PDA

View Full Version : Requireed 3 month Civil Service for every American

Devaclis
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Like that? I have no problem with it. I think it should be longer than 3 months tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0B7dOQwKm0&feature=related

Devaclis
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Oh, before you start to argue incorrectly, Civil Service is NOT Military Service.

t_jolt
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well im a strong believer in required military service... so that should state my answer

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Dana's only in favor of it because there's an exemption for the retarded.

MetaLord 9
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I think it's a good idea, but with required civil service I think you'll see a demand for health care, workman's comp, and considerable compensation. For instance, if you get hurt during your civil service and unable to perform your normal job duties then you would want health care to heal you, workman's comp to make you whole, and, even without getting hurt, you would want to make enough money to continue living in the manner to which you've become accustomed. It's a little more involved than jury duty, but I think the idea's not entirely flawed.

Devaclis
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM
O' is talking about supplementing college for those who participate

salsashark
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Service guarantees citizenship! Would you like to know more?

http://www.celluloid-dreams.de/content/images/kritiken-filmbilder/starship-troopers-2/starship-troopers-2-1.jpg

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
O' is talking about supplementing college for those who participate

I was going to say, make it a prerequisite for a govt. guaranteed student loan.
3 years civil service get's you something close to GI Bill education grant.

pauliep
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Well im a strong believer in required military service... so that should state my answer

+1

give me reasons why not?

salsashark
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I was going to say, make it a prerequisite for a govt. guaranteed student loan.
3 years civil service get's you something close to GI Bill education grant.

I would agree with that... I had to do 20 hours of community service in order to graduate high school. While it's a small amount compared to 3 months... or 3 years, it certainly didn't hurt me.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Service guarantees citizenship! Would you like to know more?

Sir? Is this gonna be a standup fight or another bug hunt?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/2905dominoway/aliens-hudson.jpg

MetaLord 9
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Can't argue here! Soon as my health lets me, I'm ready to do my part.

Service, both military and civil, is another way for people to gain another stake in our country.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Can't argue here! Soon as my health lets me, I'm ready to do my part..

As what? A lab chimp?

dirkterrell
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Man—every man—is an end in himself, not a means to the ends of others; he must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself; he must work for his rational self-interest, with the achievement of his own happiness as the highest moral purpose of his life. --Ayn Rand

Dirk

salsashark
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Sir? Is this gonna be a standup fight or another bug hunt?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/2905dominoway/aliens-hudson.jpg

http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/a_001AlMatthews.jpg

Secure that shit Hudson!

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Secure that shit Hudson!

Game over man!

Bueller
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:32 PM
+1

give me reasons why not?
Because I absolutely do not agree with what the military is doing in Iraq and for the most part I don't believe we should be in most the places we are killing people and occupying countries. Mandatory service would force people into situations they should not be forced into. A gung ho military volunteer is one thing but drafting people into combat if there is not an immediate and emanate danger to this country is bull shit.
Besides the point the rich/connected would still buy their way out or into preferential service means that it wouldn't effect every one the same.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
..Besides the point the rich/connected would still buy their way out or into preferential service means that it wouldn't effect every one the same.

That would never happen in this country.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/3/4/bush_pilot_button.jpg

Devaclis
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Again, this is not military service. This is civil service, like a mailman.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Again, this is not military service. This is civil service, like a mailman.

I think Bueller was commenting on the manditory military posts not the civil service.
Though why he's worried I don't know. The military doesn't take (total) Tards.

Captain Obvious
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Since I feel we should have 2 years mandatory military service, I hav eno issues with 3 months (or more) civil.

Bueller
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I think Bueller was commenting on the manditory military posts not the civil service.
Though why he's worried I don't know. The military doesn't take (total) Tards.
Indeed I was addressing Paulie's statement about military, and Jeff are you sure about the tards? I am not worried because they already had their chance at me and passed. I am pretty sure they don't want a fossil brigade so I am off the hook. :lol:

ghostrider_9
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Just adding my $.02 based of of personal observation . . .

I completely agree with the concept that by having a person join the service they have a new found appreciation for the rights and freedoms that we enjoy. I have seen it happen time and time again. It is a great thing. I believe the appropriate quote is: "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know." Truer words have not been spoken.

With that said, I have also had the opportunity to work with many different military forces around the world. Some of the militaries I have worked with have what is called "conscriptual service". There is a huge difference in the abilities of an all volunteer force and one that is required to be there. Given a choice, I would much rather work with a military that wants to be there, rather than one that is forced to be there. So, although the theory that we would have an overall better appreciation for our country by having a required service is a valid one, it's application leaves something to be desired.

Personally, I like the all volunteer force we have. At least I know that the men and women that are there, want to be there!

That's just my $.02

Sean
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:03 PM
+1
give me reasons why not?It's not for everyone. Being in a liberal arts field and in higher education, I have many specific examples of people who have extraordinary talents that have been, and would be hindered by, forced military duty. Without cluttering up the post I would be happy to pm them to you. And this dealing with specific examples, of good friends, from other countries who have mandatory military service.

Dirk:up:

Again, this is not military service. This is civil service, like a mailman.Even as civil service (and not basing an opposition against it) What might be the repercussions? Using mailman as an example, while not trying to be judgmental about the occupation you chose; would this potentially be taking jobs away from other americans?

Personally, I like the all volunteer force we have. At least I know that the men and women that are there, want to be there! +1 I agree completely. Marc! And we have a fine group of people protecting us :up:

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm not opposed to contributing 3 months somehow.

zetaetatheta
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Peace Corps
America Corps
Marine Corps

Doesn't make any difference to me, one should work for the benefits of others at sometime in their lives, preferably younger where lessons can be learned about duty and honor over self indulgence. Just my opinion. Btw both of my children will attend college and do military service or peace/america corps, just as their parents did. They know and accept this.

pauliep
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Learned everything I needed to know in the Corps...
http://www.ugo.com/filmtv/top11-classicrock/images/fullmetaljacket.jpg
http://img.blogcu.com/uploads/dnnnz_Full-metal-jacket.jpg
lol

Snowman
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I do not see any reason why this wouldn’t work, as long as there is was the choice to serve. I do not believe it would work if it was mandatory though. Forcing people into places they would rater not be would not make them very reliable and could cause a host of other issues.

I have seen this first hand in Antarctica. Even though people have chosen to go there after about three months of isolation, people get to end of their ropes allot quicker. There is an increased amount of drinking and dangerous activities do to the boredom, routine, long hours and fatigue. By the end, they are ready to be anywhere but on station.

In addition, you should see the people that winter over for 8 months. They can’t get to a warm spot on the planet fast enough.

DFab
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Personally, I like the all volunteer force we have. At least I know that the men and women that are there, want to be there!There's quite a few people who have been stop-lossed into continued service that would not be in the military otherwise. Plus there's people who signed up to be weekend warriors in the National Guard, and then were sent to Iraq/Afghanistan for multiple tours. I doubt that's what they had in mind when they signed up.

I don't agree with any sort of required service, but tying service to cheap loans or grants for college or other benefits is a good idea. Forced servitude is just not cool.