PDA

View Full Version : I need new tires !

Kip
Mon Oct 21st, 2002, 12:58 PM
I'm looking for new tires. I want a high quality tire, one that provides the best traction in the corners. Not worried about how long they last, just want an excellent tire. Thanks.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 21st, 2002, 01:45 PM
Michelin H2's http://www.jontflesh.com/smile/thumb.gif

Kip
Mon Oct 21st, 2002, 04:01 PM

o.k., don't laugh.......my front is still good. Do people mix front and rear or should you always stay with a match set :roll:

Anonymous
Mon Oct 21st, 2002, 04:11 PM

o.k., don't laugh.......my front is still good. Do people mix front and rear or should you always stay with a match set :roll:

You can mix sets, but with modern high performance tires you should match them, since the profiles and characteristics of the tires are engineered to work with each other. I've heard of some scary stuff happening with mixed tires, other times it's fine.

As another tire, I'm using the michellin Pilot Sports now and love 'em, I'm getting pretty good wear from them and haven't slid 'em in a turn yet.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 21st, 2002, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't suggest mixing a rear H2 with the Shitstone....I mean Bridgestone BT011 that's on the front of your bike. The Michelins have a very steep profile (remember how it felt when you rode mybike) and the Shitstones have a more flat profile.

Kip
Tue Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies....looks like I'm buying a set.

Now for the second part......where's the best place to make a purchase at a good price ? :wink:

Thanks for helping.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the replies....looks like I'm buying a set.

Now for the second part......where's the best place to make a purchase at a good price ? :wink:

Thanks for helping.

If your planning on buying Michelins, go see Mark Schellinger at Vanmar Racing (http://www.vanmarracing.com/).

rocktboy
Tue Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:57 PM
I'm looking for new tires. I want a high quality tire, one that provides the best traction in the corners. Not worried about how long they last, just want an excellent tire. Thanks.

if you don't care about wear also consider d208 gp's. same price range as the h2's and probably similar performance.

Bryce
Tue Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:37 PM
go with the h2's and definatly talk to mark at vanmar he has good prices and a hell of alot of knowledge

Bryce MRA#418

fastducatirider
Tue Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:45 PM
if you really arent concerned about tire wear... i have sets of slicks i could sell you... both dunlops and michelins. ($100/set) hardly used (one race and practice at second creek) so probly less then 50 miles on them...

i will not be responsible if you get caught in the rain with them though.... :wink:

i personally would go with the michelin pilot s2 fronts and m2 rears, but i dont think i like the new front pilot profile. the old pilot race 1s are still available.... also think about the pirelli supercorsa (or metzeler renssport which is the same tire) more rounded profile, arguably the stickiest tire out there right now... (this coming from a big michelin fan) although in my experience, pirelli/metzelers have the same problem with cold that the pilots do. i had them at second creek on a chilly day, (high 50s) and they were not confidence inspiring... no huge slides, but it was always threatening....

as far as street tires go, i think the pilot sports are the way to go...

and i think discount motorcycle tire has the best prices currently...

-peter-

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:50 AM
H2's are Im sure are great but a bit pricey. Perhaps the Pilots Sports would be a good alternative. Or the M1's

Mixing tires....NO WAY!!!!

Kip
Wed Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:13 PM
Looks like I'm going to try the H2's at Van Mar's.....I appreciate all the input, very helpful :D .
Thanks for offering the slicks Peter, but I probably won't have much use for that type of tire.

Heading back to Louisiana for a little fishin'......see y'all around.
Kip.

Bryce
Tue Oct 29th, 2002, 08:49 PM
dion I'll have to let you ride my bike sometime and you tell me how the tires feel you may be suprised and also might hate me for making your tire expenses alot higher but there is a good reason racers use them

Bryce MRA# 418

Hozerking
Sat Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:24 PM
I run the pilot sports and they have been great so far. I bought a matched set but I put the rear on first and kept the d207 that came one the front when I got my bike. It workded fine for me for a while but my front forks started leaking and the bike handled like crap, so when I got that fixed I also had the new tire mounted. So in other words I can' really do a direct comparison but the pilot sports have worked great on my ride, I din't notice any seirously ill effects of having the 207 on the front for about 2k. Some bikes are more effected by the tires that are on them so that is a consideration, and so is cost. I ride on the street and I have noticed no ill effects on my 750 with the mix tire combo! I have a marginally heavy bike by some people's standards thought, it weights 500 or so wet so on a lighter bike you may notice a difference. But you can't go wrong with replacing both, if you can affor it!

-al