PDA

View Full Version : Need new cell phone-suggestions???

Gainer
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
My work cut off my text messaging and web access to the phone they provide to me. Time to bite the bullet and get a new personal phone. I don't need a "smart" phone, but I would like to find something that is good for texing and maybe limited web access. I prefer AT&T or Verizon. Suggestions???

konichd
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I-Phone, hell I didn't even read the instructions and can use it, P-lock style!

Devaclis
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
BB curve /thread

PROFLYER
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
+1 on any blackberry. They have blackberry messaging which is like instant messaging so you can message anyone with a blackberry (no matter the service they have) for free. Iphone is cool but my fiance has had 2 now, the battery dies after 8 months or so and won't hold a full charge...it's not covered and you can't replace them! So you get to buy a new one which is ghey.

rforsythe
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I've had bad experiences with blackberries. On the other hand, Donna and I both have the iphone and love it. I don't know about the battery issues since our phones are still pretty new, but Applecare does cover that part so we're good there.

Gainer
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Anyone have experience with the LG Dare from Verizon?

Devaclis
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I am not saying the iPhone is bad. I have not used it a lot. But for texting and sending emails or doing anything that involves a lot of typing, the BB was made JUST for that. Having a full keyboard and tactile feedback helps make short work of long memos/texts/emails/web urls/google searches.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Steal Dana's Curve. /thread

Gainer
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Here are some I have found so far:

AT&T
Blackberry Curve $79 after rebate

Verizon
LG env2 $99 after rebate
LG Dare $149 after rebate

All the plans are the same price from either carrier.

Devaclis
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
depends on the plan. If you are not using enterprise activation (BES exchange email support) the AT&T plan for the curve is not bad.

You just need the DATA and TEXT plan.

Bashed
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I have one and like it.
I am tech challenged so am really not
an expert in these matters.
My wife wants to steal it if that is any indication.
The phone of course.
Peace Bash

Gainer
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
depends on the plan. If you are not using enterprise activation (BES exchange email support) the AT&T plan for the curve is not bad.
You just need the DATA and TEXT plan.

True, but Data & Text alone is another $50/month. Not sure it is worth it to me. My cable is already over $100/ month and that is rediculous. Not sure I need a phone bill like that too.

SamuraiX
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Just picked up one of these - Casio BOULDER.

vegasbound
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Think about the G1 from T-Mobile, the web experience is really great!

It's got the touch screen, full QWERTY keyboard, and a track ball, T-Mobile just launched the 3G network a couple weeks ago in Denver and it's fantastic! Plus it's a Wi-Fi device so any Wi-Fi network you can access really improves the speed. The unlimited data pack with unlimited messaging is only $35 plus your voice plan.

$179.99 with new activation.

utsv650
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
i have an iPhone and have loves it since day one of the first gen... but my gf just got an LG ENV2 and loves it... verizon for that one

shaver
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
My work cut off my text messaging and web access to the phone they provide to me. Time to bite the bullet and get a new personal phone. I don't need a "smart" phone, but I would like to find something that is good for texing and maybe limited web access. I prefer AT&T or Verizon. Suggestions???

My job just did the same thing to me. Who do you work for? I have a blackjack and like the keyboard on there.

pilot
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You can get a cheap ATT Motorola at Wal-Mart for less than $20.00. If you go with ATT and another phone, I highly suggest that you pick one of these up as a spare. Just in case your $200 phone goes in the drink and doesn't work afterwards. Just pop in the simm card and your off and running again. Hell, I have two back-ups. The price is right, they do text, but no internet. You may also find some older model Samsungs that can use the ATT/Cingular chipset. These do have internet.

Good hunting for a bargain.

Think
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I've got an env2 and it's great for texting.

Captain Obvious
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Have an EnV with Verizon.

I like the phone, the flip thing with the full keyboard is great for texting. I don't use the wireless, but it has it.

I am tired of Verizon though, ready to try a different carrier.

thatmofo
Thu Nov 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Verizon - treo 700wx all day long

slayermd
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Think about the G1 from T-Mobile, the web experience is really great!

It's got the touch screen, full QWERTY keyboard, and a track ball, T-Mobile just launched the 3G network a couple weeks ago in Denver and it's fantastic! Plus it's a Wi-Fi device so any Wi-Fi network you can access really improves the speed. The unlimited data pack with unlimited messaging is only $35 plus your voice plan.

$179.99 with new activation.

I was thinking about the G1 but I knew that Tmobile wouldnt have thier 3G out till Dencember (according to Engadget). Then I found out when I went into a store to play around with one and the sales guy told me.

Its a sweet phone, good price but a minus on the network (still working through 3g kinks).

DavidofColorado
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Have you thought about asking them to turn those features back on and offering to pay for it yourself? You will save money and they aren't out anything. Plus you won't have to lug around 2 phones.

Canuck
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
The G1 is crap. Crummy plastic design and it feels like a brick. The UI is really clunky, especially with the Internet. My Brother-in-law, who's phone I used to base this on, is not to trilled with it. He mentioned that T-Mobile will not have 3G in Denver area until next year.
Most people here know that I'm a Mac fanboy. I love my iphone, ever-since I had the first Gen in '07. When it works correctly, nothing else comes close in terms of functionality and technology. But, like most of modern day technology, it does give you fits at times, (slow UI, freeze-ups, and ATT's spotty 3G) which caused me to second guess throwing it against the wall.
And the 3G iPhone is the worst quality controlled Apple product in over 15yrs. Bad plastic molding on many of the White models. I've gone through 6 of them dues to hairline cracks. I have seen dust underneath the glass and light leakage from faulty installation.
This was all caused by the factory in China pumping out the new phones so fast to meet demand that QC suffered. To APPL's credit, they know about these issues and will replace any iPhone no questions asked.
To sum it up. I still love my 3G iPhone and have used most of the competition and some come close to being a better phone, but IMHO, they have yet to better it. I just miss the 2G iPhones quality, that's all.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM

My daughter (18 yrs. old and in college) has the LG Dare and loves the thing. She had the HTC Mogul and thinks this phone is 100% better. The rest of the family has the LG enV2 and it's not a bad phone either. Both are very capable phones for texting and both also accept a microSD card for throwing all your music on. I have the 1GB card with plenty to keep me busy.

Lots of other phones out there...guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and what you're going to be using it for.

Good luck.

chad23
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 08:08 AM
I have the LG Voyager and really like it. great for texting with the qwerty and is great for moble email and basic web browsing. and you dont have the $40 extra a month fee for blackberry

Sully
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Today - Crackberry introduced "STORM" their new phone...

http://www.everythingberry.com/

http://estore.vzwshop.com/storm/

I have a BB through work and it's fine.. I don't use it for pics or texting but to write e-mails, surf the net, etc - it's cool. :)

Devaclis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
I am pretty sure that when I posted "/thread" it meant that the thread discussion was over. Damn, you people are ignernt!!!

Nick_Ninja
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Verizon XV6800 --- does everything I need it to. Well, it could be equipped with an air compressor for tire inflation.

t_jolt
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
I still love my 3G iPhone and have used most of the competition and some come close to being a better phone, but IMHO, they have yet to better it.

HTC Touch Pro, I must say, i do actually believe that this is the one phone that does beat it.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Verizon XV6800 --- does everything I need it to. Well, it could be equipped with an air compressor for tire inflation.

Verizon XV6800 is the HTC Mogul I referred to in an earlier post...Just branded by Verizon.

Scribbler
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Today - Crackberry introduced "STORM" their new phone...

I have a BB through work and it's fine.. I don't use it for pics or texting but to write e-mails, surf the net, etc - it's cool. :)
Yeah, I've been eyeballin the new BB Storm. And will probably wind up getting it. However I'm waiting for reviews of the production model to start showing up.

All I've seen so far (some good, some not so good) are reviews based on the beta models sent out early for testing.

here's one review that's kinda in between the two extremes. But it's still based on the beta model as well.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122714533895043229.html

Snowman
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM
BlackBerry Storm is good iPhone challenger (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/27790427/)

slayermd
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
HTC Touch Pro, I must say, i do actually believe that this is the one phone that does beat it.

+1. That is a sexy device. But I think the Touch HD can beat the Touch Pro.

The G1 is crap. Crummy plastic design and it feels like a brick. The UI is really clunky, especially with the Internet. My Brother-in-law, who's phone I used to base this on, is not to trilled with it. He mentioned that T-Mobile will not have 3G in Denver area until next year.
Most people here know that I'm a Mac fanboy. I love my iphone, ever-since I had the first Gen in '07. When it works correctly, nothing else comes close in terms of functionality and technology. But, like most of modern day technology, it does give you fits at times, (slow UI, freeze-ups, and ATT's spotty 3G) which caused me to second guess throwing it against the wall.
And the 3G iPhone is the worst quality controlled Apple product in over 15yrs. Bad plastic molding on many of the White models. I've gone through 6 of them dues to hairline cracks. I have seen dust underneath the glass and light leakage from faulty installation.
This was all caused by the factory in China pumping out the new phones so fast to meet demand that QC suffered. To APPL's credit, they know about these issues and will replace any iPhone no questions asked.
To sum it up. I still love my 3G iPhone and have used most of the competition and some come close to being a better phone, but IMHO, they have yet to better it. I just miss the 2G iPhones quality, that's all.

You are right about the G1, it is boring and bricky looking. The UI I thought was smooth and not clunky. I use the Tilt with WinMo6.1 (cooked) and that is the defenition of a cluky UI. As far as 3G with tmobile, read THIS (http://androinica.com/2008/11/12/t-mobile-3g-coverage-makes-its-way-into-the-denver-area/). 3G is already here with them.

Gainer
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
I am pretty sure that when I posted "/thread" it meant that the thread discussion was over. Damn, you people are ignernt!!!

I guess that shows how much people listen to you.

Devaclis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
wat?

Gainer
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming.

GhettoChild
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have the HTC Touch Pro and its real nice, but pricey. I also have a Q9C which is great, full QWERTY and amazing battery life.