PDA

View Full Version : First Day

dm_gsxr
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I had to take Rita's car in today. I stepped out to check the weather (26* and drizzling rain) and slid down the driveway. I figured it was probably a little slick to be on the bike. There were only a few roads (secondary) that might have been a little iffy had I taken the bike anyway and a couple of "salt" trucks.

It sucks, but it sucks less than waking up in the ambulance or not waking up at all :shocked:

Ride Safe

Carl

Squisha
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM
If I were the only one out there on the road, I'd be more likely to venture out on two wheels. However, since IQs drop sharply when there's precipitation, it's just a little more adventure than I need.

Joecycle
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
First day for me too. :( I woke up to the sound of my neighbor hacking the ice off his windshield and figured I should take the car.
I think the roads were fine, but it's everyone else that adds to the concerns of icy"ness riding.
Although taking a car felt kind of luxurious. I mean I listened to music, drank some coffee, had the heater warming me up. I almost felt spoiled.

Stay safe out there everyone!

Devaclis
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
My wife made me ride with her today in the car :(

Girls smell icky!!!

TFOGGuys
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I too, was undecided as to whether to ride today, until I stepped out on my front porch and busted my ass. It now has a big crack in it.

http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/cracks.jpg

McVaaahhh
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I too, was undecided as to whether to ride today, until I stepped out on my front porch and busted my ass. It now has a big crack in it.

http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/cracks.jpg

Your ass, or the porch?

2wheelsgood
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
yeah it was chilly on the scoot today here in westminster. rode a mile or so up to the Safeway. got a nod from some cager dood stopped at the light, lol. :-) This was after noon in westminster, didn't see any ice, guess it all melted by the time i needed to hit the store.

aircooled motor warms gloves up real good. :-)

regards,
r

TFOGGuys
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Your ass, or the porch?

http://sf0.org/media/lowteck/mooning16991.jpeg

2wheelsgood
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM
come on... nobody rode today but me? lol no way man

DavidofColorado
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM
I rode 50 miles today. I should have put the lining back in my coat. I didn't have coffee or heat but there was music.

2wheelsgood
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
I rode 50 miles today. I should have put the lining back in my coat. I didn't have coffee or heat but there was music.

that's what i'm fkn talkin about. :-)

cold makes the motor run better.

DavidofColorado
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 01:44 AM
that's what i'm fkn talkin about. :-)

cold makes the motor run better.
It really does. Couldn't get the temp over 150 the whole time though. I would have like the fan to come on and warm me up like it would do during the summer when I didn't need it.

Devaclis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:02 AM
11 degrees when I left this morning. The bike still got to 176 on my commute in. Little bit of black ice out there so be careful.

dm_gsxr
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM
The real problem was the fog forming a thin sheet of ice over my face shield. I had to keep brushing it off :)

Still, a much better ride in this morning. I actually saw another rider heading south on a fully faired bike (like an old Vedder type Goldwing).

Carl

Devaclis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM
I saw the exact same thing Carl. But this dude, on a black Harley full dresser, decided to whip out in front of me as I was approaching an intersection. I was about 30 feet away and had to break pretty hard to setup for a possible swerve. He hit a pocket of ice and slid a little then regained control. I pulled up next to him, pointed and laughed, and then pulled away. Dumbass.

dm_gsxr
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I saw the exact same thing Carl. But this dude, on a black Harley full dresser, decided to whip out in front of me as I was approaching an intersection. I was about 30 feet away and had to break pretty hard to setup for a possible swerve. He hit a pocket of ice and slid a little then regained control. I pulled up next to him, pointed and laughed, and then pulled away. Dumbass.

Now now, it's not nice to make fun of the slower riders. :D

Carl

Devaclis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
haha being a slow rider had nothing to do with it. He is just a dumb human being :)

dm_gsxr
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
haha being a slow rider had nothing to do with it. He is just a dumb human being :)

Yea, um "slow" :D :D :D

Carl

TFOGGuys
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
19 and foggy when I left Aurora....23 and foggy when I got to the shop. Electric gloves rock! (I wouldn't be able to type this without 'em)

rforsythe
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Took the bike out today to get a good test of the gear in cold/wet stuff. All was pretty well except my visor kept fogging up, making it hard to see (especially on I-25 at 70mph). My gore-tex ice climbing gloves proved to be a good solution though, as they were soaking wet on the outside and my hands were dry. Right fingertips were a little cool from covering the brake lever but not bad. I think a Symtex heated grip kit will be about perfect. Also the Sidi waterproof dual-sport boots kick ass! Toes were cold but different socks may help there. Feet were totally dry though, which is remarkable considering how wet the road was (slush/snow).

LaneSplitter
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM
I put heated grips on my FJR last winter. Makes a world of difference in terms of safety. I now use my regular gloves down to the low 30's and even upper 20's for short (<30 mins) rides. The best part is that I've regained the road feel I had lost with winter gloves. This is huge when riding on roads with sand and melting snow.