PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded sand

macvtr
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Just in case anyone is interested, I rode Buckhorn - Stove Prairie- Poudre Tuesday afternoon and the upper part has a lot of sand and gravel. Poudre Canyon seems pretty good, at least below cty rd 27.
Caught a chopper and a CBR that were riding together and there was too much sand to get by comfortably.

See y'all at Full Throttle Bike Night.

Sortarican
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
'Tis the season for sure.
No more clean pavement till spring.:(

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Went to Estes and back Sunday evening. 34 to Estes was fine, except it looked like they'd used the Mag Chloride on it, so I was careful with my pace. Glen Haven was more of the same, AND some sand, until about 1/2 way down from the hairpins when the sand cleared up but I still saw the M/C residue.

Don't really know how much the M/C residue negatively affects traction......and don't really WANT to find out. Be careful out there guys/gals.

chad23
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Don't really know how much the M/C residue negatively affects traction......and don't really WANT to find out. Be careful out there guys/gals.
that is a great question does anyone know the answer. What is the motorcycles traction with M/C on the roads?

utsv650
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
its like oil to my bike tires

asp_125
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Mag Chloride is not fun. Feels like cold tires on a rainy day. Greasy feel that takes a couple days to go away.

BigE
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Yep, the Mag Chloride is like lubricant, no good for motos. Really, really watch sealcoated parking lots that have been treated or pulling into them after riding on treated roads in cold temps.

FWIW, Rist/Buckhorn usually has sandy spots all year long, always has had. Between the sand, cows on the road (along with their waste products), cattle guards and deer...let's just say this a reminder to keep on your toes to stay on your wheels :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Nov 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Mag Chloride is not fun. Feels like cold tires on a rainy day. Greasy feel that takes a couple days to go away.
Yeah, it has always felt a little.....iffy? Better safe than sorry.

FZRguy
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So long as the mag chloride is dry, I’ve never given it much mind. When still wet, it’s death on a stick.

cerebus
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Yep, the Mag Chloride is like lubricant, no good for motos. Really, really watch sealcoated parking lots that have been treated or pulling into them after riding on treated roads in cold temps.

Werd. That's how Cerebus dropped the 'busa in the work parking lot about this time of year two years ago--5 MPH, but enough to crack the tupperware.

denver_whitest185
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM
there was A LOT of gravel up in rist canyon a few weeks back, and i locked up front wheel and took a spill :(

luckily no damage to me, and it was under $40 to fix everything except the obvious plastic damage.

chad23
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
there was A LOT of gravel up in rist canyon a few weeks back, and i locked up front wheel and took a spill :(

luckily no damage to me, and it was under $40 to fix everything except the obvious plastic damage.
lesson learned stay off Rist.... That road has sand on it all year round. Good to hear your ok though