat Nov 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Its a ridiculous Bush bashing movie that takes place in England. I call it one of the movies that started the whole thing that got the bad opinion of Bush started.Not everything in the world revolves around this country. That movie had nothing to with the US other than the passing references to a possible civil war in the stories background.

V for Vendetta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vendetta) was actually based on a comic that was written in the 80’s by a British writer Alan Moore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX3q3z9_S4g&feature=related). His inspiration was the Thatcher Administration. The screen play for the movie was originally written by the same people who wrote first Matrix before it was released in 1999.

So that raises a bigger question. Why are you seeing that movie as so offensive to your political views of the Bush Administration?

DavidofColorado
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Erhm, no. The Bush bashing started when he opened his mouth.
And pissed off the liberal media. I bet if he talked in varible absolutes like they are used to he would have never lost them. But its hard to do that with a straight face so you need a mask.

Igor
Sat Nov 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I saw one in Pueblo West on Friday morning at about 9:30:cussing:

It was a red dodge durango with no markings at all, except for all the flashing lights recessed into the front grille. 2 very small cameras mounted on the luggage racks on top. Now that I know what to look for, I'm carrying a camera and snapping off some pics next time...

He pulled over a blue cavalier heading eastbound on 50 at the light for McCulloch. A guy dressed in street clothes got out of the durango and and put on one of those police badge necklace things, then started walking toward the car.

If anyone was there, I was the guy in the silver Elantra honking my horn with that special finger out the window as I was going through the intersection. It would have been SO much better if I were on the bike.
:doublefinger:

303Lurch
Sat Nov 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
The UK loves this stuff. They now have a better speed camera system called SPECS3 (http://http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/25/2560.asp). It uses cameras on the road system to measure speed based on the distance over time between the cameras. Speeders use to be able to slow down for the speed camera. Now they must conform. This is the po-po tech that I hate. Red light and speed cameras...

Igor
Mon Nov 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
The Mythbusters proved that most plate blockers don't work, but I think I'm getting one...

I pay my tickets and keep everything current, but the camera stuff is really starting to rub me the wrong way.

BeoBe
Tue Nov 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I pay my tickets and keep everything current, but the camera stuff is really starting to rub me the wrong way.

If you haven't done anything wrong then its no bother to you, Its only to locate any BOLO or stolen vehicles... Its not gonna ding on your ass for an unpayed parking ticket, as a cop that would just flat out be annoying.

Its basically to drop down the loss of stolen vehicles etc. So dont steal a car, dont rob a bank, dont kill your wife and your good to go and this camera deal wont effect you in any way. :hump:

If you only knew some of the other stuff in use right now you would prolly freak.. but you dont... Thats the perks of doing stuff not known is nobody can care about what they dont know

D Berns R6
Tue Nov 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
If you only knew some of the other stuff in use right now you would prolly freak.. but you dont... Thats the perks of doing stuff not known is nobody can care about what they dont know

Like what?

DavidofColorado
Tue Nov 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about! Unless its their mistake in which case you are left to prove your innocence.

The camera cars are meant to catch people without insurance and is a clear violation of probable cause clause.