PDA

View Full Version : WTH did that cop say.....

Magnum
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Apparently I can understand hands signals, but my lip reading, meh, I'll need to work on that.! This was classic and I actually laughed out loud and it brightened my otherwise dreary day!

I was at the Quebec / C-470 on ramp and they had the signals down with cops directing traffic, well they were about to bring the signals back on as I sat there waiting and I understood what the one cop meant when she hand gestured to go when the turn arrow tells me to, but then the other cop decided to come talk to me......

Well you can't hear jack-shit with the iPod cranked in the helmet so I flipped up my shield like it was sound proof or something and just said "Yep, oh, ok I'll go when the arrow tells me to"..... I still have no clue what he was saying, but it sure was a lot....... :oops:

NO you cannot have your click back!!!

Scribbler
Sat Oct 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
huh?

modette99
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM

suzinpink
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
?

(( LO LO ))
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
....uh..... yeah.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I have had to turn the iPod off while a cop was pulled up next to me complaining about how "he know why us guys turn our license plates up". He saw me reach over and hit the button on the pod to turn it off. I thought I was gonna get a ticket for sure.

Hide your wires, turn the damn things off when a cop is around. plead ignorance. It IS illegal to wear these while riding.

Think
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I have had to turn the iPod off while a cop was pulled up next to me complaining about how "he know why us guys turn our license plates up". He saw me reach over and hit the button on the pod to turn it off. I thought I was gonna get a ticket for sure.

Hide your wires, turn the damn things off when a cop is around. plead ignorance. It IS illegal to wear these while riding.
I thought you can have a bud in one ear?

Scribbler
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:47 AM
According to these two references...

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=co
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/PrintLaws.html

There shows no restrictions for Helmet Speakers/Earbuds.

Which is odd, because this question came up before on this forum, and I seem to recall one of those sites once showing Colorado being listed as no ear-buds but speakers were okay. And somebody had commented that "It must be a recent change." because not long prior to that the same sites listed no restrictions... oooh I'm so confused =/

LadyT
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:06 AM
yeah....huh?

Devaclis
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I am searching right now for the law on it. I can't find anything. I may jsut shoot an email to the CSP to see if they can help out.

puckstr
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
So what is the difference in listening to tunes in my helmet and a car stereo?

NONE.

So are Deaf people not aloud to drive either?

DARK ANGEL
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
my roomie has headphones in his helmet and they are legal. the law basically states that you cant have anything "in" your ears obstructing other sounds from entering your ear and preventing you from hearing them. it is legal to have headphones in your helmet but not earbuds or anything that goes "in" your ear canal.

we did look this up and the above that has it listed is correct.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM
So what is the difference in listening to tunes in my helmet and a car stereo?

NONE.

So are Deaf people not aloud to drive either?
A better compairson is what's the difference between wearing earbuds in the helmet and wearing headphones in the car. NONE. (it is illegal to do that too)

The reasoning is that with headphones/earbuds on, you can't hear emergency vehicles approaching, making it dangerous. At least with a car stereo it can be turned down & it's not blocking out outside sound.

puckstr
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM
A better compairson is what's the difference between wearing earbuds in the helmet and wearing headphones in the car. NONE. (it is illegal to do that too)

The reasoning is that with headphones/earbuds on, you can't hear emergency vehicles approaching, making it dangerous. At least with a car stereo it can be turned down & it's not blocking out outside sound.

I can control my music with earbuds while riding.
Plus it has a FM tuner
I can even take phone calls while riding.

Motorola S705
http://www.mobilised.com.au/images/stories/devices/moto_sound_bundle.jpg

Sortarican
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I can control my music with earbuds while riding.
Plus it has a FM tunerI can even take phone calls while riding. Motorola S705

That's not what we're worried about Steve, it's the voices in your head that have the rest of us concerned.

Scribbler
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM
my roomie has headphones in his helmet and they are legal. the law basically states that you cant have anything "in" your ears obstructing other sounds from entering your ear and preventing you from hearing them. it is legal to have headphones in your helmet but not earbuds or anything that goes "in" your ear canal.

we did look this up and the above that has it listed is correct.
Can you provide any link or reference to back this up? I have searched around a bit and have found nothing to either confirm nor deny this. I have searched extensively, and have found nothing even remotely referencing this.

Where are you quoting this from?

MAZIN
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
That's not what we're worried about Steve, it's the voices in your head that have the rest of us concerned.

Damn it you beat me to it!

Devaclis
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I find nothing in regards to earphones. Only helmet speakers.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=co

Scribbler
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Ah, okay I stopped searching specifically for motorcycles and broadened the search to all motor vehicles and found this....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=html&cd=9&url=http%3A%2F%2F209.85.173.104%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcac he%3AmpPEtk7bZNYJ%3Awww.naco.org%2FContent%2FConte ntGroups%2FCounty%2FCodes%2FPersonnel%2FHR051.doc% 2Bcolorado%2Bdriving%2Bwith%2Bearphones%26hl%3Den% 26ct%3Dclnk%26cd%3D9%26gl%3Dus%26client%3Dfirefox-a&ei=B3QISbWYDIKUsQOBk6mqAw&usg=AFQjCNGx-IWiLQ9kY_5-vGczi66gjfbyPw&sig2=Nocoh4GBaPkSDCWcYtB-xA

Sec. 54-79. Use of earphones while driving prohibited; exceptions.

(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones.

(b) For purposes of subsection (a), “earphones” includes any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device which provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other live or recorded information through a device attached to the head or body and which covers all of or a portion of the ears.

(c) The wearing of earphones is presumed to be illegal and unauthorized.

(d) The following exceptions shall apply:

(1) Physician prescribed hearing aids;

(2) Official police, fire department or other government-approved earphones while on duty;

(3) Speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear.

(Code 1950, § 507.13; Ord. No. 81-88, 2-16-88)

Devaclis
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 08:42 AM
So, hands free headsets for cell phones are illegal? Bluetooth earpieces too? hmmmm

puckstr
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Tell my dog to stop telling me what to do!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

What? You can't hear that?

Magnum
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 02:20 PM
To all the Huh people, did I not explain / write it that well or what.....LOL. I thought I explained myself pretty well and since I know I wasn't drinking, I'm gonna' say the rest of you were! Ha-Ha....:drink:

On the laws, I thought helmet speakers were legal but putting the ear buds in your ears were not.....IDK, but I do know I can't stand them sitting in the helmet because it sounds like a transistor radio.....

Just be careful of johnny law, I won't be locking my ipod anymore so I can just hit the pause while it's in my pocket.

Also, I agree with the car stereo vs. helmet earphone statements because I know in my car with the windows up and the stereo turned up I can't hear shit around me......and it sure does sound gooooooood!

angab
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The lawyer says...

Here is the CO statute on headphones while operating motor vehicles:

http://statcont.westlaw.com/images/arrow.gif§ 42-4-1411. Use of earphones while driving

(1)(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones.

(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "earphones" includes any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device which provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and which covers all of or a portion of the ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear.

(2) Any person who violates this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

So, not to be completely lawerly here...but earbuds arguably don't cover "all or a portion of the ears." They just go inside your ear.

Unfortunately, this argument probably doesn't pass the smile test (technical law school term - would a judge smile and then sentence you to the maximum punishment if you made this argument?), so I probably wouldn't try to use it. Still, I'm sure there are some CSCers out there who would. :)

GRNMSHN
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
cops think that everything we do is illegal from legal in all 50 state bike mods to dirty looks so i say screw it my music is more important than anything they have to say unless the lights are on:rock:

fullgrownbear
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
The lawyer says...

Here is the CO statute on headphones while operating motor vehicles:

http://statcont.westlaw.com/images/arrow.gif§ 42-4-1411. Use of earphones while driving

(1)(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones.

(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "earphones" includes any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device which provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and which covers all of or a portion of the ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear.

(2) Any person who violates this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

So, not to be completely lawerly here...but earbuds arguably don't cover "all or a portion of the ears." They just go inside your ear.

Unfortunately, this argument probably doesn't pass the smile test (technical law school term - would a judge smile and then sentence you to the maximum punishment if you made this argument?), so I probably wouldn't try to use it. Still, I'm sure there are some CSCers out there who would. :)

Is not the inside of an ear, still part of the ear? :|