PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Ninja ZX-6R Head Gasket

thatmofo
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Has anyone taken theirs into the shop for the recall?

Edit 11/25/08:
I called the dealer today and they said that it's a Cylinder Head Gasket that must be replaced. There is something about the casting of the cylinder that is causing the leak. It's a factory authorized repair which means that they will replace it on bikes that are experiencing the problem.

konichd
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Metalord8 (Chris) has the same issue on his ZX6R. I don't know if he's taken it in though. If its under warrenty Grand Prix or G-Force can take care of you.

MetaLord 9
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
head gasket or head cover gasket? I replaced the head cover gasket on mine. what's going on with the bike?

thatmofo
Sun Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I was reading that there was a recall on the head gasket. I'll know for sure when I call the shop on Tuesday. The recall # is MC08-16, but I can't find any other information about it.

MetaLord 9
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Damn, shoulda logged into KawiForums more often to have seen this...
Here's what happened to mine:

I noticed the problem back in August when I hit somewhere around 8k. The damn thing kept leaking but I never got a light & the oil level wasn't dangerous so I just kept riding. Did an oil change and all the new oil started leaking out too. I finally just called around looking for the damn gasket, found it (with a NEW part number...) and replaced it myself. If I'd known the damn dealership woulda done the work I wouldn't have missed out on a couple extra days of riding... Not sure if it's still leaking or not. I'll know more after my next oil change, but the bike's about to 13k and it's run fine the entire time.
Dunno about you, but I only noticed that it was leaking when the bike's temp got upwards of 180-190ish. I noticed it trickling down my LSL slider and dripping onto my clutch side fairing making it look like the bike was bleeding. You know if the "repair kit," or whatever they've got for it, is anything more than the new gasket?

thatmofo
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I called the dealer today and they said that it's a Cylinder Head Gasket that must be replaced. There is something about the casting of the cylinder that is causing the leak. It's a factory authorized repair which means that they will replace it on bikes that are experiencing the problem.

Sortarican
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
You should definitely take yours in Chris.
Maybe to the place you bought the valve cover gasket from and see if they can get Kawi to refund your money.
They should have told you about the warrenty coverage on the head gasket when you went to buy the valve cover.
(Unless you didn't mention it was leaking, then how would they have known.)

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Only problem is that I bought the gasket in longmont. Plus I'm still not sure which piece of rubber we're talking about. The head gasket requires pulling the entire head and probby dropping the engine. It's a fairly involved procedure. Also, it looked like the oil was leaking out farther up than the head gasket, it looked more like it was coming out of the valve cover gasket to me. I'll call grand prix & see what the deal is.

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Just called Grand Prix & it's the head COVER gasket, not the head gasket. Big ol' difference there!

Since it's the part I just replaced and I'm not sure if I got the updated gasket or not, I'm gonna have to call RMK & see what's up & whether or not they can get Kawi to refund my money. Also might need to take 'er in for the work too. If I do then it'll be at GP or Fay

navajowalks
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
your supposed to replace the o-ring washer things on the cover bolts too. And like somebody said there is a new part number for the cover gasket. just call a dealer and give them your vin and they should give you the scoup.

thatmofo
Sat Dec 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Just had mine done. The paperwork has Part Number: 99999-0178; Description: Gasket Kit on it. Haven't ridden more than twelve miles though so I haven't been able to see if it's still leaking.