PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new bike

FALCONSEYE
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi, Looking to purchase a new 600cc bike. Honda CBR 600 or Suzuki GSX-R 600?
Live by Colorado and i25. Thanks for the help in advance...

McVaaahhh
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
craigslist is your new friend.

McVaaahhh
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
If you seriously want help looking for a bike and aren't just getting your post count up so you can sell something you may want to add a little more information.

Budget?
What are you going to use it for? (commuting, Canyon runs, track days, stunting, squiding, etc)
Are you open to others?
Why 600cc only?
What's your experience level?

BeoBe
Mon Nov 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I did see another member selling his gixxer 600 for a good price.. But yea this all depends on if you are looking for brand new etc.

But pretty much what mcvaaahhh said, a little more input on what you are looking for would be alot more helpful.. IMO not a huge difference in 600-750 but to each his own i guess

FALCONSEYE
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
If you seriously want help looking for a bike and aren't just getting your post count up so you can sell something you may want to add a little more information.

Budget?
What are you going to use it for? (commuting, Canyon runs, track days, stunting, squiding, etc)
Are you open to others?
Why 600cc only?
What's your experience level?

Uhm, no sir. I don't care about the post count and you may find my answers below:
Budget - less than 10k.
use - just for pleasure, i am a newbie so no commuting, track days, or stunting.
open to others- sure, what did you have in mind?
600cc - cuz i am a newbie.
experience - none.

Now, I know that I could have start with a 250cc or a much lesser bike. After taking the riding course and practicing on a friend's used bike, I think i will be fine. It's a great time to purchase something ...

PROFLYER
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Good call on the rider course. You really can't go wrong with any jap sport bike, they're all pretty much the same at your experience level anyway. I really like the newer R6's however and one can be had thats a year old or so for pretty cheap (6-7k)

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Are you open to buying something used or does it have to be NEW ??

konichd
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hi, Looking to purchase a new 600cc bike. Honda CBR 600 or Suzuki GSX-R 600?
Live by Colorado and i25. Thanks for the help in advance...

If you want to compare each bike we have a 07 CBR 600RR and a GSXR 600 that you could try out to help your decision making. If you decide you like one over the other we can point you in the direction of a couple dealers we do business with :)

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27515

there you go... 07 R6 - $6K

McVaaahhh
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Uhm, no sir. I don't care about the post count and you may find my answers below:
Budget - less than 10k.
use - just for pleasure, i am a newbie so no commuting, track days, or stunting.
open to others- sure, what did you have in mind?
600cc - cuz i am a newbie.
experience - none.

Now, I know that I could have start with a 250cc or a much lesser bike. After taking the riding course and practicing on a friend's used bike, I think i will be fine. It's a great time to purchase something ...

+1 on the riding course.

Since you're a noob I'd suggest NOT buying a new bike. Chances are you're going to drop it at low speed and it won't hurt as much if it's a slightly used bike rather than a new one you brought home from the dealership.

The performance of all of the japanese 600's are going to be quite comperable, especially for a noob that's not going to ride it anywhere near it's max. Unless you're partial to a particular brand or color scheme/style I'd suggest sitting on them all and finding the one that's most comfortable for you and that you can ride all day. :up:

asp_125
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Don't forget to budget some for gear and insurance. Good call on the course. I would recommend looking at the second tier sportbikes like the SV650 and Ninja 650R, or GSX-650 as well. They are not as demanding as the full on supersports for a newbie.

t_jolt
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
+1 on the riding course.

Since you're a noob I'd suggest NOT buying a new bike. Chances are you're going to drop it at low speed and it won't hurt as much if it's a slightly used bike rather than a new one you brought home from the dealership.

Also ask another member on this one. I forget his name. Bought a brand new 600 ninja. Dropped it twice or three times and then tried to sell it for mucho $$$. Buy used, its a lot easier to forgive yourself for mistakes that way :)

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think Sparker is selling his speed triple and Night Owl has an R6 for sale... :idea:

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I think Sparker is selling his speed triple... :idea:

fixed it for ya! :bananna:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26723

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM
damn you Salsa.. now I sound like I have bad grammar ! :rant: lol

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
oops... :oops:

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Look at a 500 too. It's gonna feel a lot like the 250 with a good deal more power, but not enough to kill yourself if you make a mistake. People often scoff at getting a lower cc bike, but the truth is that they hold their value, so if you buy used you're basically renting the thing until you decide to sell it, PLUS they are a hell of a lot more forgiving. The first time you have to sneeze in the middle of a corner and accidentally hit the throttle, what's gonna happen?

Now everyone's gonna say "blah blah blah a 600cc bike is a perfectly good starter bike" and you can pick one up and be fine, but they're not designed to be starter bikes. You don't learn stick in a Porche.

No matter what size you go with, for the love of God buy used

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Look at a 500 too. It's gonna feel a lot like the 250 with a good deal more power, but not enough to kill yourself if you make a mistake. People often scoff at getting a lower cc bike, but the truth is that they hold their value, so if you buy used you're basically renting the thing until you decide to sell it, PLUS they are a hell of a lot more forgiving. The first time you have to sneeze in the middle of a corner and accidentally hit the throttle, what's gonna happen?

Now everyone's gonna say "blah blah blah a 600cc bike is a perfectly good starter bike" and you can pick one up and be fine, but they're not designed to be starter bikes. You don't learn stick in a Porche.

No matter what size you go with, for the love of God buy used

Silly... that's not a porche, it's a Ferrari! :slappers:

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Salsa, your bike has Lambo Doors on it doesn't it.
:D

asp_125
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27547&highlight=bandit

Learn and get all your newbie drops out of the way.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27010

rybo
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I agree with most of what's been said here:

My additions:

There are older 600's that are perfectly fine starter bikes

Basically 1998 and older 600's are forgiving rides that will do well with a newer rider on them.

That being said, and if you want a newer bike, I'm a big fan of the SV650, the Ninja 650 (twin) and the GS500. All are fine bikes and a lot of fun to ride. My favorite of all time is the NT650 Hawk, but good luck finding one of those in decent shape.

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
ex-500 (Ninja 500) FTW!!!

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Salsa, your bike has Lambo Doors on it doesn't it.
:D

If you can't pop yo' collar... pop yo' doors...

asp_125
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM
... and if you are open to naked bikes.. Ducati Monster 600 series.

FALCONSEYE
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
+1 on the riding course.

The performance of all of the japanese 600's are going to be quite comperable, especially for a noob that's not going to ride it anywhere near it's max. Unless you're partial to a particular brand or color scheme/style I'd suggest sitting on them all and finding the one that's most comfortable for you and that you can ride all day. :up:

Wow, a ton of responses. Thanks to all of you! I would like to add couple things to what have been said already. I am not liking the naked bikes as much.
I am sure that I will drop the bike several times. I started by looking around for a used bike but I found out that something that is not abused is as much as a new one. i.e. $7500 for a used 07 gsx-r 600, where I can buy a new 08 for the same money.

If I could find a used but not abused bike for $6k - $7k, I will be happy. All is talk is making me get all excited. yeee...

Also, how good are the frame sliders?

By the way, 09 honda cbr 600 looks very sexy...

rybo
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
You know, I'd say go with a $3500-$4000 bike for starters. Get an older bike, get comfortable riding and enjoy. Lower taxes, lower registration, lower insurance...etc. When you decide that you want something newer, it WILL hold more of it's value that the newer bikes will, so you can either sell it, or trade it in.

Frame sliders are a good thing. I recommend Woodcraft ones as they seem to be extremely well built compared to some others I've seen. They are not the be all end all of bike protection, but they help.

You know I've seen in this thread a lot of people suggesting that you're going to drop the bike or fall down, and lord knows I'm not someone to have much of a comment on this matter, but I don't think you should "plan" for it per say. It's a very real consequence of what we do, but frame sliders or not the best way to keep your bike looking nice is to NOT fall down or drop it. Practice really good habits, keep learning, take an advanced rider course in the spring to keep your skills sharp.

First time pilots don't "plan" to crash. As new riders we shouldn't "plan" to drop the bike or "crash". Pilots train to have extremely good habits that greatly reduce the chances that they will crash and we can do the same thing.

s

FALCONSEYE
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
You know, I'd say go with a $3500-$4000 bike for starters. Get an older bike, get comfortable riding and enjoy. Lower taxes, lower registration, lower insurance...etc. When you decide that you want something newer, it WILL hold more of it's value that the newer bikes will, so you can either sell it, or trade it in.

Frame sliders are a good thing. I recommend Woodcraft ones as they seem to be extremely well built compared to some others I've seen. They are the be all end all of bike protection, but they help.

You know I've seen in this thread a lot of people suggesting that you're going to drop the bike or fall down, and lord knows I'm not someone to have much of a comment on this matter, but I don't think you should "plan" for it per say. It's a very real consequence of what we do, but frame sliders or not the best way to keep your bike looking nice is to NOT fall down or drop it. Practice really good habits, keep learning, take an advanced rider course in the spring to keep your skills sharp.

First time pilots don't "plan" to crash. As new riders we shouldn't "plan" to drop the bike or "crash". Pilots train to have extremely good habits that greatly reduce the chances that they will crash and we can do the same thing.

s

good points.

Sortarican
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
good points.

You wouldn't say that if you've seen RYBO on the track.:lol:
(He may not "plan" to crash, but it sure looks like it sometimes.)
J/K, Scott knows his shit.

Though it's more of a sport/tour riding position, there's this gsf600 which is a nice entry level bike:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27547

OR

Try out a couple bikes before you buy:(shameless plug fro DK)
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26866&highlight=rental

FALCONSEYE
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I just found this deal: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/933567501.html
Since I don't know much about a bike, another thing i am afraid of is being cheated. If it's not too much to ask, could somebody help me out picking a bike (perhaps test drive it for me)? Promise, i will buy you a beer....

Sortarican
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
That's not a bad deal if it's in the condition stated.

I'll buy YOU a beer if you let me test ride it.:lol:

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
well....... it is a Honda.... do not want :lol:

rybo
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
:slap: ^

don't listen to her, the 600RR is a great bike

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
start at kelly blue book (www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com)) or another similar site to get a good idea of what the trade-in value of a bike you're looking at is. The owner can really only count on getting that if they trade it into a dealer so that's a good start price. If the bike is not in perfect condition then that price needs to be lower. Again, I urge you to buy an older and/or lower cc bike.

The insurance on the bike you're looking at is gonna be a little high too, so I'd take that into consideration.

If a bike's been dropped or "abused" and still runs just fine then it's probably a perfect starter bike because you don't have to worry about dropping it yourself. Something about the old adage "there are 2 kinds of riders: those who have been down and those who are going to go down" comes into play here...

As far as test riding, you're gonna need to ride it yourself. Sure one of us might be able to spot something wrong with the bike if we ride it, but you need to be comfortable on the bike first. If you're dead set on getting an '07 model, head to a dealership & see what they've got. Sit on a couple and find out what you like. You may find out that the bike you love looking at doesn't fit you b/c it's too tall or too fat, or cramps your legs, or whatever. Don't rush into something just because you're drooling about being on a bike. A lot of the good roads are sandy, closed, or lousy this time of year, so it's not like you're wasting the season away.

Sean
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
my .02
I agree with Rybo. As a brand new rider, I bought a Yamaha R6 (same basic difference as a CBR/Ninja/GSXR) that was 5 years old. While still a supersport I feel it is a little more forgiving than a newer one. Great to learn on and plenty of speed (trust me!). Now, it's been 2 years and I feel my capabilities getting closer to riding the bike towards it's potential. Plus, if it's a few years old and not as shiny as a new one, you won't cry if you scratch it up (yes, which I have done). Good Luck and welcome to the beginning of a great addiction!

FALCONSEYE
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
start at kelly blue book (www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com)) or another similar site to get a good idea of what the trade-in value of a bike you're looking at is. The owner can really only count on getting that if they trade it into a dealer so that's a good start price. If the bike is not in perfect condition then that price needs to be lower. Again, I urge you to buy an older and/or lower cc bike.

The insurance on the bike you're looking at is gonna be a little high too, so I'd take that into consideration.

If a bike's been dropped or "abused" and still runs just fine then it's probably a perfect starter bike because you don't have to worry about dropping it yourself. Something about the old adage "there are 2 kinds of riders: those who have been down and those who are going to go down" comes into play here...

As far as test riding, you're gonna need to ride it yourself. Sure one of us might be able to spot something wrong with the bike if we ride it, but you need to be comfortable on the bike first. If you're dead set on getting an '07 model, head to a dealership & see what they've got. Sit on a couple and find out what you like. You may find out that the bike you love looking at doesn't fit you b/c it's too tall or too fat, or cramps your legs, or whatever. Don't rush into something just because you're drooling about being on a bike. A lot of the good roads are sandy, closed, or lousy this time of year, so it's not like you're wasting the season away.

Thanks again. A seasoned rider might notice something that I wouldn't otherwise. So, Sortarican I will touch base with you later.
I am 6'2 and 195lbs. I sit on couple bikes. The cbr seemed to be a little lower than gsx-r. It seemed like I would lean forward a bit more on cbr and putting more weight on my wrists and forearms. By the way, how much do you think the insurance will cost?

sky_blue
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I just found this deal: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/933567501.html
Since I don't know much about a bike, another thing i am afraid of is being cheated. If it's not too much to ask, could somebody help me out picking a bike (perhaps test drive it for me)? Promise, i will buy you a beer....

I have that bike and it is FAN-TASTIC. AND HAWT. Glad it was my *second* bike and not my first bike. Could I have learned to ride on it? Sure. But I made some dumb mistakes on the GS500 I started on, and I got away with them because that bike had less power, and a less responsive throttle/engine.

Did I get bored on a smaller bike? Yeah, after a year I got a little bored, so I made some performance modifications and learned to ride at the track. After another year I was a little bored again so I bought my 600. I kept the 500, but I could have sold it for only about $500 less than I bought it for, and I had ridden it for two years.

Many here would be happy to check mechanical condition of your future purchase, but be aware that private sellers may not let anyone test ride the bike they're selling. Some people are cool with it, some not. Lots of liability in letting a stranger take off on your machine, even if they are an experienced rider.

t_jolt
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Falcon your close to my build, I would also try sitting on a 03-05 R6. It was one of the best fitting bikes ive sat on for my body type

sky_blue
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks again. A seasoned rider might notice something that I wouldn't otherwise. So, Sortarican I will touch base with you later.
I am 6'2 and 195lbs. I sit on couple bikes. The cbr seemed to be a little lower than gsx-r. It seemed like I would lean forward a bit more on cbr and putting more weight on my wrists and forearms. By the way, how much do you think the insurance will cost?

Your body weight should be supported by your core/stomach muscles. You should not be leaning onto the handlebars...

asp_125
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Something a new rider may not be aware of.. supersports are small bikes. I'm 5'-10" and even I find the CBR 600 to be small, compared to my gixxer. If it feels small in the driveway, imagine how cramped it will be on a ride of any distance. Then again I'm not as flexible with an old knee injury so YMMV. Also pick it for the kind of riding you want to do. Me, I am just getting warmed up at 50mi, easy to do around here. There are a bunch of us who like to go on all day rides. You really want to find a bike that's comfortable for those.

Weight on the wrists and forearms have to do with fit as well. I had a Ducati 750 that hurt on long rides. My advice starting out? Don't pin your hopes on any one specific bike. It's your first bike and not your last. Tastes change all the time so go test sit on as many bikes in that category that you can.

Oh.. also consider the Yammi FZ-6 and Kawi ZR7-S as perfectly good alternatives, especially if roominess is a factor.

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Depending on your driving record and what insurance company you have will determine your cost of insurance. You're 35 yrs old, so that should help a bit. My insurance is cheeeeeeeeep for my bike $30ish a month.. :)

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Depending on your driving record and what insurance company you have will determine your cost of insurance. You're 35 yrs old, so that should help a bit. My insurance is cheeeeeeeeep for my bike $30ish a month.. :)

+1 I pay $20/month on an 07 Speed Triple through State Farm.

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
The flip side of that is my insurance, even though I've got a great driving record, my bike by itself on a policy is more than my monthly payment on the thing. I'm in the 25-30 age bracket & saw a price cut at 25 too.

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM

show off !!! :p lol

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:34 PM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-dog-pictures-so-there.jpg

Sully
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
:cry:... even your bike is sexier...

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-dog-pictures-sad-face.jpg

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Sortarican
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I pay $150 a year for two bikes.
(It's good to be the King!)

salsashark
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I pay $150 a year for two bikes.
(It's good to be the King!)

:bow::king:

Devaclis
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Not following the thread too closely. Still looking? I may have an option for you, shoot me a PM

DFab
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
sv650sf. Great bike for your skill level and body size. Cheap to buy and insure.

Devaclis
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Oh, and I pay $0 for my insurance. I make my wife pay all of it. Suckers.

hcr25
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I found this at Britt Honda
http://www.brittpowersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=8924502E-02X11K25K2008J5I25I15JPMQ3155R0&veh=14064&pov=1006454

FALCONSEYE
Tue Nov 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I found this at Britt Honda
http://www.brittpowersports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=8924502E-02X11K25K2008J5I25I15JPMQ3155R0&veh=14064&pov=1006454

why $5899?

hcr25
Wed Nov 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM
My guess is that $5899 is jsut the starting asking price. NADA book value on that bike is $5830 and Kelly blue book is a few hundred less im guessing. It looks like a clean bike with low miles though.
mike

Sully
Wed Nov 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
How about blueball ? ;)

hcr25
Wed Nov 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
How about blueball ? ;)

What?

Sully
Wed Nov 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
:lol:.. never mind..

Jim_Vess
Wed Nov 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27547&highlight=bandit

Learn and get all your newbie drops out of the way.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27010

+1 on the Bandit. They make a nice starter bike. A friend of mine started on a 2001 and I was bummed that she didn't tell me she was selling it until it sold. I would have bought it, especially since I was the one that kept it maintained for her.

GregsGSXR
Thu Nov 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
... and if you are open to naked bikes.. Ducati Monster 600 series.

And you get to learn how to be a mechanic too!!!

t_jolt
Thu Nov 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
:lol:.. never mind..

Stop teasing him sully :)