PDA

View Full Version : Deer vs. Bike- Morrison

motorep
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Somebody nailed a deer coming out of Morrison, towards Golden, around lunchtime today. It looked like a red VFR, was tucked behind the emergency vehicles so I didn't get a good look. Bike was up on two wheels, though. The deer was down for the count. Ambulance was there, I hope whoever the rider is will be ok.

pilot
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
That's not good. I know someone out riding on a red VFR (there are a lot of them) and I don't have my phone handy....

SamuraiX
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Fuckin deer! stay off the damn road you evil hooved bastards! Feel better Ric!

Think
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
They are ALL OVER Horsetooth.

chad23
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I hope the rider is doing well

Aracheon
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Fuckin deer! stay off the damn road you evil hooved bastards!

No shit.

I hope the rider is okay... :(

pilot
Sun Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Just got back from the hospital. Yep, it was Ric (for all that know him--he's the silent type, ha) Ric did well at the MRA events this year (#557). He took the championship in Sportsman--of course there were no deer on the track to slow him down. He also made his way into NGU and 0.

What is it with picking up broken bikes this week???

First Vance's BMW (the old Jeff Black motor) and poor Vance had a broken set of wrist bones out of that one.

Now, Ric, dammit. A deer jumped off the hill going up out of Morrison along the Red Rocks Hogback road. He and Christina played Superman and Wonder Woman for a 100 feet or so (without the pro landing). We got the bike, pieces and all, loaded into the hearse (trailer).

Congrats to Christina, by the way, she just got her license this past week. Man, what a way to start out the life-o-riding.

Gear, gear and more gear. The fact is that the helmets--Shoe/Aria, Areostitch rider suit, Held and JR gloves, boots and full JR leathers paid off.

Save for some broken wrist and fore arm bones con Vance style, they are both walking wounded. The deer is a different story. The VFR split it in half.

(I'll save you the details--similar to my crash pro-forma--with keeping it to this run-through).

Thanks also to the Ducati-Desmosedichi guy that stopped by to help. Apparently tonnes of riders went by and didn't stop (before the emergency crews got there). Also, the Morrison FD did a great job and the CSP officer was helpful in moving things over.

I guess it goes without saying...DEER.

eklew
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Damn Ric, heal up man!

Slo
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Ric, shame about the accident, heal up quickly, thankfully it wasn't much worse.

Sortarican
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Sorry to hear this but glad it wasn't worse, heal up quickly.
BTW, The DOW will let you keep the meat if you ask.
(Mmmmmmm Bruise Burger.)

Aracheon
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Holy shit... it was Ric!?

:(

Pilot, PMed you.

dirkterrell
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Damn Ric, very sorry to hear this. :( Glad you fared reasonably well. Let me know if you need anything, man, and I'll do everything I can to help.

Dirk

ZX Rider
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Damn !!!
That poor deer had no chance against Ric.
Heal up quickly man.
Really glad it wasn't worse.
Yeah, if I can help in any way let me know.

98rc46
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the well wishes and support! There are some great people on this board (their willingness to help out is the best aspect of the CSC in my mind).

A special thanks to the Morrison FD (amazing response), my brother who took time to travel down from the "republic" to help out, Hilary in the ER, and especially Pilot (who besides taking care of the bike recovery and the ride to the hospital took time to wash all the deer shit off the bike and gear and pick up lunch, hell he even set the coffee maker for the next morning).

Thanks again!

Ric

VFR
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Ohh man glad your ok....Heal up

For all those who questioned the VFR......see said split deer..

VFR, we go through the competition

dirkterrell
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Ohh man glad your ok....Heal up

For all those who questioned the VFR......see said split deer..

The VFR does it all. :)

Dirk

Aracheon
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The VFR does it all. :)

Dirk

I heart my VFR. :D

Sortarican
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM

The VFR does it all. :)Dirk

:lol:You meet the nicest people on a Honda.....unless you're Bambi's Mom.

ihavealegohead
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hey Ric, good that you are ok -- was that deer missing a chunk out of it's right hip ?

See if this piece of flesh and fir match up:

http://i38.tinypic.com/20p55aa.jpg

Fucking deer, let's go hunting !!!

Sortarican
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM

If we don't kill them they'll die!

TFOGGuys
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.ziplink.net/%7Elas/103_jimboshootsbear.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Nov 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Ric, good that you are ok -- was that deer missing a chunk out of it's right hip ?

See if this piece of flesh and fir match up:

http://i38.tinypic.com/20p55aa.jpg

Nah, that was a chunk outta Ric!:)

Sorry to hear it man, heal up fully and soon!

bikernoj
Mon Nov 10th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I've never met any of you personally, but that's my neck 'o the woods and I'm glad to hear both riders will be allright! After the rash of fatalities in the last couple months, it's good to hear an honest-to-goodness "gear saved my butt" story.

On the lighter side, it could have happened in March and put a big spoiler on the riding season!

I went out on Sat. up Morrison canyon (still clean, but a bit sandy near Kittredge), up Meyers/Parmalee Gulch and back down 285 (love the narrows!), and there were TONS of deer out & about! I passed about 5 small herds wandering around, and they thankfully kept their asses off the road. Evil deer!

Bugkiller1
Tue Nov 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Which is worse... a cop on the side of the road or a deer? In this case a deer for sure; glad to hear the deer got the short end of the stick.

MaddMatt
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hope you get a new bike out of it; don't know you, but get well soon & keep riding all year long

dirkterrell
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Ric, how's the healing going?

Dirk

98rc46
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Hey Ric, how's the healing going?

Dirk

Too slowly for me - the radius has a plate and there is a screw holding the lunate together.

I need to focus some attention on the VFR now.

dirkterrell
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Too slowly for me - the radius has a plate and there is a screw holding the lunate together.

I need to focus some attention on the VFR now.

Sorry to hear that you're not pleased with the progress. :( But getting that beauty of a bike back together should make you feel better. :)

Dirk

OldKneeDragger
Mon Nov 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Perhaps the greatest article of the year...

ALL DEER MUST DIE

http://www.alpineavalanche.com/articles/2008/11/13/news/opinion/opinion02.txt

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon

apehair
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I've created a permanent pucker mark on my seat from deer sightings. We have a pretty smart herd here in Perry Park. Then again, people drive nice and slow here in the neighborhood. But in Sept and Oct they're jumping all over Rt 105. In the Fall I don't drive the back roads after dark. At least in the daylight you can see them coming. Most of the time. A couple of months ago I hit the brakes hard when I saw a shadow in the field to my left. It was an elk. I stopped about 10 feet in front of it. It looked at me like, "wha-aat," and sauntered across the road. That might be one of the few cases that would justify laying it down if I couldn't stop in time. Slide under the guy and maybe survive.

Anyway, here's a link to a story about a guy who hit a deer driving his BMW but after he stopped, he couldn't find it anywhere....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbullas/sets/72157607363681635/

Rick