PDA

View Full Version : High Plains Raceway

TFOGGuys
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I went out for the walking tour of HPR this morning, and all I can say is WOW! Pavement is down, and the layout looks like a total blast. 2.5 miles of twisty, technical asphalt, with a couple of serious gut check sections. Blind crests, huge elevation changes, long straights, wild combo corners, it's got it all. I strongly suggest if you haven't donated yet, it's time to get off the fence. There's already enough funds for a basic, primitive racetrack, but a little more would go a LONG way towards a few amenities. If you were one of the ones that said "I'll give when I actually see a racetrack", it's time for you to get off the fence and get behind this. I know I'll be donating more as time and funds allow.

Note: If you wanna get a look at the new track, go to the HPR website (http://www.highplainsraceway.com/) to arrange for a tour or get a video of an ACTUAL LAP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4c7FJpCIp8)

peteremsley
Sun Oct 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
...Blind crests, huge elevation changes, long straights, wild combo corners, it's got it all...

Yep, we rode bicycles around last weekend and I was completely stunned by it :) I think its turn 3 that you approach and really don't have a clue if its going to go left or right. There are some quick and cool elevation changes for sure.

Can't wait for next spring!

hcr25
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
That track is never going to happen, I will believe it when i see it, blah blah blah!

Remember not so long ago when some people were saying that? I hpe they dont ever get to ride there.

As for the track, it is the shit and i have already raced there :)

Sortarican
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
...As for the track, it is the shit and i have already raced there :)

[Insert generic jealousy response here:]

rybo
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
As for the track, it is the shit and i have already raced there :)

Mike,

I heard you were running a cheater cart with aftermarket handle and double bubble...is it true?

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Mike has the honor of being the first racer ever to have an off track excursion at HPR!

http://i33.tinypic.com/2qdrksn.jpg

hcr25
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Next time we will have more shopping carts!

hcr25
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Mike,

I heard you were running a cheater cart with aftermarket handle and double bubble...is it true?

Nope, not true. Jeffs cart was modern vintage thats all :)

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Nope, not true. Jeffs cart was modern vintage thats all :)
I see a tech teardown in your future.....

Mother Goose
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I see a tech teardown in your future.....
Check his crank shaft.

konichd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
[quote=hcr25;372721]That track is never going to happen, I will believe it when i see it, blah blah blah!
Remember not so long ago when some people were saying that?

I must admit I was one of those people. Being an Architect I could see hard times coming in the construction industry. I had jobs just flat out die, and others get drastically cut due to banks not lending money. I had a 18 million dollar project get funding pulled after LOI's had been signed by major corporations (which you NEVER see). I was one of those thinking that the hard times would hit HPR.

However through the hard work of Glenn and his staff they truly pulled off something that I never thought would be reality. I doff my cap to all the people that made HPR possible.

Now its time for me to suck it up and make my personal donation and also a business donation. I can't find the tread that had the donation link/PDF form? Anyone? :)

Once again, great work for all that made it happen!

rforsythe
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Check his crank shaft.

That sounds kinda personal. :shock:

rybo
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
David,

And my hat off to you for following up on your word. You said you'd donate when you saw a track, and now you're doing what you said.

Here is the donation form.

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR-Donation-Form.pdf

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'm not qualifies to check his crank... I'm a mechanic, not a urologist....

http://www.zaldiva.com/images/TSHIRTS/STARTREK/startrek_dammitjim_tshirt_pic2.jpg

konichd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks Scott!

I'll print it out and get something off in the mail tomorrow :)

Bueller
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I will donate in the usual way, I will pay my entry fee the day of the event. Unless of course people who scoffed and didn't poney up a donation are not allowed to ride it, which is ok too.

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Scott, is the paypal account for CSC donations still active?

rforsythe
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Scott, is the paypal account for CSC donations still active?

Actually that would be a question for Glenn, since he ran it. ;)

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Glenn, is the paypal account for CSC donations still active?

Ok then.....

The GECCO
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Actually that would be a question for Glenn, since he ran it. ;)

Yes, please use MRA_CAMA@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Done.:)

wankel7
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I will donate in the usual way, I will pay my entry fee the day of the event. Unless of course people who scoffed and didn't poney up a donation are not allowed to ride it, which is ok too.

I agree with I will make my donations when I ride the track.

What is the difference between giving money now and giving it to a track day outfit?

rybo
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I agree with I will make my donations when I ride the track.

What is the difference between giving money now and giving it to a track day outfit?

Giving money now will go directly to improvements to the facility. Things like power, bathrooms, running water etc.

When you pay a trackday fee it isn't a donation. It's a price paid ($$) for a service rendered (track time).

As a guy who runs a trackday outfit, when you give me money I give some of that money to the track for rental fees. I also have to cover the cost of an ambulance, cornerworkers, insurance, supplies etc. So only a portion of your trackday fee goes directly to the track (who has to give a portion of that money to their operating expenses, like insurance too). As a result, a donation now is a direct funding of track facilities. A trackday fee later will be covering overhead and operating expenses with the leftovers going to track improvements.

Scott

Bueller
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Is this a for profit endevour?

I wouldn't just give $ to McDonalds so I can sit in a golden booth, and still pay the same amount for a hamburger. If Ronald wants a golden booth he can buy it from the proceeds of the sales.

The GECCO
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Is this a for profit endevour?

I wouldn't just give $ to McDonalds so I can sit in a golden booth, and still pay the same amount for a hamburger. If Ronald wants a golden booth he can buy it from the proceeds of the sales.

The problem with that analogy is that you don't own the McDonalds, and the profits go into someone elses pocket. This track is owned and operated by the members of the racing clubs of Colorado.

As far as it being for profit - yes, technically it is, but that's only because there's no point in going through the necessary hoops to make it a non-profit. Again, it's owned by the members of the clubs that race there, and the member club rates will be just enough to cover overhead, service the debt and perform routine maintenance and improvements. Beyond that, what would be the point of generating excess profits? WE OWN IT. If your family owned a McDonalds and your family members were the only customers, what would be the point of having it generate profit? All you need is for it to break even so it can continue to exist. Anything more is just taking money from one pocket and putting it in the other (and possibly paying taxes on it in the process). Yes, eventually the budget will be there to allow for added infrastructure, but it would be nicer to have those things already there on opening day. The donations will make that happen, and will keep the rental rates lower since the improvements part of the future budgets will be lower.

If you don't want to donate, fine, don't. Frankly, though, I'm sick and tired of the naysayers posting up their justifications WHY. Instead, why don't you just say THANK YOU to the 1200+ members that have donated almost $688,000.00, not to mention me and the rest of the CAMA Board that have put hundreds of uncompensated hours into this project over the last 5+ years.

Bueller
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thats the beauty of America though, as tired as you are about listening to naysayers, they all still have the right to express their feelings. This isn't the MRA where you can silence the dissenting opinions.
I don't own a piece of it, nor do the other people that don't race. From a personal financial position it doesn't make sense for me to bankroll a business I have no stock in. I must say it is an ingenious idea to get people to just give you free money to start a business without having to worry about giving a return.

Vehicle 1
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Well, there was a DEMAND for this "business" and it seems like the donations just made it happen; if there was no demand, people would not give "free money" for a random “business" to ensue. Don't forget the part where contributions done now will translate in lower rates in the future...

Diego.

McVaaahhh
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Might be a bit early, but does anybody know what track time is going to cost at HPR? Will it be club only days with a provider like chicane, or will there just be open days like PMP has now?

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I look at it as an investment in the future. When Second Creek was open, it was a cheap and convenient place to race. The couple of hundred bucks I have contributed so far wouldn't even cover gas to get TO Hastings, much less the time I would have to take off to make such a trip. I'll admit it, I got spoiled when we had 4 or 5 racetracks to ride at within a few hours of Denver. Then we lost Mead, Second Creek, La Junta, and PPIR, all in a couple of years. That was a real eye opener. So for me, HPR is a part of the racing renaissance that I'm hoping to foster. I liked going out to SCR for half a day on my day off, hopefully HPR will offer something similar. It's just about 45 minutes from my front door to the gate at HPR, about the same as Mead was, about twice what it was to Second Creek, and about 1/3rd the time it takes me to get to Pueblo. So to me, it's worth it.

The GECCO
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I must say it is an ingenious idea to get people to just give you free money to start a business without having to worry about giving a return.

Wow, you really just DON'T get it, do you? :roll:

dragos13
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If you don't want to donate, fine, don't. Frankly, though, I'm sick and tired of the naysayers posting up their justifications WHY. Instead, why don't you just say THANK YOU to the 1200+ members that have donated almost $688,000.00, not to mention me and the rest of the CAMA Board that have put hundreds of uncompensated hours into this project over the last 5+ years.

Very well said Glenn.

How can someone consider attending a trackday as being the same as donating? Are you going to pay for entrance but not ride? Isn't paying for a trackday and riding just purchasing goods (ie tracktime). If every rider had that mentality, HPR would be nothing more then a dream.

Big thanks to all the DONATING members that have made this amazing track come to life. When I peddled around the course a couple weeks ago, I couldn't express with words the appreciation I have for Glenn and everyone else running this show. Top notch facility which is only going to get better.

So, for anyone out there that might want to ride this track some day it is now time to step up and donate some money. Every little bit helps. We all know that the economy sucks right now but even $20 here and $20 there will make a huge difference.

JustSomeDude
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Remember not so long ago when some people were saying that? I hpe they dont ever get to ride there.

I said that... And you are an idiot. Very mature approach. How about I piss in your face for being an idiot?

Now we're square. Jackass.

rforsythe
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Might be a bit early, but does anybody know what track time is going to cost at HPR? Will it be club only days with a provider like chicane, or will there just be open days like PMP has now?

I have no authoritative stance on this whatsoever, so these are just my opinions. That said...
- I'd be surprised to see PMP continue to offer these as a regular thing. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's a big exposure on their part.

- Having now walked HPR and seen it for myself, I wouldn't be surprised if they never had open days like PMP does now and SCR used to. If you crash on the back side of that track, nobody will know anything about it as some parts are basically not visible. On top of that, it will take someone time to get to you. The prospect of riding there without cornerworkers and an ambulance is scary. It's a great track, fun layout, and lots of runoff, but things do happen, and I don't want to be laying out in a field for 45 minutes while the other guy in the paddock mid-week slowly realizes I didn't come back in.

Again, these are just my opinions, but having talked to others offline about riding at HPR without a staffed day, the impressions have been similar. I guess if they did choose to do it, more power to them, and if you want to take the risk then knock yourself out. I'll wait for staffed days when I can bin it and get scraped off in short order if necessary.

hcr25
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I said that... And you are an idiot. Very mature approach. How about I piss in your face for being an idiot?

I didnt see where you said that and have no idea who you are. I just said alot of people said it would never happen, guess what It did. If someone wont donate 5 or 10 bucks to make something happen that would benifit them. I hope they dont ever ride there.

As for being mature? I rode a shopping cart down the biggest hill at the new track. Ya Im real mature :)

64BonnieLass
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM
As for being mature? I rode a shopping cart down the biggest hill at the new track. Ya Im real mature :)

:lol: Those pics are classic. Hysterical! I wish I could have seen that in person.

dragos13
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I didnt see where you said that and have no idea who you are. I just said alot of people said it would never happen, guess what It did. If someone wont donate 5 or 10 bucks to make something happen that would benifit them. I hope they dont ever ride there.

Mike, I gotta say those cheater bearings that you were running in your cart were not very "mature" at all. You are lucky Brown was unfamiliar with the rulebook, otherwise there would have been a protest.

lovinCO
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
:lol: Those pics are classic. Hysterical! I wish I could have seen that in person.

I did see it in person and when they decided to stand up in the carts...I was skeeeerrrd! :shocked:

Player 2
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Yes, please use MRA_CAMA@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

Additional donation sent :up:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Mature approach? Enough said.

The GECCO
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Additional donation sent :up:

Thanks!

Thanks to you as well, Jim!

wankel7
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Fair enough. To those who have raised 600K+ for this track....thank you ! That is really an amazing sum of money that will benefit all of us who like to go fast:) Thanks!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
We have signed up for the next 'tour de HPR'. It will be good to check out where our donations have gone. More to come.

The GECCO
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
We have signed up for the next 'tour de HPR'. It will be good to check out where our donations have gone. More to come.

Of course I'm a little biased, but I think you'll find it nothing short of spectacular!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Oct 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Of course I'm a little biased, but I think you'll find it nothing short of spectacular!

My guess is we will want to give more $$ after our encounter.

hcr25
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 03:33 AM
Really old threads make me laugh!

Kitten
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. Thanks for bringing it back. LOL

hcr25
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
We need more shopping carts this time!!
Maybe we can race them again this year.

hcr25
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Stand up only, sitting down seems to safe.

Zach929rr
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Shopping carts + bobsled!?

OUTLAWD
Mon May 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
kids :rolleyes: