PDA

View Full Version : Parking Bike on carpet in garage?

tl1000riders
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm one of the riders who doesn't put my bike away for the winter. I ride it when the roads are clean and clear enough. Even if it's around the block. I was wondering if parking my bikes on carpet in the garage makes a difference? I move the bikes often to prevent hard spots in the tires. (I need to buy some bike stands.)For the time being does putting them on carpet help? Thanks peeps!!:)

Devaclis
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
What kind of difference? I have been parking all of our bikes on carpet and we ride all year. I just to it to keep crap off the floor and because it is comfy to work on. Not sure of any diffence versus concrete

tl1000riders
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
What kind of difference? I have been parking all of our bikes on carpet and we ride all year. I just to it to keep crap off the floor and because it is comfy to work on. Not sure of any diffence versus concrete
I was just wondering if it made a difference as far as the tire being in direct contact with the concrete.

Sean
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
I'm with you Mike. I park outside (year round) and was thinking of putting down a piece of wood or something just so it didn't sit on hard frozen concrete. I wonder if there are any benefits?

PsychoMike
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
your bike will like you more.

BigE
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
So when you ride... do you have a little helper unroll the carpet along your route? :D

Devaclis
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Nah. No real difference. Leaving my warm garage is just the same as leaving my freazing parking spot at work. Never really had a negative or positive effect

frank2
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Bike Stands!

FZRguy
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I’ve read that over a period of months, such as during a winter layup, the concrete can react with the rubber and cause damage to the tire. It’s probably along the lines of leaving a battery on concrete will discharge it, which is a myth. At any rate, I park my bike on carpet too.