PDA

View Full Version : The ride in today

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Was awesome except for....................

Fucking Colorado drivers. Oooh! Look! White stuff!! I must drive erratically and either waaaay over or waaaaay under the limit. I saw 3 wrecks on my 8 mile ride in. All of them were easily avoided. The roads were not slick nor was visibility an issue (YAY thumb squeegee!! )

The only slick conditions, for me, were in the tech center approaching my office. It was a little squirly going up a couple of the hills but the bike did pretty well.

My gear was pretty warm too. Thermals top and bottom, jeans, long sleeve shirt, jacket liner,leather jacket, balaclava, new HJC snowmobile gloves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Storm-Glove-Red-t.gif

Piicked up a set of HJC Storm gloves from www.denniskirk.com (http://www.denniskirk.com). They rock in the cold, are not bulky, are nice and warm, fit well, have a built in thumb squeegee, and were CHEAP!!!

I tried to film the ride in but my lense froze up before I got out of my neighborhood :(

Sully
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
YOU ARE CRAZY !!!!! Be safe out there meng !

And yes, Colorado drivers are STOOOOOOPID !... :321: this is for the dumba$$ who did a U-turn right in front of me last night... Fucktard !

McVaaahhh
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Be safe out there Dana.

The main reason I would never ride in these conditions (other than I hate the fuggin cold) is I'd be paranoid about the retards out there when the roads are not 100% perfect.

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, the other drivers are what normally pull me off the road and into a car. I have 3 routes I take to work and vary them based on condition and traffic. Hell, least year I rode the sidewalk all the way down University from County Line to Belleview just to stay out of traffic. The sidewalks were actually clear and salted and the roads were covered hahaha

Sully
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
:lol: nice...... were you plowing down the grannies with their walkers on the sidewalk ?

GregsGSXR
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
The Colorado drivers are fine. There just aren't that many of us. It is all the idiots who have moved here from somewhere else and cant drive in Colorado conditions.

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
There were NO grannies out that day. It was about 11 degrees out and snowing like a mother father!!! I remember getting to work and my bike temp was showing 122 LOL

konichd
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
P-locks FTW!

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Dude, David, I need that sign :)

Sortarican
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM
..I must drive erratically and either waaaay over or waaaaay under the limit....

... It was a little squirly going up a couple of the hills but the bike did pretty well....

Like George Carlin said:
"Anyone that drives slower than you is an idiot, anyone that drives faster than you is a maniac!

BTW,
How are the new tires? (Forgot the brand)
A little better than pure sports?

.... Hell, least year I rode the sidewalk all the way down University from County Line to Belleview just to stay out of traffic.....

LOL, I've riden the sidewalk on that stretch before too (Orchard to Belleview).
Except I did it in good weather just to bypass traffic.

Sortarican
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM
P-locks FTW!

Polacks.......morons......six of one, half dozen the other.

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have a Dunlop Roadsmart on the front and it is doing VERY well. I still have a 208 on the back but that will be replaced shortly. It was a bit slick today but I did do a burnout at University and Dry Creek to heat it up a bit :)

I do not think it matters a whole lot what kind of tire you are on when it is really cold and slushy/icy (unless it is a studded tire). In my experience it has more to do with how you ride. Give yourself a LOT of room and be as smooth as you can in every aspect of riding (shifting, cornering, accelerating, breaking). I will also play with the bike a lot when there is light traffic to see what it's limits of traction are and how it handles in different conditions. Try to keep the surprises to a minimum.

I will say that being a little bit crazy and having great insurance also help a lot. I am not worried about dumping the bike, just worried about not having a bike to ride this winter if I DO dump it.

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Polacks.......morons......five of one, bakers dozen the other.

fixed for the troof!!

Bueller
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Was awesome except for....................

Fucking Colorado drivers. Oooh! Look! White stuff!! I must drive erratically and either waaaay over or waaaaay under the limit.

And yes, Colorado drivers are STOOOOOOPID !... :321: this is for the dumba$$ who did a U-turn right in front of me last night... Fucktard !
You all came from somewhere else and brought the rest of the country's fucked up driving skills and dumped it on us and then somehow we are the bad drivers?

The Colorado drivers are fine. There just aren't that many of us. It is all the idiots who have moved here from somewhere else and cant drive in Colorado conditions.
Indeed!

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
You all came from somewhere else and brought the rest of the country's fucked up driving skills and dumped it on us and then somehow we are the bad drivers?

Indeed!

I did not say CO Natives, just CO drivers in general :)

I grew up in the snow and ice, but I am not from 'round these here parts. The snow here is minimal compared to the North East. Lake Effect Snow FTL:( But we learned how to drive in that shit. Here, 3 flakes = school closing, car wrecks, emergency shutdowns, GETOUTTHEMAGCHLORIDEOHNOITISSNOWING!!!!

Nick_Ninja
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I did not say CO Natives, just CO drivers in general :)

I grew up in the snow and ice, but I am not from 'round these here parts. The snow here is minimal compared to the North East. Lake Effect Snow FTL:( But we learned how to drive in that shit. Here, 3 flakes = school closing, car wrecks, emergency shutdowns, GETOUTTHEMAGCHLORIDEOHNOITISSNOWING!!!!

Salt & sand was waaay better than MgCl26H2O

It puts the rust on my Pioneer tags.

TFOGGuys
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
+1 on the graduates of the Chicken Little School of Winter Driving :banghead:

I drove today, because the moisture in the air apparently causes neural corrosion in most driver's brains, causing them to crash into the nearest other vehicle/guardrail/light pole/bridge abutment/what the hell ever. WTF ever happened to Driver's Ed?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sortarican
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
....I grew up in the snow and ice..... The snow here is minimal compared to the North East. Lake Effect Snow FTL:( But we learned how to drive in that shit...

+1
Colorado drivers just THINK they know how to winter drive.
Granted they're better than the Texans and Californians, but I spent 1/3 of my life in the rust belt and 2/3's here.
I'd put an 80 year old rust belt native in an rear wheel drive Ford POS up against
a Colorado housewife in an SUV land yacht any winters day.

MetaLord 9
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah I got out onto the roads in the car and just went "Fuck, I shoulda ridden today." It was only wet. I saw two patches of slush all the way in. Of course people were driving with their heads up their asses too. If you're getting passed by a damn mustang, the weather's not that bad & you're going to fucking slow. /rant.

rforsythe
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
The first couple snows weed out the weak and stupid, causing them to crash. Things will get better. :)

puckstr
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Dana you so crazy.

Be carefull.

Sully
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Indeed!

Uhhhh no Bueller :slap:.. I'm a native and know how to frikken drive... It's the transplants that don't know what the fuck is up... seriously !... kthxbye... :lol:

dm_gsxr
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I agree. It was a pretty nice ride in this morning. With the wind blowing and pushing the bike around it was a bit puckering at some of the wetter looking spots but there wasn't a bit of sliding.

With the gerbings heated gloves and jacket liner, I was toasty warm :)

Carl

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM
If I had a longer commute I would get the heated gear. I have not had the need just yet. No wind down there today which is good. It actually looks like the roads are drying up in the tech Center.

Gainer
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Colorado drivers just THINK they know how to winter drive. Granted they're better than the Texans and Californians, but I spent 1/3 of my life in the rust belt and 2/3's here. I'd put an 80 year old rust belt native in an rear wheel drive Ford POS up against a Colorado housewife in an SUV land yacht any winters day.

+1
I am right there with you! I grew up learning how to drive through Michigan winters in a rear wheel drive POS. I just thought you were supposed to go down the road sideways like that.

I would love to see some of these drivers take on a winter rush hour in Detroit!!!! Most of their faces would end up the same color as the snow.

Sully
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM
uhhh yeah you're good right up until you lock your keys in the trunk.... :lol:

Devaclis
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM

ooooh! Snowned!!!

Gainer
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Ouch!!!

Sully
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
..... or..... running on fumes......:p

Gainer
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
..... or..... running on fumes......:p

Yeah, yeah!!!! Anyway...I am glad you made into work safely today Dana.

dm_gsxr
Fri Nov 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM
If I had a longer commute I would get the heated gear. I have not had the need just yet. No wind down there today which is good. It actually looks like the roads are drying up in the tech Center.

Yea, the roads were dry up here. A little chilly and windy but dry.

Carl