PDA

View Full Version : Friday 11/21 Bike Night with the CSP

OldKneeDragger
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I have invited a representative of the Colorado State Highway Patrol to meet with us on Friday, November 21 (a week from this post) at our normal Friday night get together.

This will be our chance to get some tips on how to avoid problems like I ran into a couple of weeks ago. He was asked to keep it informal and limit any presentation to 10 minutes depending on reception. The focus will be on how to avoid miss-understandings when you are stopped by the police.

There will be no restrictions on questions or comments that anybody might want to make. Just realize that you may not get the answer you want. I have a few "issues" that I would like to hear his opinion of myself.

So it's setup for the "Pizza Time" where they have a room that they can put us in for a little anti-social SOCO meeting. Standard 7:00 PM time:

Pizza Time is located at Research and Union Blvd. in the Union Town Center near Albertson’s. We are in the northeast end of the shopping center just north of Summit Cleaners.

8794 N.Union Blvd,
Colorado Springs, CO, 80920
(Union Towne Center)

http://www.pizzatimecolorado.com/Portals/pt/images/location_map.jpg

Mental
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
In, Ron=The man

slattmattery
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm going to try and make it. Thanks for putting this all together.

y_merkle
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Mr. Merkle and I will try to make this one. Should be interesting!

Tipys
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I should be there

dallas
Wed Nov 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Epic bike night with OKD & the Fuzz..............I am in!!

#1Townie
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
dallas leave the leather at home beotch!!!!

zetaetatheta
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 06:48 AM
They're not gonna be serving warrants are they:shocked:

OldKneeDragger
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
They're not gonna be serving warrants are they:shocked:

Well, low life transplants should be careful when approaching the law in all cases :oops:

zetaetatheta
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Well, low life transplants should be careful when approaching the law in all cases :oops:
agreed:)

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Now you Southie remember to leave your Meth and sawed-off shotguns at home for this event.

GSXRJOHNNY
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm in! But it does feel like one of those sting operations to me...LOL!! Like you see on TV - Congradulations !!! You've won a big screen TV - come on down and pick it up!! I trust OKD, so I'll be there.... but.....:shocked:

MetaLord 9
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a good plan! I won't be able to make it down for this, but would someone mind taking notes & posting 'em up?

64BonnieLass
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:53 AM
... would someone mind taking notes & posting 'em up?

I was just about to type the same thing. I hope you all have a good event.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Ask them if it's it's cool to signal (hand and lights) to show you're pulling over, but to go a little ways till you can pull off a highway or twisty road to somewhere safer.

I've had cops get pissed and threaten to charge me with elluding even though I dropped my speed to nothing and signaled them by pointing ahead and such.

SLVRSURFR
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
[/quote]I'd make it if it were on a staurday nite.. :(

Tipys
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Ask them if it's it's cool to signal (hand and lights) to show you're pulling over, but to go a little ways till you can pull off a highway or twisty road to somewhere safer.

I've had cops get pissed and threaten to charge me with elluding even though I dropped my speed to nothing and signaled them by pointing ahead and such.

cops get mad at anyone that does that. even though its a safey factor

PharmerKyle
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hmmm... bicycling distance, so I only get to risk a BUI with the CSP.

Tipys
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hmmm... bicycling distance, so I only get to risk a BUI with the CSP.

DON'T DO IT you can get a DUI on anything with wheels and some without

PharmerKyle
Sat Nov 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Say, is there a maximum # of attendees?

I know a few DSers that might want in.

OldKneeDragger
Sat Nov 15th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Should be no problem, they told me that they could support up to 100 people at the Pizza Time (all though I don't know where). Bring them on :hump:

PharmerKyle
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Thurs Bump!

I think it's great that we'll have such a distinguished guest. I hope no one feels too intimidated by his presence. I copied the invite to another forum. See you all there.

OldKneeDragger
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I've had a few emails and phone calls with one of the troopers who will be at our meeting. There may be more than one as they also view this as a potentially positive meeting.

I was very forth coming in letting him know that this is NOT the group that hangs out at the gas station on Academy with the idea of a good time of showing how squidly you are.

Some of the questions that I presented to him are:

When being pulled over, is it acceptable to slow down, signal, and look for a "safe" place to get off the road before stopping? Some feel that this could be viewed as resisting arrest.
When stopped, is it appropriate to immediately shut the bike off and take your helmet off? Some think this could be viewed as a weapon?
Only in Colorado have I ever seen the standard operating procedure of a trooper rushing up behind a motorcycle without the red and blue lights running prior to pulling over somebody. This has happened to me several times and at night when it is dark you can not tell it is a police officer and is very scary not knowing if it's a drunk about to run you over or what. I presume that the thinking behind this is to capture the license plate number before the bike has a chance to "run". Most states will immediately turn on their red and blue lights when they begin pursuit. Is there really any evidence or study that shows the Colorado method is any better or safer?
What's up with all the camera equipped vehicles with the automatic license plate readers tied into a database? Is mobile computerized facial recognition next?
What is the duty of the State Police? On the back of the cars it states "first in traffic safety" which implies the most important thing is traffic control and there seems to be no limit to the jurisdiction within the state.

Please feel free to post up any other questions that you would like to give him some time to prepare for. Of course you are welcome to come up with anything during the dinner as well.

Just remember, this is not the time to show how much you hate the cops. I doubt if he cares and to be honest, I don't either. It will gain you nothing.

636chick
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a good plan! I won't be able to make it down for this, but would someone mind taking notes & posting 'em up?

I was just about to type the same thing. I hope you all have a good event.

Hi Terri how ya doin sweetie????

I will do my best to jot down the Q&A session for all the folks that can't make it, and get it posted up.

THe Bash's are in!!!!! I am looking forward to the meet and greet. I for one have the upmost respect for the men and women out there in what is a most dangerous job. I promise I will be on my best behavior :devious:.
As for Bash I solemly swear to sedate him heavily before we leave the house!!!!!!

Ron you have done an awesome job at putting this together and I hope that we all come away with a respect for each other.

I would love to see something along the lines of profiling addressed.

I'll try to pull it out of my brain into words sometimes that connection gets disconnected LOL. You know I have been pulled over in my car and been totally treated differently than I was when pulled over on my bike, for basically the same thing.

My question would be are we all being lumped into this group of hoodlums and basically guilty by association therfor a very bad attitude is generated from the start? How can that be corrected and overvcome on both sides???

Looking forward to tomorrow!!!!

Nick_Ninja
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'd duct tape my tag (car or bike) if I were you. Just so you don't make it onto 'the list'.

dallas
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I only have one question for the people of the law:

Does this thong make my ass look fat?

J/K, I will have on the chaps too, it is supposed to be cold.

636chick
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I only have one question for the people of the law:

Does this thong make my ass look fat?

J/K, I will have on the chaps too, it is supposed to be cold.

Should we be contacting your wife for the bail money????????????? Cause I am sure they have a charge for visual assault :shocked:

dallas
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
You know you are going to call me before you head out the door so we can coordinate outfits. You always do.......

brete
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for setting up the info and meeting night. I'll be there.

PharmerKyle
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Our guests gave a good presentation and were very professional. Most of the tips were about how the Troopers are trained. It is, unfortunately, State policy that they zoom up quick behind a bike to get a picture of the plate. They suggest slowing or putting on signals if it seems intimidating. Our speakers also covered behaviors to put the Trooper at ease once pulled over. They were very clear when they spoke of either policy or personal preference. Not all Troopers will react the same way to the same situation, so when in doubt, ask before doing anything. They also confirmed the myth that Troopers are trained to have made a decision to cite before exiting their vehicle.

Mental
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM
Very enjoyable, they even brought a Trooper who rides.

One of the things they mentioned is the trend of how a lot of us mount our plates. Green on a white background actually doesn't stand out (hence the need to get a picture of the plate), combine that with a small motorcycle plate and they are already at a disadvantage, then a lot of us get rid of the ugly original fender and mount it higher and at an angle, exaggerating the problem.

Of course there are those out there who flip up the plate and run. One of the things he mentioned was, if they see a crease in your plate (and they look) you are already setting yourself up for a bad day.

Brat
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
One of the things he mentioned was, if they see a crease in your plate (and they look) you are already setting yourself up for a bad day.
lol... a crease huh..? i wonder if thats a state patrol thing. ima ask a ftn cop if he does the same thing. profile bc of a crease in the plate....

Bashed
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
My take on the meet:

Not all officers are going to say and do the same thing,
they are as individual as the people they pull over.

The faster you pull over and non threating you are when
you do get yanked will help, but is no gaurentee.

The State Patrol do profile sportbikers, expecially in
the Springs ,due to the large # of riders that flee in
this town as opposed to other cities.

A part of his speal was on sportbikers fleeing in town
when caught doing illeagal actions, and not being able
to read thier plates and or creased.

All the sportbikers in this town are lumped in together
due to the actions of primarally one group, the shell boys.

Thanks asshats.

OldKneeDragger
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it was fun and I personally was impressed that they sent the top dog District Commander and a District Seargant to meet with us. I guess my email really accomplished something as the trooper that pulled me over was repremanded for some of the things he said to me.

The discussion was very open and honest. I don't think anybody held back and there was no unexpected complications. (Tipsy was smart not to ride and Dallas failed to show.) Surely they ran all the license plates in the parking lot before they left...

Of all the discussions, I still lost on my major gripe. I understand the reason why the troopers will rush up behind you to get the license plate but I strongly disagree with the tactic and think there are better ways to do that. You don't have to close at a high rate of speed and then break just feet from a bike so you can get the plate. I argued my point and lost so now I will just bitch.

I did send them a thank you note for following up with me and for taking the initiative to accept my invitation to our bike night. I think it might be fun to invite them to one of the track days as well next summer...

Later... OKD

Mental
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
...I did send them a thank you note for following up with me and for taking the initiative to accept my invitation to our bike night...

Classy. Good form

...I think it might be fun to invite them to one of the track days as well next summer...

Later... OKD

Definetly, I talked with the Sgt and he seemed interested in a dual sport ride and a track day. We migt get in trouble with his missus, but I bet he'd like it.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, it was fun and I personally was impressed that they sent the top dog District Commander and a District Seargant to meet with us. I guess my email really accomplished something as the trooper that pulled me over was repremanded for some of the things he said to me.

The discussion was very open and honest. I don't think anybody held back and there was no unexpected complications. (Tipsy was smart not to ride and Dallas failed to show.) Surely they ran all the license plates in the parking lot before they left...

Of all the discussions, I still lost on my major gripe. I understand the reason why the troopers will rush up behind you to get the license plate but I strongly disagree with the tactic and think there are better ways to do that. You don't have to close at a high rate of speed and then break just feet from a bike so you can get the plate. I argued my point and lost so now I will just bitch.

I did send them a thank you note for following up with me and for taking the initiative to accept my invitation to our bike night. I think it might be fun to invite them to one of the track days as well next summer...

Later... OKD

OKD -- I applaud you for your initiative to develop a positive communication link between the CSP and the sportbike community as I would fail miserably at this endeavor. My past relationships with the authorities prevents me from keeping an open mind in discussions of this nature. You are a dedicated ambassador to the sportbike community. :up:

SLVRSURFR
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
OKD -- I applaud you for your initiative to develop a positive communication link between the CSP and the sportbike community as I would fail miserably at this endeavor. My past relationships with the authorities prevents me from keeping an open mind in discussions of this nature. You are a dedicated ambassador to the sportbike community. :up:

My past "Relationships" with ole Johnny leaves me just as uneasy as you, when it comes to looking forward to the next discussion i have with whoever the Saint is that pulls me over .. But hey, Thats them out there doing their job, and thats me out there trying not to get caught! LOL!