PDA

View Full Version : Yeah...it's about safety....right

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
So, I went to traffic court in Denver last night(a day earlier than I was scheduled) on my speeding ticket. Given the violation, it was a mandatory appearance. I'm in there with about 20 other people. Of that number 90% or better were there for no insurance and/or no license and/or driving under restraint. The magistrate (NOT judge) generally either dismissed their cases, or postponed them so that they could get their shit together, so that he did not have to send them to jail. He handed out a couple of $80 to $150 fines. THEN he calls me to the podium. I consent to have him hear the case. He offers a 2 point reduction. I accept. He NAILS me with a $291 fine! I guess I should have been less responsible, and spoken only spanish.......:banghead:

Slo
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Damn, you thinking twice about those CSC discounts?

Big-J
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I guess I should have been less responsible, and spoken only spanish.......:banghead:

:roll: :jerkoff:

Sully
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
What was the fine amount before ? That is such BS... Those other people should have already had their Sh*t together prior to appearing... wtf !!! :wtf: Seems like the people who are insured, have DL's, etc. are the ones getting nailed for the BS fines, etc.. Those without the above are given minor slaps on the wrist, if that... :rant:

Shea
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
It's about revenue generation for the state. Putting people in jail for not having insurance/DL's, etc. costs the state, while speeders are just a quick way to make cash...

Just be thankful your transgression wasn't in a "safety zone"...automatic double fine. As my $310 ticket was.

Slo
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
I should have taught you to speak Korean....wait, I don't know Korean myself, just the women and food!!!

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Damn, you thinking twice about those CSC discounts?

CSC discounts will continue as before, as will the withering sarcasm and free abuse....

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
It's about revenue generation for the state. Putting people in jail for not having insurance/DL's, etc. costs the state, while speeders are just a quick way to make cash...

Yep, that's exactly it. The people without licenses/insurance are probably broke and putting them in jail, dealing with them, etc costs money. People with all their shit together give them easy revenue. If they (the politicians who mandate all this, not the cops who have to carry it out) were really concerned about public safety, they'd be really going after these unlicensed/uninsured drivers. It's all about the money (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/245602.php).

Dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
So, I went to traffic court in Denver last night(a day earlier than I was scheduled) on my speeding ticket. Given the violation, it was a mandatory appearance. I'm in there with about 20 other people. Of that number 90% or better were there for no insurance and/or no license and/or driving under restraint. The magistrate (NOT judge) generally either dismissed their cases, or postponed them so that they could get their shit together, so that he did not have to send them to jail. He handed out a couple of $80 to $150 fines. THEN he calls me to the podium. I consent to have him hear the case. He offers a 2 point reduction. I accept. He NAILS me with a $291 fine! I guess I should have been less responsible, and spoken only spanish.......:banghead:
I went thru the same exact thing a couple years ago, and my experience was a carbon copy of yours. People who were unlicensed, uninsured (often at the time of causing an ACCIDENT), were indigent, and spoke no English, were turned loose with a slap on the wrist if that, while anyone who was responsible got slapped with a big fine. The thing I thought totally unfair was, the mag' said he'd drop a few points if I agreed to a plea.....but never gave me the price. Then when I said I'd take it, he hit me with a similar fine! If I'd known what the price was before I said yes, they coulda kept the friggin' points.:banghead::scream1:

PROFLYER
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Bastids!

~Barn~
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I guess I should have been less responsible, and spoken only spanish.......:banghead:

:lol:
Did you read your post? You barely speak English.

Mr. Turbo
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Got nailed for the same thing. Day after christmas on I-25. I make sure to go nice and slow through Denver now. :)

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM

Que? Yo no hablo Ingles! No tengo seguras! I can leave now, yes?:siesta:

King Nothing
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
:roll: :jerkoff:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/kingnothing03sv/police20car20with20lights.gif

woo woo! Here comes the PC police!

~Barn~
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Que? Yo no hablo Ingles! No tengo seguras! I can leave now, yes?:siesta:

:spit:

I take back everything I've ever said bad about you. In both languages!

~Barn~
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
woo woo! Here comes the PC police!

McDonald's Doug.

Focus.

King Nothing
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
McDonald's Doug.

Focus.Focusing. Katy might even show up.

BigE
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
I had a very similar case way back when. Went to county court in Greeley and almost every case before mine was no insurance, no license, dui and yes, the majority were Mexican (just stating the fact of the matter, I was one of about 10 white people in the SRO court room...and that's counting the judge, DA and baliffs).
I guess I got a sympathy fine since my Mom had just passed away, got out of there for under $50 including court fees. Best part was the DA asking why I didn't pull over for two miles. I told him that my mirrors vibrated so bad I couldn't see in them anyway, besides I was tucked down on the tank!
As soon as I saw a white fender come up beside me in my peripheral vision I knew I was toast. Just sat up, let go the gas and look over to see the cop yelling and gesturing for me to pull over.

rforsythe
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I should have taught you to speak Korean....wait, I don't know Korean myself, just the women and food!!!

Say "ca ca joo-say-oh"... Means "discount, please!" in Korean. Might come in handy in court?

ghostrider_9
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Say "ca ca joo-say-oh"... Means "discount, please!" in Korean. Might come in handy in court?

It sounds like a set-up . . . If you say that in court you will most likely be arrested onthe spot and likely tazered, then shot . . .

rforsythe
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Unless you're in Korea. Then they feed you a live octopus, then arrest you, tazer you, and shoot you.

That actually is a legit phrase. Saved me some money when I was out shopping in Insadong.

MAZIN
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
That sucks but man atleast it was not $561.00 (thats why you dont bring the horny girl next door to court with you, would not leave me alone in court, mr judge man did not like that.)