PDA

View Full Version : Block failed bank execs' bonuses... YA THINK?!

rforsythe
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Why wasn't this part of the (mostretardedfinanciallegislativepackageever) bailout deal to begin with?

http://www.9news.com/money/article.aspx?storyid=102597&catid=344

Ugh. $700 billion bailout package, using so much money that the government doesn't actually even have all of it, and "they've" budgeted $71 Billion in end-of-year bonuses for these sons of bitches that screwed all of us over? WTF?

salsashark
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
did you expect anything less from the failout plan?!

The Black Knight
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Like it or not, you've got to give the House Republicans and the 95 House Dems some credit for voting against it the first time around. I think they should have just stuck to their guns on this one and not passed the bailout plan.

The biggest problem we've got right now is Washington seems to think they can fix every problem that comes down the pike by just throwing money at it. Ever since this bailout got passed the markets tanked(sure makes a hell of a lot of sense).

Everyone in our government from President Bush to Congress need to keep their mouths shut and stick to doing what they do best(and that's nothing). Let the markets recover on their own(just as they have before, because why? it's historically proven). Every time Bush or Pelosi or Reid or anyone in government power opens their mouth it just keeps it in the tank.

Personally I kind of like seeing the markets down for awhile because it's forced the price of Oil down(way down!). It's the glimmering silver lineing to this black cloud. Oil has come down and we're back to paying $2.50 a gallon again. Would I like to see it drop even more? Absolutely YES!, if we can get gas back down to sub $2 range, you'll start to see the economy come back. People will have the cash to buy stuff again and actually start to travel or go places. Hell even just having the extra cash from less gas prices will give people a chance to get caught up on or pay off bills. The all important thing is the debt that people can finally eleviate.

zetaetatheta
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Personally I kind of like seeing the markets down for awhile because it's forced the price of Oil down(way down!). It's the glimmering silver lineing to this black cloud. Oil has come down and we're back to paying $2.50 a gallon again. Would I like to see it drop even more? Absolutely YES!, if we can get gas back down to sub $2 range, you'll start to see the economy come back. People will have the cash to buy stuff again and actually start to travel or go places. Hell even just having the extra cash from less gas prices will give people a chance to get caught up on or pay off bills. The all important thing is the debt that people can finally eleviate.
This is one statement I totally agree with you on. IMHO, foreclosures and easing up credit (which isn't happening) aren't the drag on our economy, it is fuel prices. The USA is not set up for cheap mass transportation as we are a suburban nation. Americans drive farther than any nation just to go to work. Folks are charging up their cards just for fuel. Bailout will do noting for the middle class, fat-cats will feast off the backs of the working stiffs. Lower our fuel costs and things will get rolling again--period.

puckstr
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
did you expect anything less from the failout plan?!

We all bitch and complain about the corruption, but we are so far down the FOOD-CHAIN that our Votes, our Objections, and our Anger will go unnoticed.

Business as usual.

"Let them eat Cake"

chad23
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:03 AM
We all bitch and complain about the corruption, but we are so far down the FOOD-CHAIN that our Votes, our Objections, and our Anger will go unnoticed.

Business as usual.

"Let them eat Cake"
I disagree, if you educate and become proactive in what you believe, you can be heard. Get others that feel the same and it will start to snowball. The problem is we would all rather sit around and bitch between ourselves instead of writing our politicians, and talking to our peers about doing the same

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as long as the right person hears the squeak

puckstr
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Good Luck on that

salsashark
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM

I always thought that went

"the squeaky wheel is the first one to be replaced."

:dunno:

Big-J
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I disagree, if you educate and become proactive in what you believe, you can be heard. Get others that feel the same and it will start to snowball. The problem is we would all rather sit around and bitch between ourselves instead of writing our politicians, and talking to our peers about doing the same

:imwithstupid:

You hit the nail on the head!

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
:imwithstupid:

You hit the nail on the head!

I'd rather hit some of these bank execs on the head....but I don't have the correct hammer....
http://www.juneauempire.com/images/051806/13659_500.jpg

Snowman
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Like it or not, you've got to give the House Republicans and the 95 House Dems some credit for voting against it the first time around. I think they should have just stuck to their guns on this one and not passed the bailout plan.

The biggest problem we've got right now is Washington seems to think they can fix every problem that comes down the pike by just throwing money at it. Ever since this bailout got passed the markets tanked(sure makes a hell of a lot of sense).

Everyone in our government from President Bush to Congress need to keep their mouths shut and stick to doing what they do best(and that's nothing).This has to be one of the signs of the apocalypse…
The Black Knight disparaging the Bush Administration. We all should be looking out for the four horseman coming over the horizon anytime now.

Let the markets recover on their own(just as they have before, because why? it's historically proven). Every time Bush or Pelosi or Reid or anyone in government power opens their mouth it just keeps it in the tank.

The reason gas prices are down is because we cannot afford to travel as much. As soon as we do, the prices will go up again.

The core reason for this 11-month economic recession is the amount of debt that has been created. Not just the 10 trillion or so the government has generated in the last 7 years, but the estimated 100 trillion owned by the American people. From credit cards to auto loans and home mortgages we are leveraged to the hilt. And with the devaluing of all these things it makes them impossible to sell.

The credit is simply no longer their to bring the economy back to where it was. We have maxed out the cards, used up the equity lines and borrowed at 0% for 6 months everything we can. There is nothing left and what we have to pay off is coming due.

I don’t agree that the government can and should do nothing. Deregulation has caused the runaway effect of all of this, not the reason just the effect. There were little to no checks and balances on people you did anything to make money. These people even leveraged future generations that have not even been born to make money for themselves now.

The government has the power to stabilize prices. They can if we make them, freeze credit card interest rates at 18% or less, refinance ARM Home Loans to their “real” value to Fixed Rate Loans, not to mention cut their own spending and yes raise taxes (on all of us) to pay down this debt before we leave it to the next generation.

We as American’s can make a budget and live within our means. You know, do not pay out more than you make? Fix instead of buy new. Pay cash instead of putting it on credit cards. And god/gods/no god forbid put money in a savings account instead of playing the stock market.

The last thing we need to do with the cash we are saving from low oil prices is to spend it.

The Black Knight
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
This has to be one of the signs of the apocalypse…
The Black Knight disparaging the Bush Administration. We all should be looking out for the four horseman coming over the horizon anytime now.

The reason gas prices are down is because we cannot afford to travel as much. As soon as we do, the prices will go up again.

The core reason for this 11-month economic recession is the amount of debt that has been created. Not just the 10 trillion or so the government has generated in the last 7 years, but the estimated 100 trillion owned by the American people. From credit cards to auto loans and home mortgages we are leveraged to the hilt. And with the devaluing of all these things it makes them impossible to sell.

The credit is simply no longer their to bring the economy back to where it was. We have maxed out the cards, used up the equity lines and borrowed at 0% for 6 months everything we can. There is nothing left and what we have to pay off is coming due.

I don’t agree that the government can and should do nothing. Deregulation has caused the runaway effect of all of this, not the reason just the effect. There were little to no checks and balances on people you did anything to make money. These people even leveraged future generations that have not even been born to make money for themselves now.

The government has the power to stabilize prices. They can if we make them, freeze credit card interest rates at 18% or less, refinance ARM Home Loans to their “real” value to Fixed Rate Loans, not to mention cut their own spending and yes raise taxes (on all of us) to pay down this debt before we leave it to the next generation.

We as American’s can make a budget and live within our means. You know, do not pay out more than you make? Fix instead of buy new. Pay cash instead of putting it on credit cards. And god/gods/no god forbid put money in a savings account instead of playing the stock market.

The last thing we need to do with the cash we are saving from low oil prices is to spend it.

Snowman, I wasn't for the ballout myself. In fact I thought it was a bad idea that would only lead to worse problems. It's like using a bandaid to fix a gushing artery.

Of course I didn't agree with Bush or Pelosi for that matter. As I said, I think the house Repubs and the 95 Dems did a great job in standing to their guns and not passing it the first time. Maybe if they would have been more stalwart in their voting, it wouldn't have passed. But hindsight is 20/20.

I honestly think it was the best thing to happen to the market. While we disagree about oil. I still think it's the main driving force behind this whole problem in the US. Now that the markets are tanking, OIL is right behind them. People worry about getting to their jobs and buying groceries. It's alot easier to accomplish those tasks on $2.49 a gallon as opposed to $4.49 a gallon. Every little bit helps and when it comes to gas usage it helped alot.

Your comment about Credit is is good and reflective of America and I think it ties in well with your last statement. Of course we should be paying off what we owe. However, that was my point. If gas is cheaper then maybe people will finally be able to pay off debt. Debt is the worst thing to happen to this country. What happened to just paying cash for things(I know, I'm the worst when it comes to this and it's a habit I've had to break the hard way). I realize financing a Home, not everyone can drop $100k, $200k on a home. But cars? yeah it's great to drive a badass truck or shiney car. But do you really need it, when a used one will do just fine? Don't get me wrong, I believe the strongest wealth building tool for anyone is their income. I also believe in having good transportation to get to work. So I see nothing wrong with financing a car or truck either.

Credit cards on the other hand are the devil. Which is why I'm paying mine off and then cancelling it. Only reason I got one, was to re-establish some credit and bump my score. Other then that, it's a tool I'll use then throw away once I'm where I want to be.

While I see nothing wrong with what you meant by the gov. stepping in and freezing rates and so forth. That's the kind of assistance I like to see from the government. Greed needs to be curbed, because 21% 25% on credit is just BS. No one should have to pay that, and I can't believe companies have the gaul to charge it(the downside to captialism and freemarkets... Greed). However, a bailout is not what I want to see in a government. I don't need my tax dollars bailing out people who can't watch their bottom line.

Here's an idea for all the big corporations out there. If you want to save money, can some of your fat cat CEO's and higher ups or give them a pay cut. I think they can survive, plus you can keep your workforce around as well. But the bigwhigs hate to hear that, so lay-offs happen. GREED... :down: