PDA

View Full Version : riding without mirrors

caz
Sat Nov 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Alright... so I see a lot of guys riding locally here without any mirrors. I'm posting this and am hoping that I won't get flamed... lol. Anyone been pulled over simply for not having mirrors? Just curious...

DevilsTonic
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Nope...been pulled over for speeding, didn't see the cop behind me until another pulled in front of me...he didn't say shit about the mirrors, I got a hearty ass chewing about my speed. :)

I definately feel safer with mirrors on my bike, so i'll need to find a good replacement to my bulky stock mirrors.

Matt
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Technically its illegal to ride without mirrors. I only know one person who was pulled over because they didn't have mirrors, the cop just talked to him and didn't ticket him.

jah
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM
motorcycle street requirements colorado.gov/revenue/dmv
-Head Lamps At least one and not more than two head lamps. Every head lamp shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches or less than 24 inches.
-Tail and Stop Lamps and Reflectors
At least one tail lamp, one stop lamp and one reflex reflector. Such lamps and reflectors may be incorporated in a single unit and shall be at a height measured from the center of the lamp of not more than 72 inches or less than 15 inches. Head lamps, tail and stop lamps must be equivalent to lamps used as original equipment on motorcycles manufactured for highway
use.
-Brakes At least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.
-horn audible not less than 200 feet.
-Muffler
-Mirror with a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet.

DevilsTonic
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Most of the after market mods a lot of us do to our bikes are considered illegal, it's just a matter of whether you are going to take the risks of getting tickets for it.

I have a 138dB air horn on the bike
red led marker lights
no mirrors
after market exhaust
No license plate light
plate isn't visible

knock on wood, i haven't been cited for any of that stuff yet. Seems to me that the cops are cool with a lot of 'illegal' mods, what they aren't cool with is wreckless endangerment.

SaShWhO
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
laws are as such................................yadayada.
unfortunately sportbike mirror technology stagnated some two decades ago insofar that the only clearly visible objects are ones elbows.
Never trusted my mirrors and dont mind breakin the law a bit so I have not abided to MC mirror laws since 89 and have never been as much as repramanded.
Like princess Leah said..better this than freeway stunting etc
whatever.......................................... ................................................

asp_125
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I've seen some with small 1"dia. bar end mirrors which suits the "spirit" of the law. I think you can get em cheap at bicycle stores.

Devaclis
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I had 1 small 2" mirror on my Hawk and never got hassled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/IMG_0321.jpg?t=1228069708
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/IMG_0316.jpg?t=1228069752
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Motorcycles/IMG_0322.jpg?t=1228069735

Of course, I had NO speedo, no rear signals, disconnected kill switch, cored muffler, and some other things that may have not been technically legal as well :)

Captain Obvious
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have 1. Never been hassled.

Easier for a quick look, but I always look over my shoulder for turning, lane changes, stop lights, etc. The mirrors are a bit small on sportbikes and without moving my arm to see behind me, all my mirror shows is my sleeve.

Jim_Vess
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I got a faulty vehicle ticket back in 1986 for not having mirrors on my bike.

I'd just moved to Boulder after getting out of the Navy and was taking my bike for a spin after the freight company dropped it off. I'd taken the mirrors off and drained the fluids for shipping. I couldn't wait to take it for a ride, so I filled all the fluids and figured I'd go for a short ride before I installed the mirrors. The cop saw me pull out of my driveway and pulled me over about 100 yards up the road.

"Thanks for your service to our country and welcome to Boulder. Here's you ticket." It sucked. I hadn't even gotten out of second gear before he stopped me. :(

I guess it all depends on the cop's attitude when he/she pulls you over.

BTW, the best mirrors I've ever used are the OEM mirrors on my R6. :up:

PsychoMike
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
damn, i have no horn

Captain Obvious
Sun Nov 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM
damn, i have no horn

Neither do I, watch for finger.

200sr20
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm with Sash and Leah on this. My bike is not legal in many respects and the only way I could see anything behind me with my mirrors is to chop off my arms.

Slo
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
No mirrors here for a couple years on the Busa, have had plenty of local authorities around with no hassles. Will be getting something along the lines of CRG mirrors though, too much of a pain without them.

Sortarican
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Yes, you have to have at least one mirror mounted on the bike.
(Unless you have breasts, then like Leah you can break any law you want and get away with it.)

I once got pulled over for only having one mirror and no turn signals on an old DT400 enduro.
Cop didn't know the law. After arguing the point he called it in and dispatch confirmed that he was wrong.
(Luckily he didn't notice the illegal nobie tires.)

SamuraiX
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
I like to be able to see and know that people behind me have seen MY brake lights, and that they are stopping - lots of riders are killed every year just sitting at a red light or stop sign- when someone from behind runs them right over. you need 100% awareness front and back @ all times.

DevilsTonic
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM
(Unless you have breasts, then like Leah you can break any law you want and get away with it.)...The cop that gave me a ticket this morning must've been deaf and gay cuz he was wearing hearing aids and I didn't get away with shit. :)

gtn
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
The cop that gave me a ticket this morning must've been deaf and gay cuz he was wearing hearing aids and I didn't get away with shit. :)

State, Sheriff, town? Where were you?

caz
Mon Dec 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Wow... Thanks for all the replies guys. I posted this and hadn't checked it since. I think I'm going to get some Vortex block-off's and pick up a CRG and call it a day. I hate the way the stock mirrors look, they're not very functional, and it's always been a habit of looking over my shoulder while riding...

dallas
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
On my last 3 bikes I have used bar end mirrors. I have never been able to see out of stock mirrors on any bike. The only time the bar end mirrors were obstructed was when I mounted saddle bags for a trip. Check out this company:

https://www.motobatteries.com/c-26-mirrors.aspx

I have owned 2 sets of these bar-end mirrors and I can vouch for them for speeds in excess of 150.*

*(All speeds in excess of legal speed limits were obtained on a closed course by a professional driver.:bs:)

asp_125
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I use similar ones (Motrax Minis) on my SV. They actually vibrate less than the stockers due to their short stem.

BigE
Tue Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
I like to be able to see and know that people behind me have seen MY brake lights, and that they are stopping - lots of riders are killed every year just sitting at a red light or stop sign- when someone from behind runs them right over. you need 100% awareness front and back @ all times.

+1

sprtbkbabe
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Owners of Ducatis, MVs, or Aprilias would ask you, "you can see out of your mirrors?!?!?" :lol::lol::lol:

Ghost
Thu Dec 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Owners of Ducatis, MVs, or Aprilias would ask you, "you can see out of your mirrors?!?!?" :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe they just prefer to see blurry images of their pretty elbows...

-=-

FWIW, get the CRG. I have the 2" folding model, and I love it. It's slick and non-buzzy, and you can actually see out of it once you adjust to looking down for the mirror instead of the typical in-your-face stock location.