PDA

View Full Version : Plane looses wing and guy land it!?!?!?

konichd
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Don't know if its real but DAMN!

http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/08102703.html (http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/08102703.html)

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm gonna say that is fake. On a quick second look, it looked like I could see some artifacts of where the wing was painted out when the plane is still in the air.

I've seen competition R/C pilots pull that move off, but no one's life was in danger. They fly knife edge to the ground, flip it over and land. Just like the supposed full size just did. I think if that was real, the pilot would have bailed out.

RyNo24
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
The plane looked like an RC plane when it landed, then the camera "jumps" and its a real plane again. I call BS, I do not think a plane comming down that hard would come out that perfect, he landed the tail section a little hard. Also, the plane at the end looks CG, the wheels looked cartoony and the the foreground and background do not seems to blend right.

Fake.

Captain Obvious
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Vote fake.

Sortarican
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
The plane looked like an RC plane when it landed,...

+1
If a real plane hit that hard the landing gear would have disintegrated.

rforsythe
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Fake: http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/AVwebInsiderBlog_ViralVideo_KillaThrill_LostWingLa nding_199096-1.html

And Dean, pilot's aren't required to wear chutes in solo aerobatic flight by Federal Aviation Regulations. The IAC requires them to be worn when competing at events among other groups, but it isn't a federal legal mandate. Air show pilots don't have to wear them either. Granted most do as a normal thing, but bailing out requires you have it in the first place. ;)

There is a TRUE story of a pilot who nearly snapped the wing off, I believe during an air show. He heard popping noises and it started to fold up. He quickly figured out that if he flew inverted, it would fold back into position, but of course every time it flexed, it weakened. He flew his approach to land upside down, flipped the plane at the last second, and walked away from it. He was also noted as saying if he had been wearing a chute, he would have flown it out over open land where it could crash without hurting anyone, and bailed out.

Sortarican
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Souix City Iowa....best save ever.
(My boss was on that flight.)

skortch
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Fake. Look at the shadows on the ground after it lands. Physics and lighting are off a bit and it looks like the guy running at the end has a bit of greenscreen fringe around him. I'm guessing it's someones CG project at a 3D animation school.

rforsythe
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Souix City Iowa....best save ever.
(My boss was on that flight.)

You should read the speech one of the pilots gave recounting how the whole thing unfolded. I'll try to find the link to it... Amazing stuff!

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Fake: http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/AVwebInsiderBlog_ViralVideo_KillaThrill_LostWingLa nding_199096-1.html

And Dean, pilot's aren't required to wear chutes in solo aerobatic flight by Federal Aviation Regulations. The IAC requires them to be worn when competing at events among other groups, but it isn't a federal legal mandate. Air show pilots don't have to wear them either. Granted most do as a normal thing, but bailing out requires you have it in the first place. ;)

There is a TRUE story of a pilot who nearly snapped the wing off, I believe during an air show. He heard popping noises and it started to fold up. He quickly figured out that if he flew inverted, it would fold back into position, but of course every time it flexed, it weakened. He flew his approach to land upside down, flipped the plane at the last second, and walked away from it. He was also noted as saying if he had been wearing a chute, he would have flown it out over open land where it could crash without hurting anyone, and bailed out.No kidding, you have to have a chute to use it!! I have never seen a pilot take off to do aerobatics and not wear a chute. I'm sure it happens, it's just that everyone I know, wears a chute. I wasn't commenting on whether it's required or not.

There was a F-15 pilot who lost a wing and made it back with no problems. He didn't even know the wing was gone because of all the spray coming out of that side of the aircraft. He pulled it off because an F-15 has strakes. Basically, the strake provided so much lift that if flew almost normal.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
You should read the speech one of the pilots gave recounting how the whole thing unfolded. I'll try to find the link to it... Amazing stuff!Those were some creative mo-fo's. They slowed their decent by gunning the engines. That provided rotational force to try to raise the nose. Incredible bunch of pilots!!!

PROFLYER
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
fake, that would create a stall/flat spin followed by smash. I've done some crazy stuff in an extra and an RV-6 but that has to be fake.

pilot
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Oh man, totally real. Budget cuts have forced the airport to cut back on mowing of the grass. That's why the plane looks so small in it.

rforsythe
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Those were some creative mo-fo's. They slowed their decent by gunning the engines. That provided rotational force to try to raise the nose. Incredible bunch of pilots!!!

Not only that, but the jet was in a pitch cycle because they lost trim control. More or less like a roller coaster to hell.

Moveman
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Fake..

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Not only that, but the jet was in a pitch cycle because they lost trim control. More or less like a roller coaster to hell.
...and, if I remember correctly, a permanent right turn!!

A United instructor friend of mine (I fly R/C with) said that he prefers creativity to flight experience when taking on a new pilot. He uses the Sioux Falls incident as his proof.