PDA

View Full Version : WarStory

DeeStylez
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
Went down on my bike yesterday. Not in Colorado, but thought I would share my story. Decided Thursday morning I would go out for a ride 45miles one way to the next town. Weather conditions clear skys 40 degrees no precipitation. Well I didnt get very far, just one block from home and went head first into the pavement. I was only going 10-15 mph when I lost control and laid the bike down still really cant figure out why my back tire did somewhat of a fishtail that sent me straight to the pavement. Accoridng to a witness who seen the crash from a distance said it almost looked like a car that was behind me may have clipped my back tire, in all honesty I am not sure if that was the case, everything just happened so fast. The injures were minimal bruised hip and headache. Xray checked out good and I was sent home with pain meds and muscle relaxers.
Bike damage: left turn signal, tank, left fairing, brake fluid reservoir need replacement.
Main reason I wanted to post this is to stress how important it is to have a helmet on when riding. If it wasnt for my helmet I almost guarantee I wouldnt be here typing this message today. I will post pictures of the bike when I get a chance. And for those who upgrade from a 600 to anything higher in CC's really be sure to take it easy for the first few months....... I am a pretty good size guy and that bike overpowered me.
As soon as I get word from my insurance I will be looking for parts, and put the bike back together and up for sale she goes. If I do decide to ride again it will be a 600cc bike.

Duran

Devaclis
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Man, D, good to hear you are ok after that header :) I would really like to see pics of your lid when you get them.

rforsythe
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Might have just slipped a cold tire on cold pavement, or hit a spot made slick by some oil or something. It happens... Glad you're ok!

chad23
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
good to hear that you had your lid on, heal fast

pilot
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
At ten to fifteen MPH your MC is very low on the gyroscopic force scale. This is caused by the rotation one or both tires. The faster they turn, the greater the force. It is easy for the bike to loose its directional stability at such speeds. Lacking this stability is one of the reasons that so many new riders struggle with keeping the MC upright (I'm not saying your a new rider, just making an example).

Also, being a big guy on a sportbike can increase the loop effect; this is where you begin to do a stoppie. When your CofG is higher than say, a smaller rider on the same bike, or better yet, a cruiser, this effect is magnified. Stiff arming the bars, which most riders do while riding, can increase the load on the front end and decrease it on the rear. A momentary loss of throttle--even caused by a lag in the torque curve, perhaps due by design or volumetric efficiency of the cylinders, or even running cold, can have a similar effect.

There were many other factors that could have contributed to your crash. It is good to read that you did not get run over by the car.

I'm sure everyone wishes you the best for a speedy healing and low repair costs.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear it man!

hcr25
Fri Nov 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Glad your ok!
You said the witness saw it from a distance, what about the car that was behind you? Did the driver of the car stop?