PDA

View Full Version : Painting the GSXR750

Midget Hellion
Mon Nov 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have any shops they would recommend?

I have the compressor and sprayer, but no booth to do the work, so I am thinking about going to a professional.

What spawned all this...

Well I was filling up the bike, the Venturi valve didn't work and I wasn't watching. (my bad) Gas spilled on the tank, which was a pale yellow and not the true Suzuki yellow. I washed it off and a lot of the pale paint came off to. Apparently my bike was repainted even though the previous owner said now. They lied about a few things so far. :( Anyway, log story short I want to get back to stock colors.

D Berns R6
Mon Nov 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
My dad at PV Motosports can do it. He has done some CSC'ers bikes as well as some race bikes. His work is amazing as he does this for a living. Let me know if your interested. Thanks!

Derek

Midget Hellion
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Anyone else have any good shops?

I can tell after the gas spill that the original yellow is underneath the pale yellow on there now. Anyone know a good way to remove the top layers of paint and get to the original layer on both the plastic and tank?

DBERNS, if you read this, shoot me an answer to the PM, would love more info.

jimwallace
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
lacquer thinner will take it off

Midget Hellion
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
lacquer thinner will take it off

Would it take all the paint off though or just the apparently "cheap" crap that was put on? It would damage the plastics right?

D Berns R6
Thu Nov 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
DBERNS, if you read this, shoot me an answer to the PM, would love more info.

done...

thanks!

jimwallace
Fri Nov 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM
all it should take off is the cheap crap.....unless it is all cheap crap. lacquer thinner will not hurt clear coat or single stage if it is cured.

Midget Hellion
Sat Nov 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
all it should take off is the cheap crap.....unless it is all cheap crap. lacquer thinner will not hurt clear coat or single stage if it is cured.

Good tip, I will try it while I make a decision on paint. I know that when I used paint cleaner and polish it actually took a bit off also. I'll give it a whirl.

jah
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 06:16 AM
the garage or whatever area will need to be >70deg maybe be or 8-12hrs after you paint. the stuff is very toxic while this is happening too so drag it in the house, maybe not.