PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out and giving to others...

mtnairlover
Sun Nov 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Got some clothes hanging in your closet waaaayyyyy in the back...kinda tucked behind all your nice new clothes? Have you been meaning to take care of all that "old" stuff and get it to Goodwill, or someplace so that you can have just a little extra room?

What about the cupboards in your kitchen? Got an extra can of pork'n beans that you meant to use for that last bbq you had, but forgot and now you just don't feel like using it? Is there anything else in your cupboards you don't see yourself using?

What about those old toys your kids (if you have kids) were playing with last winter? They're tucked away in those plastic bins, aren't they? You've been meaning to do something with them, haven't you?

There's an event coming up on Saturday, November 15th that can help you out with all those extra items just hanging out at your place and not being put to good use. It's the 9Cares Colorado Shares (http://www.9news.com/life/community/events/fooddrives/winter/collect.aspx) event. They'll run from 7am until 4pm and at many locations all over the Metro and Front Range area (http://www.9news.com/life/community/events/fooddrives/winter/). Make a day of it and donate and then ride later on...as long as the weather is cooperative of course, but then some of us ride the slopes...so it could be a win-win no matter which way you look at it.:)

DavidofColorado
Sun Nov 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Its true all of it. Get out of my head!!

Free bump.

64BonnieLass
Sun Nov 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you Cath. I have a bunch of clothes to give away. Most of it's pretty nice, I just grew out of them in one way or another.

Sometimes, people don't have clothes nice enough to even go to a job interview in. I will sure help where I can as I believe strongly in that.

Sometimes the smallest thing means soooooooo much to those less fortunate.

I will try and get it all together and get a bag to them.

Sully
Mon Nov 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for posting this Cath... :) It's a good reminder..

merlin
Mon Nov 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hrrmmmm- I probably have some stuff I could donate, but there's a small problem- I am going to be in Lincoln Nebraska, picking up my new bike on the 15th...

If someone who will be going to this is were to be in the Combat City area say, Thursday afternoon between 5 and 7 PM, I've got some stuff I could add to your donation, if you'd be willing to pick it up...

Merlyn

mtnairlover
Mon Nov 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
If someone who will be going to this is were to be in the Combat City area say, Thursday afternoon between 5 and 7 PM, I've got some stuff I could add to your donation, if you'd be willing to pick it up...

Merlyn

I might, could, possibly stop by on my way home from work. I work in Westminster and live in Loveland...sooo, Combat City ain't that much outta my way. Unless someone closer posts up, I'll need some particulars from you. Send me a PM.

frank2
Tue Nov 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Is the new bike a 600?

mtnairlover
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
bumpity

mtnairlover
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Just a "don't forget" reminder.

I stopped by Merlin's last night to pick up his donations.

Even though me and my kids aren't doing too well, we still have extra stuff that we don't use anymore. My youngest is still growing, so her clothes will go to Goodwill, or ARC if we drop off at the 9News truck at K.S. in Loveland. I'm gonna go shopping today as part of my weekly grocery trip...maybe could get a couple extra cans of stuff...it won't impact my budget too much.

Anyhoo, if you wanna do something fun, then consider stopping by the locations that 9News people will be at, like the Inverness one. Kathy Sabine, Adelle Arakawa, Becky Ditchfield and Ashton Altieri will be there. Oh and Adelle said there's gonna be some classic cars there, as well.

I guess there's gonna be themes at all 5 of the 9News locations...http://www.9news.com/life/community/events/fooddrives/winter/

mtnairlover
Sat Nov 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM
So in waking up late this morning, cuz someone turned down the heat in my house, leaving me cuddled up under several layers of blankies up to my neck...I've been slowly getting ready to take my things out to the 9News drop-off and watching the news and thought I'd ask this question...How many people are affected by the downturn in the economy here in CO? Actually, I wasn't given the complete numbers, but up in Larimer County from August to October the number of people that have gone through the doors at the food bank have gone from 9000, to just over 11,000. That's a huge increase...and that's just Larimer County.

I also learned that even if you don't have any things to give, even $1 will go a long way in feeding a family, because that $1 will buy 12 cans of food. Pretty amazing and so very needed.

Hope you all can get out there and give something....even if it's $1.:)

DeeStylez
Sat Nov 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Awesome...Any used winter clothing would be a good donation with the cold weather. Be surprised how many are without warm clothing.

mtnairlover
Sun Nov 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
9News has reported they hit a record for collecting food this year at 211 tons. That's just for the Metro area....that does not include all outlying areas that collected on Saturday. The giving spirit really came out on Saturday....http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=103935&catid=222

Here's a quote that kinda says it all...

"I give just because it's that time of the year for giving," said Chris Johnson, a resident of Fort Collins. "There's just that need right now with the economy, and we have so much already that it's really nothing to just take a few things out of my cupboard and give them to someone else who needs it more than we do."

I was walking around with this huge smile on my face yesterday after dropping off about 8 leaf bags full of clothes and shoes, as well as several bags of food.

Just as a reminder, if you haven't donated, it isn't too late. Colorado Food Banks can always use cash donations, too. And remember, $1 can buy 12 cans of food, or feed 4 families a meal.

People amaze me when things get tough.:)