PDA

View Full Version : Texan looking for CO Ride Tips

bsquared
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Something to chew on...I'm a Houstonian looking forward to a Spring ride (late April, early May) through NM into CO; will be my rookie ride into CO on a bike; looking @ staying S of 70; thinking about coming up thru Alamosa (have to get to Alamosa...don't ask), taking the Independence Pass Loop N up 285 to Fairplay, 9 to to Frisco, S down 24 thru Leadville, W across 82 thru Aspen, S down 133 toward 50, 50 W to Montrose, Montrose down to Durango, E to Pagosa & then S thru NM back toward TX. Any thoughts about whether this is a good route, a messed up route, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Also, where to stop & smell, how many days to alot.... Will be on a BMW K12RS (is 130 hp shaft drive a sportbike?) & like to make good time, but I'm used to long sweepers in TX, not so much hairpins. Thanks.

asp_125
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Independence Pass is usually closed till Memorial Day. Other than that it's a good loop that will give you a sampling of hairpins and high speed sweepers. Montrose to Durango over Red Mtn Pass is technical and awesome. I've heard the road from Pagosa down thru Chama and Taos is pretty nice too.

Jim_Vess
Thu Nov 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
In late April and early May be prepared for snow and black ice at the higher elevations (Leadville, for example).

As stated above, Independence Pass is closed until Memorial Day or later, but the rest of your route is a nice one.

These links will give you more info on some of the roads on your route:
http://www.motorcycleroads.us./states/co.html
http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/RockyMtn/CO/CO_index.htm

Enjoy your trip.

bsquared
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys...especially for the heads up on closures & the ice & snow reminders...I tend to forget about those things down here in Houston.

Snowman
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Given the fact you are a admitted Texan, we are obligated by law to tell you that all the roads mentioned in your post will be under at least three feet of snow and ice and you will be better off staying in Texas… :)

However, if you would like to still visit our state we suggest that you clam a different nationality, something like Canadian.
:canuck:

Nick_Ninja
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Given the fact you are a admitted Texan, we are obligated by law to tell you that all the roads mentioned in your post will be under at least three feet of snow and ice and you will be better off staying in Texas… :)

We suggest that if you would like to still visit our state you clam a different nationality, something like Canadian. :canuck:

:imwithstupid:

Riders from RED states need to pay a BIG road tax too.

zetaetatheta
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Just stay west of I-25--it's all good.

Clovis
Sun Nov 16th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I was in Houston a few years ago for a funeral... super hot and humid and it was late October =P

Personally I'd recommend a May-June timeframe as if you're looking to hit up the mountains in the Spring, its going to be cold. If you still go, just bring some good cold weather gear and you should do fine (I made that mistake earlier this year - we went from 29degrees to a high of 85+ in Arizona and then back to freezing again, heh.

-Clov

bizzo
Tue Nov 18th, 2008, 06:29 AM
an admitted texan :P

im from san antonio and proud of it.

hey good luck on your trip!

bsquared
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Some mixed responses to being a Texan...I guess I will have to fly the Lone Star colors when I cruise Colorado :).

JohnEffinK
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I just moved back to Colorado Springs from Austin.

When you finalize your plans, give a shout - post your dates and route.

Might be able to link up and ride together for at least a portion of your trip.

John

dirkterrell
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
In late April and early May be prepared for snow and black ice at the higher elevations (Leadville, for example).

Yeah, that time of the year you'd better be prepared for snow and ice even at low elevations. That's the time of the year when the weather can go from one extreme to the other pretty quickly so make sure you can deal with it.

Dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:17 PM
:imwithstupid:

Riders from RED states need to pay a BIG road tax too.
Spoken like a true Democrat!:)

bsquared
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
...Houstonian looking forward to a Spring ride (late April, early May) through NM into CO...

Ok, the Spring plans for my NM/CO trip got sidetracked, but now have a buddy on board to make the trip the week of Labor Day (Sept 4 - 10); any help with what kind of road conditions to expect would be appreciated. What are chances of higher elevation passes being closed that weeek? What about chances of snow? I'm thinking it's too early, but it's been hitting 100s daily down here in Houston & can't even conjure up the possibility of any place being cold right now. Thanks.

Mother Goose
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM
All of the passes should still be open, and nice. I don't think we've even hit 100 in Denver yet, maybe one day we did, but it's been 80s-90s most of the summer. Up where you'll be, it will be a nice change for you. Let us know when you're headed this way, like someone else said before, we could get a group to come meet you and do some of your ride.

asp_125
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Be prepared for motorhome/tourista suckage on Labor day weekend. Try taking secondary highways and watch your speed on that weekend. During the week it's wide open. All the high country roads are open and no chances of snow (except maybe the tops of Mt Evans or Pikes Peak). After heavy rains watch for sand from runoffs and washouts along lightly traveled twisties.

MetaLord 9
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
In addition to the possible road closures & snow/icy conditions, watch for sand, mag chloride, and generally gravelly road conditions throughout. April/May's a crapshoot weather wise and I'd prepare for the worst. Remember, all of the ski resorts are still open through the middle of April, so expect the conditions to be more conducive to skiing than riding. If you can nab some heated grips & weather proof pants (i.e. snow pants) that might help make the ride more comfy. Dunno how tight of a turn you consider a "hairpin" to be vs. a "sweeper," you'll definately find yourself in turns ranging from 15mph to 70mph.

longrider
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
The week after labor day is when I usually take vacation and I have only caught snow once, but that was in the Canadian Rockies stretching down into Glacier national park in Montana. As already said, I wold stay out of the mountains until Tuesday due to holiday traffic.

asp_125
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
... As already said, I wold stay out of the mountains until Tuesday due to holiday traffic.

Actually the mountains (away from tourist spots) is a great place to ride. Just be prepared for gawkers and slow traffic, and stay off main routes that folks use to get to/from big cities.

http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

bsquared
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Labor Day Week is looking good for my trip:)...I think I can get to Montrose or Hotchkiss end of Day 3 & then take a couple of day trips out of a base around there...maybe Independence Pass to the east one day then 141 & 145 (Whitewater to Naturita) another day & then thru Durango heading south toward NM & TX after that...maybe take in Mesa Verde?

Any thoughts on where to stay (camp) around Montrose or Hotchkiss (thinking Black Canyon) & roads in the area appreciated; also, this is Labor Day weekend & not sure how to gauge holiday weekend traffic.

Thanks ahead.

longrider
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
You have some good rides planned!! I cant help on the camping as I like a soft bed and shower after a hard day of riding (hotel) but there is plenty of camping available in that area. Ihave ridden 141 and am ready to do it again, I didn't do 145 but instead headed west at Naturita into Utah but that wasn't so great so i will probably try 145 next time. 141 to 145, 145 to Cortez, 160 east to Durango and then 550 back to Montrose would be a great full day loop. Enjoy!!

asp_125
Fri Aug 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Montrose is a good base from which to explore. North over the Grand Mesa and Grand Junction is a nice loop. I'll be riding that in Sept. Black Canyon (North or South Rim), Cottonwood Pass over to Aspen and Independence is a good ride. You will have fun doing the Million Dollar highway to Durango. Of all the rides I think Durango will have the most traffic that weekend.