PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Junkies

slayermd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have a few questions and comments.

Im looking into a new phone. I have the ATT Tilt with a cooked ROM and its ok. I think Im over Windows Mobile though. I want a touch screen phone and these are the ones Im looking into.

1.Blackberry Storm (when it comes out)
http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrystorm/images/photos_full_front.jpg
2.ATT Fuze (again, when it comes out)
http://www.phonemag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/htc-touch-pro-slider-keyboard-open-580x521.jpg
3.T-Mobile G1
http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2008/10/14/bu-google24_ph_0499190270.jpg
4.Apple iPhone (please judge me later!)
http://www.techdigest.tv/apple-iphone-in-hand-thumb.jpg

The question I have is for the iPhone. Do I need to install iTunes on my computer to put anything on it? I hate iTunes and well pretty much anything Apple but I want a phone that works with its hardware and the iPhone does that. Couldnt I just sync the phone with Windows Media Player or copy and paste onto the phones memory?

utsv650
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
nope you need iTunes... it makes the syncing photos audiobooks pictures ringtones apps contacts mail ....and about everything else seamless

Matrix
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I maybe mistaken but I think the Storm is going to be only on the Verizon network. I know ATT is getting the BOLD which I have kind of been holding out for.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrybold/index_devices.jpg

slayermd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I maybe mistaken but I think the Storm is going to be only on the Verizon network. I know ATT is getting the BOLD which I have kind of been holding out for.

The Storm is only for the Verizon network, but I have also heard of a GSM version too (as the 9500 or Thunder). But I wouldn't mind heading over to Verizon to get this phone.

Thats too bad about the iPhone. I really don't want iTunes or anything that starts with "i" on my computer. Oh well.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Got an iPhone last week. I figured the iTunes thing would be annoying, but it isn't too bad. Very much digging the phone, too.

salsashark
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Got an iPhone last week. I figured the iTunes thing would be annoying, but it isn't too bad. Very much digging the phone, too.

my thoughts exactly... having never owned anything apple (iPod, Mac, etc) before, I picked one up a couple of months ago and I like it... does everything I need it to do, and works a hell of a lot better than the tilt.

DevilsTonic
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I have a new iPhone 3G, but the iTunes doesn't really bother me too much since I already had an iPod.

The only thing that irritates me is the iTunes Genius software in the new version of iTunes, it takes for ever to load now and I haven't taken the time to see if it's a feature that can be disabled.

I absolutely love my iPhone though, even if I do have to use iTunes with it.

slayermd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
does everything I need it to do, and works a hell of a lot better than the tilt.

As a Tilt owner I will agree. The damn thing typesl iket hisa ndi s VERY ANNOYING!

So far the Storm is my number one pick when its out.

HR636
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
G1 has the best features, and keyboard. It's directly influenced from the sidekick which has the absolute best keyboard on a phone.

I`m Batman
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 03:00 PM

my thoughts exactly... having never owned anything apple (iPod, Mac, etc) before, I picked one up a couple of months ago and I like it... does everything I need it to do, and works a hell of a lot better than the tilt.

Ditto... I don't think I can ever go back to a regular phone... :p

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM
LG Dare...sweet phone. Just got one for my daughter.

Give it a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIqs9k6RvXs&fmt=18

TheStig
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
G1 has the best features, and keyboard. It's directly influenced from the sidekick which has the absolute best keyboard on a phone.

You clearly need to expand your horizons on qwerty keyboard phones. The sidekick is a horrific phone, sorry.

I have used the storm a few times now and I have a pretty easy time typing on it. I do like the click screen, it works well. The issue I have heard a lot with the iphone is that the phone works great but the coverage is terrible. Isnt that the point of a cellphone? To make calls? Not trying to iphone hate, i just think there are better things out there. I also think touch screens are a fad. Real buttons are still where its at. I think the offerings from HTC (diamond, diamond pro) are looking really interesting right now. Personally I think the g1 looks like an 80's calculator :)

rforsythe
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
The only thing that irritates me is the iTunes Genius software in the new version of iTunes, it takes for ever to load now and I haven't taken the time to see if it's a feature that can be disabled.

Yes it can. I don't have the Genius stuff turned on.

The issue I have heard a lot with the iphone is that the phone works great but the coverage is terrible.

Haven't had any coverage issues with it so far. I also haven't gone many places with it, but so far so good.

I also think touch screens are a fad. Real buttons are still where its at.

Having used both (several Blackberries for work, and my last phone was an LG eNv, all with real buttons vs my touchscreen iPhone now), I disagree with you. The touchscreen can do a lot more, it just takes a little getting used to. That said, I am having no trouble and type just as good on the touch as I do with "real keys".

I think the touchscreen is technologically better, it's just a personal preference thing.

TWISM
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I currently have a unlocked iPhone that I am using and I love it. I have used Treo's, RIM's, HTC's, etc...

Nothing IMO compares to the iPhone it's so fast and fluid and it rarely locks up. Everything just works well together and the App store is a great bonus.

I also like the touchscreen better than hard buttons. It's easy to be fast on the iphone.

iLike

Stuart Little
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
You don't need itunes to be your main syncer, I know you can use winamp and possibly WMP but I personally like itunes even though it's a bit of a memory hog

slayermd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I love the idea of having a touch screen to do most of the work, but it’s also nice to have a QWERTY pad too. That’s why I like the Fuze and G1. But T-Mobile is lazy and hasn’t rolled 3G out yet here so that’s a bummer. The Storm really intrigues me. I don’t think Blackberry would release a phone that doesn’t type well, so I trust that the Storm can and will type better then my Tilt and probably better then the iPhone.

I don’t think touch phones are a fad. The technology behind them will just get better, more efficient and cheaper.

HR636
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
You clearly need to expand your horizons on qwerty keyboard phones. The sidekick is a horrific phone, sorry.

I have used the storm a few times now and I have a pretty easy time typing on it. I do like the click screen, it works well. The issue I have heard a lot with the iphone is that the phone works great but the coverage is terrible. Isnt that the point of a cellphone? To make calls? Not trying to iphone hate, i just think there are better things out there. I also think touch screens are a fad. Real buttons are still where its at. I think the offerings from HTC (diamond, diamond pro) are looking really interesting right now. Personally I think the g1 looks like an 80's calculator :)

You clearly need to remove your ass from your head. The Sidekick has the BEST keyboard EVER on any phone in existence. There is no reason to argue about it. I have tried almost every phone from every carrier and none of them even come close.

The space between buttons, size of buttons, layout, ease of grip while typing etc all make it that much better than anything else. I can type close to 100WPM on mine with my eyes closed and hands behind my back, can you even get close to that on your touch screen piles of garbage? Maybe you don't really care, it doesn't matter. The G1 keyboard however is the next best thing to a Sidekick for the keyboard if you want to go the route of a smart phone.

slayermd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM
You clearly need to remove your ass from your head. The Sidekick has the BEST keyboard EVER on any phone in existence. There is no reason to argue about it. I have tried almost every phone from every carrier and none of them even come close.

The space between buttons, size of buttons, layout, ease of grip while typing etc all make it that much better than anything else. I can type close to 100WPM on mine with my eyes closed and hands behind my back, can you even get close to that on your touch screen piles of garbage? Maybe you don't really care, it doesn't matter. The G1 keyboard however is the next best thing to a Sidekick for the keyboard if you want to go the route of a smart phone.

This is all a personal preference. I can argue with you that the Tilt keyboard is better then the Sidekick, but the G1 is better then both. Unfortunately I cant make that argument with you because it is a personal deal.

txrc51fatboy
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM
i ditched my tmobile dash and got my G1 last week. so far its the coolest phone ive had. it flat out destroys my gfs iphone.

it has a few buggs, and a new OS upgrade was just developed. the apps are pretty cool. they keyboard is the best i have used.
sofar i give it a 9/10.

RyNo24
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I would stay away from Blackberrys. I had an old blackberry, and the blackberry pearl. They seemed problem prone, it would freeze up or get really slow a lot. Plus, there are not that many cool apps for them as you would like. Also, the quality seemed to lack on the pearl too, my ball clogged up with lint, the plastic felt cheep, etc.

I also own an ATT Tilt and am looking to get an iPhone in the near future.

My vote would be the iPhone, iPhones just outsold blackberrys, so you can't go wrong with the numbetrs lol.

slayermd
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM
They seems problem proned, and there are not that many apps for it as you would like.

Really? I was under the impression that there are tons of apps for BB. Ill have to look into that.

So far you guy have my mind on the iPhone........

Jason ON
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I love my BB Pearl, never had a problem but I know others have. I would like to see that new Storm or whatever they make for GSM, or an android phone.

RyNo24
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Blackberries are not too bad, but they are more business oriented, a lot of the main stream games do not work for the pearl, so you have to buy ones made for the pearl. All my friends at work that have the pearl also with they would have got a different phone. They have to pull their batteries a lot to reset them after they freeze or glitch.

salsashark
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
i ditched my tmobile dash and got my G1 last week. so far its the coolest phone ive had. it flat out destroys my gfs iphone.

it has a few buggs, and a new OS upgrade was just developed. the apps are pretty cool. they keyboard is the best i have used.
sofar i give it a 9/10.

If it was offered by AT&T I'd be all over the G1, but I'm not about to deal with TMobile again. That being said, be wary of the downloadable apps on the G1. While Apple is nazi-esque regarding their apps, Google is the exact opposite. They have a wide open development platform which will allow a lot of unskilled developers into the arena resulting in crappy apps... and this is coming from one of my friends who works for Google. Oh, and he kept his iPhone over a free G1... that says something to me.

txrc51fatboy
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:29 PM
the i phones are nice, but just so damn fragile. i am hell on phones, so far the g1 seems alot sturdier. although it hasnt hit the ground, yet.

i do research the apps before downloading, keeping up with androidcommunity.com usually has alerts to bogus apps

as far as T-mobile, i have had their service since they were voicestream. have never had an issue, we have 5 phones with them now and i have nothing bad to say. cheap also

RyNo24
Mon Oct 27th, 2008, 11:36 PM
The only thing I did not like about t-mobile is the fact that their signal is weak in a lot of areas. They had nice plans, but at my college I could not get service in most of the buildings. With AT&T I get at least 3 bars in all of the buildings.

UglykidJoe
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 07:11 AM
My phone is kind of cool, it rings when someone calls AND it shows me the number of the caller, technology is an incredible thing.

TheStig
Tue Oct 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I NEVER have blackberries returned...windows phones though...daily. My pearl has some issues but I have dropped it countless times, plus I use my cell much more than the standard person (I use about 8000 minutes a month). Having typed on both the storm and the iphone I would say speed wise they are pretty similar.

As for the blackberry being for business only?? Maybe 4 years ago. Tell me how a phone that has a 3.2 mp camera with photo edit functions, evdo rev a internet, and a lot more (cant mention all the other stuff yet haha) is a business device???? Heck I use my pearl for my daily mp3 player and while it isnt an ipod it does pretty dang well. Especially considering I can use my vznav on my bike as well.

Sorry I just sell these things for a living and of all the brands we carry blackberry sees the least issues of the smartphones. /rant

Xtremjeepn
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM

sofar i give it a 9/10.

I should have my G1 tomorrow. Have had a BB Pearl for the last 2 years. Pretty excited for the switch. (Tired of removing my battery all day long to make my BB work:turtle:)

Spinalhaven
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
personally...I'm going to pick up Iphone friday. after messing with them and actually enjoying them I love it.

I kept trying to find something that would do everything the Iphone would and kept coming back to the Iphone. that and the plan I want to use is cheaper on AT&T then it is on verizon if I was to get the storm.

so after all those years of shuning the Iphone. I'm buying one.

HR636
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
This is all a personal preference. I can argue with you that the Tilt keyboard is better then the Sidekick, but the G1 is better then both. Unfortunately I cant make that argument with you because it is a personal deal.

You can't argue that a Tilt keyboard is better because its buttons aren't separated, they lack any kind of grippy surface, and the phone is incredibly hard to grip and press the outside keys at the same time. I tried a t-mobile wing, which is the same basic phone as the tilt without the tilting screen, and I ditched it after 2 days because of these issues.

slayermd
Wed Oct 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
You can't argue that a Tilt keyboard is better because its buttons aren't separated, they lack any kind of grippy surface, and the phone is incredibly hard to grip and press the outside keys at the same time. I tried a t-mobile wing, which is the same basic phone as the tilt without the tilting screen, and I ditched it after 2 days because of these issues.

I KNOW!!! That was my point!

Its all personal preference.