PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Spencer school shut down

rybo
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34774

www.fastfreddie.com (http://www.fastfreddie.com)

Sortarican
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Get back to the Girl's Only forum where you belong Scott.

konichd
Thu Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I thought it was funny somone thought repo'ing Honda's was worth it. :)

pilot
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
:(It is sad, that in a time when we need more quality training available, we hear of one of the main rider training companies (at least main in terms of being well known) has shut down.

About two months ago I knew of this coming; that is part of being knit into the rider training/motorcycle road show family. When one hears about such matters others might think it would make for "fun" conversation and "Gee, guess what?" stuff aka DRAMA. As a courtesy to the school, it's business partners and it's employees nothing about the issue was brought public. We all hoped that Freddie would find some way to recover. But, unfortunately this happened. The company's debts go way beyond Honda, the facility and the track day training gear.

This is a financial and business planning warning to many small motorcycle businesses. Take heed and try not to get into to long line of a credit debt with others. Don't promise to give something you don't already have in hopes of acquiring something that you might not get. Instead, give a piece of something that you already have, and be prepared for the change that comes with that trade.

Thus far, traffic and sales have been on the downside for most motorcycle related businesses. It will be interesting to see how the International Motorcycle Show events around the country handle this downturn in the economy.

We, trade show reps and trainers, put a lot of energy into working 12-14 hour days. It is not easy to stay "happy and smiling:)" when working twice as hard as before. As 10's of thousands of potential customers pass by we must always remember that someday this person may need our product and it is or job to present the riding public our Lee Parks riding gear, Condor Pit Stops, Total Control rider training technology products. Also, we support many other businesses by providing referrals and positive comments about their products ans services.

and

Remember the old businessman's adage: "Sell to the masses, eat with the classes. Sell to classes, eat with the masses.":yumyum:

pilot
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Jim is right. I should have just created a link for Keith Code's comments to the on-line publication. Thanks Jim. What I find interesting, is that there has been very little discussion of the school's closing. Perhaps it is not of relevant value to the discussion on this forum.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
FIRST PERSON/OPINION

Via e-mail:

Freddie closing his school isn't good news at all.

I thought I'd be overjoyed if one of our competitors closed down but I'm not.

Everyone thinks they can get into the track day and school business these days but it isn't that easy. I'm sad because while their are over a dozen "schools" out there, there are really only three worthy enough to call true competition, Freddie and his instructors, Nick Ienatsch and Jeff Haney, was one of them.

I'll miss all the chatter about whose school is the best, mine or Freddie's, I love that stuff. He was a worthy competitor in his racing career and it was fun competing with him in the school arena.

Keith Code
California Superbike School
Los Angeles, California

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34782

:)

(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send them a link or post a link to this page.)

Matt
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Freddie is supposedly having some personal problems...

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34774

I've been to his school 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. It was an expensive school, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" definitely applied. I hope he's able to get back on track and re-open the school some day.

rforsythe
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Jim is right. I should have just created a link for Keith Code's comments to the on-line publication. Thanks Jim. What I find interesting, is that there has been very little discussion of the school's closing. Perhaps it is not of relevant value to the discussion on this forum.

Not much to discuss. It sucks. Hope he gets his stuff sorted out.

What else is there to say?

pilot
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Not much to discuss. It sucks. Hope he gets his stuff sorted out.

What else is there to say?

Several members of this site and the MRA have taken the school and speak highly of the training attributes. Their experience and observations of the Spencer system of training may help others in deciding which direction they may take as either a provider, trainer or student.
This site, and its members, speak highly of continued education. Now that the Spencer school has closed what other options/experiences can the members relate?
Should the school re-open under the direction of another entity?
Should the school re-open at all?
Are there too few training facilities or too many for the current/future demand?
Was the course too over the top in terms of what it provided in equipment and services or did they not provide enough for the fees charged?
Might Nick I. provide some input to our members? It is my understanding that he knows and has trained several associates of this site and the MRA.
Is there less wanted demand for advanced training (courses not required to get a license and/or insurance discount) and more for required systems such as those new rider programs that have come under scrutiny for their methodology in providing access to MC licensing requirements, product and equipment discounts, and as previously mentioned--insurance?
Is this just another "RIP" post (with all due respect to those that have past) where just saying, "To bad, so sad, good try, goodbye."
Is this the general direction of motorcycle industry--the tip of the iceberg? Or just a one-off experience, caused by poor business management?
If so, why/how could so many individuals, sponsors, banks, employees be led on a path to failure?
Members of this site, the MRA, and others are taking ventures into similar areas. Will Freddie's experience be helpful to them in deciding a course of action? Or will he, and his school, be just another dead soldier along the trail?

Schools, like his, provided excellent training for riders both on and off the track/street/dirt. Such programs also provided individuals the opportunity for participants to meet and exchange ideas about racing, track days, training, and social riding. School is where we have the chance to make mistakes before we end up in the real world. Which, is much less forgiving. Just ask Freddie and his crew.