PDA

View Full Version : 10 Commandments for Concealed Carry(Massad Ayoob)

The Black Knight
Sat Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Fantastic article by Massad Ayoob. I hold Ayoob in high regard for his knowledge and expertise with those who Conceal Carry. He's got alot of good tips and advice for those who do carry. Thought this was a excellent write up from him on the do's and don'ts of Concealed Carry, as I know there are several of us on here that do carry. Thought I'd share it.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/10-commandments-of-concealed-carry/?email=products_img

Here's a small exerpt from it:

Don’t Let The Gun Make You Reckless
Circa 1970, armed citizen Richard Davis invented the Second Chance vest, concealable body armor that for the first time could be worn constantly on duty, under the uniform, by any police officer. Some alarmists speculated that “being made bulletproof” would cause cops to become reckless. Those fears turned out to be totally unfounded. As any officer who has worn armor can attest, the vest is a constant reminder of danger and, if anything, makes its wearer more cautious.

It is much the same with concealed firearms in the hands of responsible private citizens. People unfamiliar with the practice fear that “the trigger will pull the finger,” and armed citizens will go looking for a chance to exercise their deadly power. This, too, is a largely unfounded belief.

The collective experience of ordinary, law-abiding people who carry guns is that they don’t feel a sudden urge to go into Central Park at three o’clock in the morning and troll for muggers. They learn that being armed, they are held to what the law calls “a higher standard of care” and are expected to avoid situations like traffic arguments that could escalate and, with a deadly weapon present, turn into killing situations.

Like an officer’s body armor, the armed citizen’s gun is a reminder of danger, a symbol of the need for caution. The late, great big game hunter and gun writer Finn Aagard once wrote, “Yet my pistol is more than just security. Like an Orthodox Jewish yarmulke or a Christian cross, it is a symbol of who I am, what I believe, and the moral standards by which I live.”

PROFLYER
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I carry and I follow all of those. Thanks for the link, I'll pass it on.

RyNo24
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I am going to carrying in the next month, and I will be fallowing every one of those.

shaver
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I always carry, everywhere, all the time. Good post.

I find myself avoiding everything that could potentially be a situation. I've also found myself avoiding certain parts of the city since I carry.

DavidofColorado
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
I always get caught without when I need it the most.

Get a gun that you can carry everywhere like a wallet and you won't learn the hard way like I did.

DARK ANGEL
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
i carried in florida but since moving here have to get my permit, no problem. I feel that carrying is a good thing in this day and age, and i have never found myself in a situation nor put myself in a situation to where i needed to use. It is for those times that trouble finds you and there is no way out for you or another victim near you and deadly force is a necessity but only when deadly force has been shown or inflicted upon another person.